Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I guess this is the proper place to put this.

http://www.voltcanada.ca/Frequently-Asked-Questions-ebikes-electric-scooters.htm

Here in Ontario, e-bikes can travel on the street, in regular traffic. These riders can ride on the street, without license or insurance. All that is required is that you are at least 16 years of age, and that you wear a helmet.

I think that this is the most ridiculous thing ever. So, if an e-bike rider causes an accident (cuts someone off, cuts in front of someone, hits a car door and dents it, etc.) they are not required to have any insurance?

Further more, the probability of that happening is greater because on top of having no insurance, they aren't even required to know the rules of the road.

Does anyone else know the laws regarding e-bikes in your particular state or province?

I am sure that many if not most are licensed drivers that know the rules of the road, but I am also certain that there are many, many exceptions.

I had this conversation with a guy a while ago, and he asked me "where does it stop? Should people on bicycles have licenses and insurance too?"

I don't know the answer, but I think it would start with motorized (gas or electric) be a good starting point for license requirements.

Thoughts?

Matt

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
cool! they have pedals...

You don't need a license to ride something that has pedals?

I'm moving there and put some pedals on my 900. :)

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I have a neighbor here in Ga. that rides his gas powered bicycle on the streets all the time, but dont think he even owns a helmet, sure has no insurance on it, and has no registration. I feel if he uses the same roads as I do, he should have to follow the same rules! I have to have insurance, current registration, and always wear a helmet. Just dont seem fair to me.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a neighbor here in Ga. that rides his gas powered bicycle on the streets all the time, but dont think he even owns a helmet, sure has no insurance on it, and has no registration. I feel if he uses the same roads as I do, he should have to follow the same rules! I have to have insurance, current registration, and always wear a helmet. Just dont seem fair to me.
My big beef with this is that if you are on the streets on or in a motor powered vehicle, and you have the ability to cause a major accident, then you should also have the responsibility of proving you know the rules of the road (AKA; a license) and the ability to repair/cover any damages that occur from your actions, AKA; insurance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts