Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my new Freedom Pipes and getting to have it dyno. I called an independent local shop and they wanted $400 to tune it. I went to Kawasaki Dealership to pick up the exhaust gaskets and asked them about getting it there and they told me $135. Why is it so much different in price?

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
Did you get it dyno'd?

And told ya the pipes were not complicated to put on :)

That's an outstanding price for a dealer to do a dyno.

Usually it's the opposite. The only dealers around here that have a dyno seem to be the "larger" Harley shops. They want 400-600 for a dyno. Crazy!!

A mom-pop shop about 15 min from me has a dyno. Probably the only local "non-dealer" around here with on. (They had bought it from some dealer somewhere going out of business). Anyways, they charged me $200.

Even at $200, they are making money hand over fist. It does not take long to dyno.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not have time to bring the bike for dyno yet. I'll try to set it up for this Saturday. They are very busy on weekends. Hopefully they'll take me this week.

I follow your advice for the pipes installation. I did the top pipe first with no problem. I then install the bottom pipe and have problems with the heat shield hitting the frame. I try to pry the pipe back, the pipe cracks (two hair line cracks). After I finish I did not feel the air at the hair line cracks. I hope they are OK.

·
4,906 Posts
The pipes cracked?? I'd RMA them. Or at least the one pipe.

the pipe was hitting the frame??? Or the heat shield? And where?

something was wrong, cause the only place I'm even close to the frame is up front, near the radiator.

Perhaps post a pic of where it was on the frame?

But.. I'd RMA it.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Any hack can put the bike on a dyno and "tune" it for peak power, but miss then mark in an overall sort of way.

A buddy of mine had his Yamaha cruiser dynoed a few times to finally get something decent. Firrst time was great power but terrible gas milage, second time was good gas milage but little increase in power, third time was about right he thought, then sold it for a Harley. Now is repeating that cycle again on the HD. Just got it back from some alleged guru and he's pretty happy with it now, but it wasn't cheap.

·
4,906 Posts
I just checked, and my lower pipe is sitting about there. It looks like that's how it's suppose to be.

Kind of hard to tell with the below pic, hope it helps though. Being nighttime, I had to use the flash, and it bounces off the chrome.

The shiny "thing" in the middle is the pipe, the bottom shiny thing is the floorboard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The replacement pipes came in today. I installed them without problems. Thanks to smedlin for tips and advice to RMA and get the new replacement. Now I can setup an appointment for dyno.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
That frontal view of the pipe does not show a crack. It shows the seam in the tubing. This is on any mass produced tubing made a certain way. If it shows through the chrome, it is a bad exhaust system.

I would try a different manufacturer if the quality control is so bad you have "cracks" and one pipe hits the frame.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That frontal view of the pipe does not show a crack. It shows the seam in the tubing. This is on any mass produced tubing made a certain way. If it shows through the chrome, it is a bad exhaust system.

I would try a different manufacturer if the quality control is so bad you have "cracks" and one pipe hits the frame.
The Heater,

Many people have these pipes on their bikes without problems. My bottom pipe is a bit off. I try to pull it back so it doesn't hit the frame and allow me to install the heat shield. I heard it pop (split) while prying on it. The replacement fits perfectly without problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts