Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a 2006 1600 Classic, we are going to install Harley hard bags and dual exhaust. I have a good friend that can weld and fab just about anything ( old school hot rodder)

1. Can we buy a Nomad exhaust and fab muffler hangers or better to get cobra exhaust and fab hangers?

2. Should we buy nomad saddlebag hangers and fabricate mounts to attaché Harley bags under or just fabricate bag mounts from the start?

Any help or die reaction will be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
304 Posts
cant help you, sorry...
but I would really like to see how this comes out, sounds like a fun project :dance:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Craig,Have seen it done,Bike for sale on local cl,was a 1600 classic,seemed the duels hung a little low,maybe the bags were smaller than the nomads,but its been done

·
Registered
249 Posts
My son has a 2006 1600 Classic, we are going to install Harley hard bags and dual exhaust. I have a good friend that can weld and fab just about anything ( old school hot rodder)

1. Can we buy a Nomad exhaust and fab muffler hangers or better to get cobra exhaust and fab hangers?

2. Should we buy nomad saddlebag hangers and fabricate mounts to attaché Harley bags under or just fabricate bag mounts from the start?

Any help or die reaction will be greatly appreciated...
If you look at this ebay listing 05 Kawasaki Vulcan VN1600 1600 Nomad Saddlebag Mounts Mounting Bracket Support | eBay
You can see how the nomad saddlebags are hung off the bike. If you are using Harley bags the stock Nomad bag set up will not work. The pipes hang off the bottom rail when using stock or cobra pipes. So you will need to fabricate both bag and pipe mounts.
Install the new pipes first. Then place bags where you went them, make a card board mark-up for bags. Harley bags have/need a pipe below the bags to hold them, you will see this when you get the bags. You use that pipe (going front to back, under the bags) to hang the pipes. Just bring the mark-up to your friend and you will be all set.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
Vulcangadgets.com

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have Harley hard bags on my 04 classic and used mutazu universal mounts and 3/4 inch poly spacers from Lowe's to space em out, looks pretty good to me. And I have both pies running out one side with room to spare. It can be done with a little patience.

·
Registered
115 Posts
And I didn't have to use the pipe under my bags for support, the brackets extended all the way to the bottom for plenty of support, you do have to watch for clearance of the shocks. It's a tight fit between the shocks and turn signals, that's where the spacers come into play.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bags look good Ron, nice job! Personally I vote for dual pipes if he can swing it, just my preference though :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree 100 percent, you would have more room that way and if I had the money I would go with duals myself. if I knew I could have a reputable muffler shop bend up my exhaust system that's what I would have done. but then again I would have to either have the exhaust chrome dipped or have heat shields bent up so yea I like the look too but would change the exhaust too but its what I got for now.

·
Banned
36 Posts
I mounted 1970 OEM Harley hardbags on my VN700....I used the OEM Harley mounts, then fabbed mounts to fit that...after that for awhile I was running StreetGlide pipe (nice mellow deep sound), but then switched to Sportster muffs and welded fishtails to the ends.....

But if yer gonna use Harley hard bags....use OEM mounts to start with.....I have a pair for sale btw.....but this way youre starting with a solid mount made for the bags, and just modding the attachment of it.....a lot easier and less work....

What year are the Harley hard bags ????

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine are 93-13 bags, got the bags for a measly 100 bucks new and hardware was a another 100 bucks, so I have less than 300 in them with brackets and everything. Not a bad deal I'm.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Thats a great deal.....and theyre OEM ????....wow....most OEM fiberglass bags go for $400 and up PLUS whatever for the monts.....I was lucky.....I mixed a 1970FL with a 1972 FX....when i sold the FX, I gave all the extra parts to a buddy.....he never used em, so got em back fer nuthin.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
now that's a better deal than mine I would say, them pics was when it was plastidipped and now I went back to the original color, white. I only have 70 bucks in the trunk so I try to find a good deal when I can. I cant afford the expensive name brand stuff, I go with what works for me and my budget. I bought the bike for 3500 and have less than 700 in it from the things ive dun to it. wouldn't trade it for anything.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Same here....who is LOADED with bucks ?....few....thats why I offer mods for bikes where I make only $10/hr.....mostly to just help folks out.....but I think Ive been labeled a "vendor" now and need special permissions and need to pay the site. Heh, my "company" made a grand total of $600 in 2015....so, I may not be around here much longer.....I cant afford to pay fees to post just because some poutain eatin bigshot says so.....(I love poutain, btw)....
I usually hit the swap meets to find stuff.....I make used into new.....helps out all of my brothers of the blacktop out there.....sure, I sell stuff, I been into bikes for 40 yrs....but Ive also given away parts for just the shipping cost....yep, Im a real vendor, lol.....definitely aint makin a livin off it....been 2 mos since i been able to afford to wash laundry....ya I stink like I
been in the woods for a month.....but its all i can afford......"vendor" they called me.......jeez !.........mebbe some day......

·
Registered
115 Posts
well you sound like a intelligent, cool cat. poutain, aint heard that in a minute. I try to do all the work myself instead of subbing it out due to not having that kind of money layin around. plus it gives me the satisfaction of a job dun right, which is in most cases. im planning on makin my own bag to fender gap eliminators so I can put a brake light led strip for more noticeability, you know for the people who probably have no reason to be driving with their phones stuck up their yaya, but that's just my rant. down here in florida you have to watch out for the elderly for the most part, bad...bad...bad...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wanted low exhaust on my Mean Streak so I could use low passenger floor boards. I ended up fabbing hangers from hardware store flat steel and angle iron for the Nomad exhaust. They mount under the passenger footpeg bracket. A local exhaust place welded them up.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts