Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D:confused::eek:
Have you ever done a really dumb thing with or to your motorcycle?

My dumb! ( "DOPE!!!!!" )
While parking for gas (for the motorcycle, not me!) today, I just stepped off my bike without extending the kickstand.

Once I tried to start my bike with my house key. I flicked the key into the motor area, never to be found again.

This got me to thinking ,..... has anyone else ever have a "DOPE!!!!" moment with your motorcycle?

·
Registered
189 Posts
So far not yet really. Other that the occasional stall at a light. That does really make me feel like a douchecanoe!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far not yet really. Other that the occasional stall at a light. That does really make me feel like a douchecanoe!
There is nothing like low speed motorcycle maneuvers to make one feel foolish. lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
Lol yeah when I first started riding I spent many of Saturday in a church parking lot practicing the clutch stroll duck walk and figure 8s. I looked some stupendously graceful! Lol did I really just say figure 8 and stupendously? Geeez!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I think I have a classic that the wife won't let me forget. Nothing to do with a bike but funny never-the-less. After working a double I got up the next moring and made coffee and fed the bird. After about 10 minutes I walked back into the kitchen to a squalking bird and a pot of yellow water. ??? In checking out the birds issue I noted a seed cup full of coffee grounds, and guess what was in the coffee pot! Aargh! Yup, Boiled Bird Seed! I'll never live it down.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Well I've got to go back quite a ways to remember the most stupid thing I ever did on a motorcycle. I'm 62 yrs old and I bought my first bike wihen I was 14 yrs old. I was in the 9th grade and worked after school in a grocery store to earn the money.

When I got the down payment saved up, my Dad took me down to the bank and co-signed on the loan. When we walked out of the bank he told me two things.

1. If you don't keep the payments up on the bike we will sell it.

2. If you don't watch what you are doing, you won't live long enough to pay the bike off.

One week later I was riding my new bike on the way home and I turned onto our street. It was a very low traffic street and I saw a friend of mine standing in his front yard on the corner lot. So I was waving at my friend and taking my eyes off the road for just a second as I was making the turn.

Then I looked and realized there was a car sitting dead in front of me and I had swerved into it's lane. As I immediately took my bike into the neighbor's yard to avoid a collision, I then noticed that is was my Dad in his car that I almost had collided with.

I had made a complete fool of myself in front of my friend and my Dad. I got a bit smarter after that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
yep, I once watched the super sport guys on tv and said wow, those guys can get their knees touching the road... I must not be using my alleged sport bike, not really but it was a Kawasaki
kpz 550 to its full potential ... next thing I know I tried to skim a knee, bailed in the corner and ran straight through someones property, err lawn....

rode home and told the wife.. don't let me do that again.. :eek:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I have a classic that the wife won't let me forget. Nothing to do with a bike but funny never-the-less. After working a double I got up the next moring and made coffee and fed the bird. After about 10 minutes I walked back into the kitchen to a squalking bird and a pot of yellow water. ??? In checking out the birds issue I noted a seed cup full of coffee grounds, and guess what was in the coffee pot! Aargh! Yup, Boiled Bird Seed! I'll never live it down.
Quest for the perfect coffee bean. lol

·
Registered
987 Posts
Dumb

Pulled over on the side of the road because I had just filled up and couldn't remember putting the credit card back in my wallet (old and tired). Let the bike come over onto the kickstand, and it kept going because I hadn't put the damn thing down (bent and busted). Got mad immediately at myself, rush of adrenaline and endorphines hit my old body (grey and wrinkled) and I flipped the bike right back up on its wheels again. Checked my wallet, card was right where it was supposed to be, memory (can't be trusted). Just a dirty old man:D

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I guess this dumb a$$ moment falls into the showing off for friends category.... I was 15 and we were learning to do wheelies and getting pretty good and cocky about it. So, here I go nice wheelie going out the drive way and into the front of our neighbors car. I thank god that she was only going 15 mph. Sent me to the hospital with only a few bumps and scraps. Bike or my ego didn't fair well (bent frame) plus an apology (no damage to her car as in the 70s cars were built like tanks...). Dumb a$$ part two, no helmet..... needless to say never did that stunt again, figured I used up all my lives with that one.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
My brain fart came the moment I got my bike Home after i bought it. I brought the bike home on a trailer, a 200 mile trip. Everything was hunky dorey, smooth sailing along the way. Got it in front of the house, released the left front strap... and DOWN went my Brand New Never Even Rode The Thang Bike on it's right side!!! My heart sank. It happened so fast yet the bike seemed to fall in Slowww motion and still I couldn't do anything to stop it. In my head i heard "you big dummy!" Thank God it has the highway bars. The bike rested on them and didn't get a scratch. But wouldn't you know it, my neighbor was sitting on his porch and saw the whole thing. Didn't offer any assistance, but he did offer up a good belly laugh

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
accidents happen when a person is tired and make mental errors, so it's time for a break
Amen!, You are so right. I do try and turn my brain on whenever I get on my bike. However, I suppose I should rev it up a few RPM. ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ever get that running desire to do the left hand "wave" only to realize you are in a cage? I almost busted the drivers side window out trying.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ever get that running desire to do the left hand "wave" only to realize you are in a cage? I almost busted the drivers side window out trying.
Yes today!, but I refrained. lol

·
Registered
259 Posts
look out for motorcycles!!!

that includes motorcycle riders like ourselves.

this is embarrassing but no one was hurt and i learned a very good lesson and i hope by sharing, you can also learn from my bonehead mistake.

i was in CA recently, in a car. as you may know, CA has crazy bad traffic and as you may or may not know, there is a lane splitting law that protects motorcycles while they ride between stopped traffic. this is legal and a part of CA life. what had happened was, i was in the HOV lane with the family, moving very slowly, (motorcycles are also allowed in HOV lanes as well), and without looking around, i moved the car to the right a little to avoid running over a small piece of tire. no big deal, just wanted to avoid running it over. then i heard a motorcycle exhaust out to the right and saw a guy on a bike about to knock into the mirror. while i was edging to the right, i was pinching this guy between two lanes of traffic. i swerved back as quick as 2mph can swerve and the guy expertly dodged the mirror as well. after giving me the 'salute' he went on his way and i slapped my forehead because i had just remembered the lane splitting law. i knew NY has it, forgot that CA did too. the rest of the 2weeks i was there, i looked between lanes as well for motorcycles, found plenty, and was able to give them an extra few inches. the only states i know that have these lane splitting laws are NY and CA as far as i know, but remember to check the local laws and to always look out for our brethren.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Sorry, lane splitting is NOT legal in NY. Confusion may come from 2 abreast riding which is legal here.
From newyorkbikerlawyers.com:
§ 1252. Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic (b) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. (c) No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts