Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for feedback from anyone who uses these to balance there tires.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I used them in my GL1200 and they worked great. Only issue is they prevent you from using any kind of "goo" based sealants in the event you have a flat and need quick way to get somewhere safe.

I'm also not sure about how well ride-on would do in the winter months. The viscosity has to increase when it's cold and I don't want to get a horrible out-of-balance situation if the bike sits in sub-40 degree temps for weeks before I get a warm day to ride.

I think from a tubeless perspective the DynaBeads would be better and a plug to fix any small nail holes. Some beads might stick to the plug on the inside but the excess should do their job and balance it out till you could get somewhere to get a proper patch or a new tire.

Anyone with winter Ride-on experience care to chime in?

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
I will be using them for the first time this Friday with a new front tire... well see I guess....

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Using them front and rear on my 07 V2K. No problems at all seem to do the job just fine from in town to high speed highway riding. I used 3/4oz up front and 1 1/2oz in the rear tire.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I know this is a little of topic(sorry op) but has any one used these on large trucks? The reason I'm asking is I drive a 30gvw truck daily at work and even when they balance them they don't stay balanced long and the darn thing will scramble your squash between 32 and 40 mph and in town that is most of the time.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
TS the larger tires were what these were originally used for because you would be pounding lead forever to balance the size and weight, then there is the loosing weights problem. The beads are captured inside the tire cant go anywhere until you take them out and constantly adjust to changing speed and tire conditions. I have an automotive degree not a physics degree so I wont try to explain or justify how they work but have used them for years and it they work great.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yeah that's what I thought. Tomorrow some top executives with my company are doing a field audit (which is an official sounding version of what does this stuff look like any way) of a job I have been working on for a while that is something new for us and I will offer one a ride to see if I can get some relief.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
The Balancing Beads have been working great in my Commander IIs which have nearly 18,000 miles on them, have also used the beads in my earlier stock tires and my previous bikes.

Results for me is a smoother overall ride.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
A tire installer used Dyna-beads in the tires on my 900 and they seemed just fine.

I used Ride-on in my Voyager because of a slow leak. It seemed to provide a stable ride as well.
You can read about my experience here. http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51386

When I changed my front tire before Christmas; I installed the axle and let both ends sit on my jack stands. (before adding Ride-on)
My idea was to see for myself that the balancing dot on the tire was placed correctly.
There is a heavy spot on my front rim directly opposite of the valve stem and balancing weight. It did not matter how I oriented the tire, it still settled to the same heavy spot.
It's been kind of bugging me; so I've ordered some weights from Partzilla and plan to pull the front wheel and eliminate the heavy spot.

But, when it comes to Balancing additives; I still choose Ride-on for the flat protection aspect.

Scott

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm using Dyna beads front and rear, I like E'm. I was able to remove the wheel weight on my front spokes with the Dyna beads in there and the bike feels way smoother. I still have some vibrations probably from various sources but the before and after difference is quite noticeable. I carry a can of fix a flat always and if I get a flat the tube is going to get replaced anyway so I don't care about the Dyna Beads at that point.
I had a flat once in Florida and the Fellas in Starke,Fl at Knuckle Draggers Cycle shop replaced my tube that had the fix a flat in it but I made sure they knew it first. I felt guilty they only charged me like $35 dollars for the repair, here in Ct it would of been a hundred.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've used them in the past. They balance the tire fine, but I have not found the claim of the manufacture of increased mileage to be true. There kinda a pain to get through the valve stem. End the end I went back to regular balancing.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
There kinda a pain to get through the valve stem.
You don't put them in while the new tire is being put on the rim???

I did about 250 miles today (group ride) since getting the new front tire and beads yesterday.... Like any new tire/tires it felt great on the road.

I could not tell the difference from a weighted tire. I am assuming the difference comes as the tire wears and the balance points change. Conventional weights increase an imbalance as the tire wears. I can see where maintaining a good balance through the tires life would be good.

The tire I changed was a perfect example of weighted tire wear. The tire felt slightly out of balance but not enough to get concerned about, the tread was just getting to the wear bar, but there was one spot the size of a dime that was down to no tread at all left (in the center) Hopefully the beads keeps that from happening as much.

Plus one in our group got took out with a van doing a u-turn today. Driver of the van, no drivers license, no insurance, 6 month old van. The group I was with was all cops/retired cops.... It was not a good day for the driver of the van.... he went to jail.... and his van too... :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
You don't put them in while the new tire is being put on the rim???

I did about 250 miles today (group ride) since getting the new front tire and beads yesterday.... Like any new tire/tires it felt great on the road.

I could not tell the difference from a weighted tire. I am assuming the difference comes as the tire wears and the balance points change. Conventional weights increase an imbalance as the tire wears. I can see where maintaining a good balance through the tires life would be good.

The tire I changed was a perfect example of weighted tire wear. The tire felt slightly out of balance but not enough to get concerned about, the tread was just getting to the wear bar, but there was one spot the size of a dime that was down to no tread at all left (in the center) Hopefully the beads keeps that from happening as much.

Plus one in our group got took out with a van doing a u-turn today. Driver of the van, no drivers license, no insurance, 6 month old van. The group I was with was all cops/retired cops.... It was not a good day for the driver of the van.... he went to jail.... and his van too... :)
You can put the beads in either way. I change my own tires, and found it very difficult to keep the beads in the tire while I was trying to get the next tire bead on the rim. Some would slip out, and get stuck between the lower rim and bead. I was concerned they might cause a slow leak around the rim. So I resorted to installing them through the valve stem (one of DynaBeads installation methods) after the second tire bead was in place and seated. They balanced the tire fine, I just didn't find they improved tire wear any, and there pricy.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
I know a guy in Nevada that uses an old diff gear oil plastic bottle that has that pointed tip. He put the beads in it then squirts them into the tire through the valve. He uses a short (6 inch) plastic tubing between the bottle and valve stem.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I know a guy in Nevada that uses an old diff gear oil plastic bottle that has that pointed tip. He put the beads in it then squirts them into the tire through the valve. He uses a short (6 inch) plastic tubing between the bottle and valve stem.
Ya; DynaBeads use to supply a little 2 or 3 oz bottle with a short tube to squeeze the beads in. Worked better than trying to let gravity do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just this Dec I replaced the rear tire on my 2012 Voyager and I used a 2oz packet of dyna beads. The worst issue I had was getting the beads to go thru the valve stem and fall into the mounted tire. The beads were backing up in the supplied installation tube. I tried tapping the valve stem with a screw driver and bouncing the tire up and down which didn't work. I resorted to using compressed air on the installing hose to keep the beads flowing thru the valve stem into the tire. Just use small bursts of air.

After installation was complete the tire felt great and there were no signs of being out of balance. It's been perfect for these first 1500 miles since the new tire was put on.

·
Registered
287 Posts
DynaBeads

Just this Dec I replaced the rear tire on my 2012 Voyager and I used a 2oz packet of dyna beads. The worst issue I had was getting the beads to go thru the valve stem and fall into the mounted tire. The beads were backing up in the supplied installation tube. I tried tapping the valve stem with a screw driver and bouncing the tire up and down which didn't work. I resorted to using compressed air on the installing hose to keep the beads flowing thru the valve stem into the tire. Just use small bursts of air.

After installation was complete the tire felt great and there were no signs of being out of balance. It's been perfect for these first 1500 miles since the new tire was put on.
The compressed air sounds like a great idea. I would like to know how many miles you eventually end up getting out of that tire, and if its more than you usually get.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts