Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone run a different tire size than what is recommended for the voyager? The specs call for a 170/70 tire and i was thinking about a 180/65 Dunlop.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Does anyone run a different tire size than what is recommended for the voyager? The specs call for a 170/70 tire and i was thinking about a 180/65 Dunlop.
The Harley Davidson dealer I bought my Voyager from put 180/65 Dunlop Elite 4 on mine, before I bought it. Must have needed a new rear tire on it, so they put the recommended size for an FLHT. That decision was made for me by them, but I have had no problems with it.
Whenever it wears out, I'll need to decide whether or not to go back to the Bridgestone and stock size. For now though, it rides good and handles well. No rubbing anywhere.

·
Registered
412 Posts
What kind of riding are you doing? Something with a nice hard strip in the middle is best for lots of long straight roads. On my sport bike it came with a 180 and I installed a 160 when it was time, the turn in was much quicker and the bike felt lighter overall with the reduced rotating mass. I didn't push it hard enough to need the extra grip that a 180 would offer under hard throttle coming off a corner.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Definitely good for open road touring. Comfy. I don't ride too aggressively so I don't notice too much wallowing in turns. With a 895 lb. Bagger, carving canyons might be asking a bit much. (Although I did do Deal's Gap on a Gold Wing, a couple of times, with a passenger!) The 1700 Voyager seems a little cumbersome at parking lot maneuvers, so the fat rear tire won't matter with that! Our '08 Heritage uses a 160, and it is pretty decent. I had Dynas, Sportsters, and some Hondas that were very good, but they used narrower rear tires and were half the weight, too. They were very good on curves. I still love the Voyager though! Michelin's and Metzlers are good. We used to call Bridgestone Exedras, "Excedrines", because it gave us a headache, the way they cupped and crowned so early!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got much better tire mileage when I switched from the Bridgestone rear to the American Elite. I still use the Bridgestone front though - get very good results.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply's i also found a thread on another site with plenty of people running the larger tire. The reason for the Dunlop was the multi compound they use i really like a softer rubber when hitting the twisty's especially in the rain. I went for my sticker today and the owner/mechanic noticed i didn't have much life left on the tire (to my surprise) so after a good conversation and checking the bike weight he feels the tire is underrated for the weight of the bike and that will lead to low tread life. The bike calls for a 75H and the Dunlop is an 80H, not a lot better, but better. If the weather is good we'll be heading to deals gap and spending a week down their so a new tire will be on before we leave.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks for the reply's i also found a thread on another site with plenty of people running the larger tire. The reason for the Dunlop was the multi compound they use i really like a softer rubber when hitting the twisty's especially in the rain. I went for my sticker today and the owner/mechanic noticed i didn't have much life left on the tire (to my surprise) so after a good conversation and checking the bike weight he feels the tire is underrated for the weight of the bike and that will lead to low tread life. The bike calls for a 75H and the Dunlop is an 80H, not a lot better, but better. If the weather is good we'll be heading to deals gap and spending a week down their so a new tire will be on before we leave.
That will work out perfectly. A few miles to scuff the newness off, and then lots and lots of twistys! Enjoy!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Best handling rear tire I've run is a Dunlop Elite 4 in 160/80-16. Sticks like glue and wears much better than the stock tires. And a bonus of the 160/80 is your speedo will be accurate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i may be mistaken but isnt 180/65 the size of the michelin commanders others are running on their 1700 vulcans

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah, i've got that Michelin on now, second season. Grunted alot getting it on the wheel.
Didn't notice much difference from the stock tire size.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts