Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a big fan of speed, but on the interstate everyone drives 85 or faster. My Vulcan 900 Custom topped out around 80. Does my bike have issues...or is that normal speed for the Vulcan 900?

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I have seen 110... don't recommend it.. can do 90 all day long.. but much more comfortable between 70 and 80...

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
That's fairly normal. My 900 would get up to 90 on a good day, with the wind at my back and downhill... I had the BAK/PVIII/Cobra exhaust on mine, so it had a bit more power.

The 900 will never be a power house, but it's a good cruiser for not high speed.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
It'll go faster. But, since you're not a fan of speed, it's a good thing yours tops out where it does!

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
also to I am in FL, very flat land, at sea level. 110 you could set the sand/ hour glass record. Maybe!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wind was also an issue....so maybe I just wussed out and would rather be safe then go too fast and be out of control. I just felt like I would burn out the motor or something else if I pushed it faster. I love cruising on lower speed highways at 70.....but the interstate at 80 just isn't any fun. I did drive up the canyon going 50 and that was a blast!

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
yes, that speed your feet want to come off the pegs

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
and I am sure a strong head wind too, could hamper top speed too

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I am not a big fan of speed, but on the interstate everyone drives 85 or faster. My Vulcan 900 Custom topped out around 80. Does my bike have issues...or is that normal speed for the Vulcan 900?

Barron or Scotworks pulleys and you get long legs. Had same problem, not anymore. Memphis Batwing takes care of the wind.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have a big windshield and chaps on my highway bars so the wind does not push on me much at highway speeds.The bike will go faster than 80 MPH.Don't be afraid to run her through the gears and don't shift too soon if looking for speed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions.....I definitely need some type of windshield if I start spending anytime on the interstate. I need to look into the pulleys too.....I just don't like the high rpm when I am going 80.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
A windshield is pretty important if you're hauling down the Interstate. Some folks like to go without them, but most people need something.

Also, you're not gonna burn up your motor doing 80 MPH on this bike. Yes, your hands will be numb. But, the bike will be just fine.

The most important thing is that you're comfortable. It doesn't seem like you're comfortable doing 80 on the bike, so maybe you shouldn't.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually think I would be more comfortable going 85 on the interstate if the wind wasn't as bad...so I'm going to give the windshield a try.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I got the windshield, figure I would just use it during winter/ cold month riding.. ( again I'm in FL) Ride yr round. but loved how it felt at 70, so I never removed the shield

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Same here. Got fairing, thought I would take it off. No way. Now I do not want to ride without it. :)

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.....I definitely need some type of windshield if I start spending anytime on the interstate.
A windshield will make a huge difference for you.

I need to look into the pulleys too.....I just don't like the high rpm when I am going 80.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the single biggest complaint of the 900. The highway revs are off the charts. I never did the pulley, but a ton of people stand behind it. There are front and rear pulleys, and together, they are supposed to make the bike a whole different animal.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Welcome to the single biggest complaint of the 900. The highway revs are off the charts. I never did the pulley, but a ton of people stand behind it. There are front and rear pulleys, and together, they are supposed to make the bike a whole different animal.
I did the pulley mode 4000 miles ago. And I am still glad I did. It is a whole different animal indeed. We have hills and mountains here in California, no problem. Uphill take-off - no problem. Take off speed? Well, if you want to rip the bolts off of your engine as you do now going 80mph on the highway, than 1 gear will get you from 0 to 30 and second from 30 to 60. That is if you reap it like you stole it. I do not actually ride like that. But I have tried. ;)

Also it will fix your speedo. Check your speedo against a GPS. You may see you are off by about %10. (If you saw 80mph on your speedo, you might have been doing 70-ish) Pulley mode will take care of it for you. It is like a completely different bike after that. And Barons do work with stock belt. I have stock belt. Front pulley is 34 teeth and rear is 62. 11.6% change in final drive. Make sure you align and get right tension, else you chew up your belt, or it will squick like a pig. It will squick a little first 200 miles or so, will stop after that. 4K my belt is still fine. You will have to do a bit of grinding when you install the front pulley.

Mid RPM on 1 gear will be about 15mph. 37mph in second, 40 in third, 55 in fourth and 65 in fifth. From there you can throttle up to 90 if you wish. This is where it begins to sound like a sport bike - sawing machine. So you will have a choice to ride with high RPM or mid/low RPM. The bike handles both fine.

When I ride on inter-slab at 85mph (true 85 mph) I can go faster than that. But I do not, because I do not want to get a fat ticket.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You're not saving that much time.

If you're comfortable at 70, and you travel 250 miles (70mph average is unrealistic. You'll hit traffic, you might stop, you'll slow down in spots; but to make the math simple, we'll say 70 average), you'll get there in 3 hours and 34 minutes.

If you go uncomfortably at 80, and travel the same distance, 3 hours 7 minutes.

At 90, 2 hours 46 minutes.

The reality is, the differences are much close in the real world. You're gonna hit two 18 wheelers with torque limiters running side by side up a hill at 45, patches of traffic, construction, grandma in the left lane, etc. Being able to sustain high speeds on the interstate just doesn't happen often.

If you wanna run faster, sure. But I mean, you really aren't saving THAT much time. In our theoretical example, a 25% (roughly) increase in speed over 250 miles saved us 45 minutes (okay, 48). And again, in the real world, probably half of that or less because, again, sustaining 90mph just doesn't happen no matter how fast your bike is. And of course, getting stopped by the cops is gonna eat up that 45 minutes you saved!

I would run 80 or so on my 900 sometimes, and it seemed fine there. But buzzy. A lot more comfortable at 65. That's where it liked to run. Me, personally, I'd rather be comfortable for 3 hours than numb-handed and fatigued from the wind for two and a half.

The Vaquero runs much smoother and much more comfortably at higher speeds. But then you can't hear the radio as good :D Guess I'm just not in a hurry on the motorcycle. Nothing against it or anything, if you like to run 110 then that's your deal. I just really never got why folks were so worried about it. Rode 200 miles today and man, rolling through a windy road at 55-60mph for 200 miles was great! Way better than screaming down the interstate all day. But then I guess I never got a thrill from speed (just doesn't do anything for me), so I guess maybe that's why I'm a stick in the mud.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Romans is correct. Statistically speaking, driving faster doesn't really save you much time overall when you account for all of the slow down for other traffic. All the extra speed really does is suck down fuel faster and give you a bit of a thrill ride.

I vote for the don't push yourself to hard past your comfort levels. The most important factor, keep yourself safe to ride another day.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Roman. With all due respect, you are missing the point.

1) We are not talking about "saving time" There is no time saving to speak off. Any second-grader can do the math. We are talking about keeping up with traffic. I drove professionally in all 48 states, including your state, I know how relax you guys drive compare to other places. People in midwest are very relaxed and polite. I like your folk a lot. Super friendly and curious. In Florida, Colorado, California, Mass, Arizona the traffic situation is different. If you can't keep up with traffic you are a target for road rage, cagers cutting you off, you clog up the 12 lane slab with everyone speeding 10 over and cops passing everyone to get to usual early morning "shots fired" call. You are a lot safer if you flow with the traffic, preferably away from cagers, though sometimes it can't be helped. Try riding I280 or US101 between San Jose and SF, or I880 between San Jose and Oakland. Or I75 between Tampa and Sarasota in FL. You will see what I mean. Around here Speed is life.

2) High RPM = more vibration = more fatigue

1 - 20 of 60 Posts