Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I think not all the people here happy with that overpriced kawi mp3 audio cable, so anyone can make it by himself.

All you need is kawi type connector from here http://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=229&category_id=58, three wires of individual lenght, and any 3,5 mm stereo jack that can be found in any radio shop.

There are three wires in the harness - green and two other (i just dont remember), so green is the Ground and others are Left and Right channels. All you need is crimp or solder wires accordingly. I used crimping tool to crimp kawi connector wires and solder jack wires.

Your new 5 dollar cable ready!

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Thanks for the link! will try this soon. I searched and had no luck on the connector piece of it. The rest (soldering, etc) is no problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great post! I don't how knowledgeable you are about the Kaw wiring, but if you could do detailed post on how to build the XM radio connector, that would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I plan on ordering this connector in a few days and trying it out. I will be glad to post what I did if it all works as planned

·
Registered
213 Posts
What USB charger are folks using? I'd like to hardwire one in my glove box.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
i haven't hard-installed one yet. I use a 12v plug adapter in the 12v outlet right now and just run the cable into the glove box to charge my phone while riding. But I was giving this link by VGER last week on what looks like a good option

·
Registered
645 Posts
Boscoe... The first USB outlet I put on a bike was a 3BR Powersports one from Pashnit at about $45 which I installed on my Nomad.

I took that off the Nomad when I sold it, and mounted it up front on the Voyager under the radio - drilled a couple of holes in the fairing plastic and double sided tape / zip-tied it there, packed out just a little - where I can reach to open the waterproof cap.

Then I bought a very similar Chinese copy off Ebay for heaps cheaper, and have fitted that one inside the trunk. It looks just the same, works just the same (and probably came from the same factory), and provides easily enough juice to charge 2 amp mobile devices.

One thing I learned from the Nomad fitment though... Don't run them straight to battery. There's a very small current draw due to the voltage drop down from 12V to 5V, and if the bike sits for any length of time off-season, your battery will be drained. I have them wired to the accessory outlets on the Voyager so no problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mp3 plug in

Took your advise and ordered the plug. Instead of a male connection, I went with a female connection, bought at Radio Shack for $3.50 for two of them in the package. Hooked it all up and it works just like the $60.00 model. Not bad for a $10.00 rig. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took your advise and ordered the plug. Instead of a male connection, I went with a female connection, bought at Radio Shack for $3.50 for two of them in the package. Hooked it all up and it works just like the $60.00 model. Not bad for a $10.00 rig. Thanks for the post.
I'm glad I can help people to save some $$, you're welcome :)

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Just got around to making my cable this past Sunday. Got the connectors you posted, PND, last fall. Went out this past weekend and just bought a $5 3' male-to-male 3.5mm audio cord. Cut one end off, spliced and soldered it to the pins of the connector, inserted the pins into the connector, and perfect cable - for under $10. works perfect! thanks again for the suggestion PND!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi there!

I think not all the people here happy with that overpriced kawi mp3 audio cable, so anyone can make it by himself.

All you need is kawi type connector from here http://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=229&category_id=58, three wires of individual lenght, and any 3,5 mm stereo jack that can be found in any radio shop.

There are three wires in the harness - green and two other (i just dont remember), so green is the Ground and others are Left and Right channels. All you need is crimp or solder wires accordingly. I used crimping tool to crimp kawi connector wires and solder jack wires.

Your new 5 dollar cable ready!
When you order the connector - does it matter which "Insulation/Seal size (HM MT)*" you order? 1.3-1.7mm (SUM1-SL1) or 1.7-2.7mm (SUM1-SL2)? Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you order the connector - does it matter which "Insulation/Seal size (HM MT)*" you order? 1.3-1.7mm (SUM1-SL1) or 1.7-2.7mm (SUM1-SL2)? Thanks.
hmmm... when i made my order there was no cuch an option like Insulation/seal size... I think you should consider the wire gauge you plan to use. I suppose 1.3-1.7mm would be perfect (if this means wire diameter).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts