Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So i am being driven to the point of frustration with exhaust popping, ive run through countless methods trying to sort it so now im thinking about putting it on a dyno.

I have a powerflo and slash exhaust, which is causing the popping. I have tried to tune it out with a fi2000 but IMO its not very good at it. I have read a power commader is better but expensive!

My questions are:

Do i need any other piece of kit, such as a power commander, before dyno tuning?

Does anyone know what ohm resistor they use in there 02 eliminators (if they have they have them) all the ones i have bought are crap, going to the shop tomorrow to pick up a bunch of resistors and test them, would like to have an idea in mind before i go.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
If you do not have a fuel controller, a dyno tune will be of no use.

Is the idle adjusted to factory specifications?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If you do not have a fuel controller, a dyno tune will be of no use.
I think sfair is right here. You really haven't done much to require dyno tuning.

Additionally - is it really popping any more than it did with the factory exhaust, or is it that you can just hear it more now? Curious.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the bike is second hand, so i never experienced the factory exhaust. Let me run through where i am at with trying to remove the popping

1. Marbled
2. Remove exhaust and replace gaskets + high temp silicon
3. Tried tuning with fi2000 and o2 eliminators (o2 eliminators regularly fail and the fi2000 does next to nothing)
4. Removed fi2000 and replace o2 sensors - This is the best the bike has sounded so far, but its only been a day!

So the next steps im thinking are find a set of o2 eliminators that will actually work, then buy a power commander . I have read though the power commander isn't all that either. Any opinions?

I believe the idle is at factory settings, its a nice steady sound, not a slow gargle. I don't have a rev gauge to clarify.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
the bike is second hand, so i never experienced the factory exhaust. Let me run through where i am at with trying to remove the popping

1. Marbled
2. Remove exhaust and replace gaskets + high temp silicon
3. Tried tuning with fi2000 and o2 eliminators (o2 eliminators regularly fail and the fi2000 does next to nothing)
4. Removed fi2000 and replace o2 sensors - This is the best the bike has sounded so far, but its only been a day!

So the next steps im thinking are find a set of o2 eliminators that will actually work, then buy a power commander . I have read though the power commander isn't all that either. Any opinions?

I believe the idle is at factory settings, its a nice steady sound, not a slow gargle. I don't have a rev gauge to clarify.

Kind of obvious, but have you tried various fuel octanes? I have read that higher octane fuels will induce the popping as well. Mainly due to unburnt fuel getting into the headers and pipes then igniting there. I have experienced this 1st hand. Thinking when i 1st bought mine that running premium fuel is better. Nope, it popped all the time. Now I run the lowest grade ethanol fuel I can get my hands on and it loves it. FI of course, can't speak to carbureted models. Just a thought!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the Big 3 on my bike, and when I first started riding it, I had the idea that the highest octane fuel was the cleanest and best for the bike. I had pretty obnoxious amount of decel pop, so I tested the different grades of fuel and have settled on the regular or 87 octane. No loss of power or response, and the decel pop has all but disappeared. Bike runs great off the lower octane fuel, so I see no reason to force the 'good' fuel on it at this point. I would suggest following DeputyLoud's advice and trying the other fuels to see if that will give you any improvement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts