Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's my attempt to document how I went about installing two FIAMM freeway blaster horns to replace the OEM horn on my 2013 900 Classic. I used one hi tone and one low tone horn.

I purchased a Song Chuan Power Relay & Connector (P/N 804-1A-C1 30A) on eBay. Having the connector harness makes for an easier replacement if this unit ever goes bad. This relay fits nicely out of the way in front of the slot below the hinge on the tool kit cover.

Here is how I have the relay installed under the seat:

And a close-up showing the relay model info and how I made the connections:

I made a custom brackets for each horn. The throttle side was just using the original FIAMM bracket but shortened a bit. You can also use the original Kawi horn bracket, but that is a bit longer and puts the horn closer to the cylinder head cover.

Throttle side:

Clutch side:

Fairly easy install with the hardest part being how to figure out how the relay worked. Now that I have that well understood, installing any future relays will be a breeze.

Reactions: Splat

·
Registered
529 Posts
That is a sweet setup. I just have one low tone on the exhaust side and its much nicer than stock. I am sure this is a real hoot to touch off. I pointed mine straight forward despite cautions from other forum members about it collecting rain and such. One downfall I found is that when your going fast, the wind seems to push back against the horn making it very quiet. Not an issue in town where you probably need it most. The way I figure it is if I point it down, then I am just blasting myself but maybe with a double like yours it would not matter. Let us know how that setup holds up long term.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far so good. I went for a long (240 miles RT) ride today. The only time I used them was to show them off to some friends I was riding with. They were all surprised at how loud they were.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Really nice job - always appreciate when folks take there personal time to post things like this - great job I want to upgrade my horn and may go this route.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
After some extensive knocking on wood I decided to post this:
I haven't had much trouble from cagers to the point where I needed to use my horn. There are SO many bikes and riders around here and plenty of year round riders that people seem to be on the look out for bikes. In fact, other than testing it to see if it works for state safety inspection and to toot it and giggle at the wimpy sound, I haven't used it. My 800 had an air horn that was so loud it would make a train stop (exaggeration but it was damn loud) and I only ever used it to scare people who were walking as I rode by. Was kinda funny to watch them jerk their heads around to find out what the heck it was. Maybe one day I'll upgrade the horn, but up to now (knocking on wood again) haven't had to use it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts