Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a while since I have been on the Forum, but some of the recent changes really suck.

Whenever I open any existing threads, the forum starts running dual pop-up ads at the top of the thread AND at the bottom of the thread - both ads are streaming video with sound turned on.
When you stop the one at the top, the one at the bottom just keeps running until you can scroll down to the bottom of the thread's page and stop that ad also.

Now I understand advertising is what keeps the forum running, and I do not mind the ad at the top....I can watch it if I want, or ignore it or stop it if I don't want it to run. However, when both ads are streaming it slows down my network, and if I don't have the sound turned off (like when I have music playing while I am browsing the forum) then the advertising sound just keeps yammering on & on & on until it either finally runs out of audio garbage or I have to go find it and kill it.

This will certainly make this forum a low-end choice for me when I want to find out information about my Vulcan 900. In other words, I will come here only when I cannot find answers elsewhere.

Like I said, I understand that advertising is what keeps the forum free for our use, but there is a reasonable ad limit for paying for the forum, and then there is just a gross overkill by jamming multiple ads down our throats.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Try voicing this issue in the forum updates and issues thread. This is supposed to stop ads when you log in (most of them, anyways). I have gotten less ads since the update.

Reactions: Romans5.8

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Definitely check your PC for malware as well. You can disable the sidebar in your settings (User CP -> Edit Your Details). But pop up ads aren't used on this forum, just banner ads.

It's not a bad idea to voice concerns in the feedback thread.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I was on my iPad earlier, but this is the thread I was talking about.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Using IE browser I do not have the AD issue whatsoever. Everything loads quicker and easier than ever. Must be in the settings.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Today I am getting the audible ads. DEFINITELY leave feedback in the thread. Unfortunately this is nothing we (MN-Rider and I) have any control or say on, that would be the company that owns the forum. But if you're getting obtrusive ads, let them know

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
I am not getting any ads at all? I am ok with that, LOL.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I posted about this in the thread the admins started about feedback for the changes made recently. I was told that if you log in to the forum, the ads go away. Difference for me now is, I used to be able to close my browser and open it again later and come here and still be logged in. Now I have to log in every time which is kind of a pain but not a huge deal. But once I log in, there are no ads. Look Here

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
The log in issue should be browser related. Mine logs me in automatically on my computer, phone and iPad. Make sure you check the box next to your log in information.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
The log in issue should be browser related. Mine logs me in automatically on my computer, phone and iPad. Make sure you check the box next to your log in information.
Yup same here. I do not have to re-login every time either.:nerd:

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I figured it out. Seems when they did the upgrade the "remember me" box was no longer ticked. I just logged out, and then logged back in with it ticked and no longer an issue.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It has been a while since I have been on the Forum, but some of the recent changes really suck.

Whenever I open any existing threads, the forum starts running dual pop-up ads at the top of the thread AND at the bottom of the thread - both ads are streaming video with sound turned on.
When you stop the one at the top, the one at the bottom just keeps running until you can scroll down to the bottom of the thread's page and stop that ad also.

Now I understand advertising is what keeps the forum running, and I do not mind the ad at the top....I can watch it if I want, or ignore it or stop it if I don't want it to run. However, when both ads are streaming it slows down my network, and if I don't have the sound turned off (like when I have music playing while I am browsing the forum) then the advertising sound just keeps yammering on & on & on until it either finally runs out of audio garbage or I have to go find it and kill it.

This will certainly make this forum a low-end choice for me when I want to find out information about my Vulcan 900. In other words, I will come here only when I cannot find answers elsewhere.

Like I said, I understand that advertising is what keeps the forum free for our use, but there is a reasonable ad limit for paying for the forum, and then there is just a gross overkill by jamming multiple ads down our throats.
Just get the AD Block Plus add on for Firefox. Works great. Even blocks the video ads on YouTube before the video plays.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Its generally frowned upon to tell people on the forum how you're blocking the money making features of the forum.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Its generally frowned upon to tell people on the forum how you're blocking the money making features of the forum.
Well if I could be proven that the Ads are not malicious. There are already ads listed as posts in this forum. I prefer to have total control over my internet experience. There is also No Script to block malicious animations in Javascript.

Webpages load much faster without the ads and animations. Now if the ads could be just a picture or something that would be different.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Well if I could be proven that the Ads are not malicious. There are already ads listed as posts in this forum. I prefer to have total control over my internet experience. There is also No Script to block malicious animations in Javascript.

Webpages load much faster without the ads and animations. Now if the ads could be just a picture or something that would be different.
I'm not saying you are right or wrong in blocking the ads, that's not my place. I'm saying it's not well received by the business owners who run this forum to tell others how to take money from their pockets. At the end of the day, this is a business to the owners.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Don't be a cheap bugger and buy a subscription .... forums do not survive on their own and guess what ... no ads.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Don't be a cheap bugger and buy a subscription .... forums do not survive on their own and guess what ... no ads.

@whiting57
I don't mind ads for the most part. I know they are necessary. But sometimes the ads, especially multiple video ads that play simultaneously can be obnoxious. Having more than one video ad play at the same time defeats the purpose anyway as they play over each other. I'm sure most would agree that ads aren't always a bad thing. It's just the multiple video ads. But as I stated above, once you log in, those videos disappear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts