Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not new to customizing the exterior of a bike, or the intake and exhaust, but I've never played with the computer before. I'm wondering if the Dynojet programmer, or any other programmer, is really worth it? And is it better to do the Intake and pipes first or with the programmer adjust for them afterwards?

Are there any other systems I should be looking at?

And one more thing, what web site do you guys use to look up or order aftermarket parts from?

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Some folks love the Cobra fi2000 series, some love the PCV. The PCV is better if you like to tweak and experiment, the Cobra if you just want to plug it in and go. And you will get folks on both sides saying the other doesn't work for them. Welcome to marketing! I went all the way with the PCV and Autotune fully wired to include the speed/gear sensor, so I can actually create my own custom maps for each gear.

Until you change the intake system and exhaust, a tuner really isn't going to do much for you.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I'm not new to customizing the exterior of a bike, or the intake and exhaust, but I've never played with the computer before. I'm wondering if the Dynojet programmer, or any other programmer, is really worth it? And is it better to do the Intake and pipes first or with the programmer adjust for them afterwards?

Are there any other systems I should be looking at?

And one more thing, what web site do you guys use to look up or order aftermarket parts from?
I have both the Cobra Powrpro 2000 and the PCV with Autotune. One is on my VTX1800 the other on my Vulcan 900. Both bikes have aftermarket intakes and exhausts. The Vulcan has the secondary throttle plates removed as well. The Powrpro is a really simple device to install while the PCV with Autotune requires a knowledge of mechanics and electronics. As stated, if you like to monkey around with your bike then the PC may be a better choice. If it's plug 'n play you want then the Powrpro is the equal to the PC for bringing out the most from your aftermarket accessories.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply guys, I'm planning on doing the pipes and intake first, but heard a few people talking about the PCV and thought I'd ask first. Other then pipes, intake, and PCV is there anything else I can do to bring the performance up. I'm happy with the 900, but like anyone I'm always looking to get the most out of it.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Usually doing the pipe isn't a problem, doing pipe and air intake often makes them run even leaner than it already is. In that case the tuner kind of seals the deal. Typically you need all three to see the real benefit of any, other than more noise from the pipe.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys, I'm planning on doing the pipes and intake first, but heard a few people talking about the PCV and thought I'd ask first. Other then pipes, intake, and PCV is there anything else I can do to bring the performance up. I'm happy with the 900, but like anyone I'm always looking to get the most out of it.
Once you have the big three in place you can remove the secondary throttle plates. If you have the PC with Autotune you will need to do a run to adjust your map. If you have the Powrpro just ride and enjoy the improved response.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Until you change the intake system and exhaust, a tuner really isn't going to do much for you.
It probably won't make an enormous difference but with tight emissions standards and these lean-running bikes it will help even a stock bike. Probably a minor bump in power and a bump in fuel economy; in addition to eliminating decel popping.

Some people get the pipes and intake, THEN get the tuner. IMO if you're going to do it one piece at a time get the tuner first! Even if you don't need it to keep the engine running; it'll keep the engine running it's best!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts