Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to mount some spotlights to my Cobra engine guards. I am actually looking at some lights I found at Wal-mart (don't look at me like that). They are $15/pair and if they don't work for one week, that is a pretty cheap lesson learned. I can always swap to a name brand later. I have printed the wiring schematic off of Gadjets page, but I don't see where it tells what size fuse to use. I am sure this depends on the size of bulbs. The ones I am looking at are 50W. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am planning to mount some spotlights to my Cobra engine guards. I am actually looking at some lights I found at Wal-mart (don't look at me like that). They are $15/pair and if they don't work for one week, that is a pretty cheap lesson learned. I can always swap to a name brand later. I have printed the wiring schematic off of Gadjets page, but I don't see where it tells what size fuse to use. I am sure this depends on the size of bulbs. The ones I am looking at are 50W. Any help is appreciated.

Watts = Amps * Volts, so
50 = x*12, or x = 50/12 ==> x (your amps draw) 4.17 amps.

If that's each, you would need a 10 amp for a pair. Thats a pretty big load for these bikes as the Alternator isn't that strong. I think its in the 400 watts area. Your headlight is only 60 watts, so this may be a lot more than you want.

Good luck and if you do these lights, please post results, it could be very interesting.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Jeep Pirate, Hey don't apologize for thinking "outside the box"! Saving money is always a good idea. I just got through making myself a set of Engine Guard Chaps because I didn't want to put out the money for something I thought I could do myself. So for about $12.00 I now have a nice pair of chaps. So good luck on your endeavor!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I love my Showchrome lights, but have made the mistake of leaving them on a few times after I shut down the bike.
Dead battery pretty quickly.
Bump start down the hill!!!!
Wish I could wire them into ignition aswell........also dip them a bit, so I don't get flashed by car drivers

·
Registered
657 Posts
I wired mine into the Aux line in the headlamp. I then wired arelay switch into the lowbeam so that the driving lights will only be on when the low beam is on (a requirement in Calif). Having a cobra lightbar I still have the on/off switch so can use them when I want to.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Pretty sure I used the same lights you're talking about for some fork lights on my 92 en500. I had to move down to 35 watt lights though as 50s were way too much for my puny alternator. You'll want to use a relay and wire directly back to the battery & use an inline fuse. There are too many different opinions about whether to wire to the hi/lo beams or just lights on or even just key on. Me, I went with turning on whenever the lights were on. Don't know whether that'll pass PA state inspection yet or not. Here's a thread from a different forum that goes over wiring the relay as well as other options.
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/30289-light-bar-wiring-what-did-you-do-5.html#post910911
I don't know if it's possible for the 900, but on my 500 I tapped the wire leading to the hi/lo switch to trigger the relay so my aux lights are on whenever my lights are on, either hi or lo beams, without the hassle of two relays.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Jeep Pirate, Hey don't apologize for thinking "outside the box"! Saving money is always a good idea. I just got through making myself a set of Engine Guard Chaps because I didn't want to put out the money for something I thought I could do myself. So for about $12.00 I now have a nice pair of chaps. So good luck on your endeavor!
I have been toying with that idea as well. 100 some dollars for chaps seemed looney. Lets see some pics

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. I will try to post pics when I do this. Haven't had much luck with pics before. To cheap to sign up as a Gold Member. I guess I need to put the pics on a site and post links or something. I wanted to show everyone my super cheap & easily reversible answer to marbling the eshaust reed valve. But my picture was to big.

Didn't realize that two little lights would be a problem with the alternator. So I may have to drop back and re-think. Thanks again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I really like you concept, provides the function without the excessive cost of the aftermarket gold items. If the bulbs could be replaced with lower wattage, the alternate output concerns might vanish.

Posting pictures hasn't been a problem for me. I just resize the to 100 DPI and 4 x 6. You might try that.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Engine Guard Chaps

I have been toying with that idea as well. 100 some dollars for chaps seemed looney. Lets see some pics
Will try to attach pics. I took a ride yesterday to try chaps out and love them. They really do make a difference. Still get a little cold wind but hey, that's biking. I plan on adding some chrome studs to dress them up to match the seats. Will try to get some pics when I get that done.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Pics

I guess I did something wrong. My pics didn't attach to message. Will try again.

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
Those look really good. I would have to stud them to match my bags and seat. I know mustang sells studs and the conchos if you want too.
How hard was that to do? I know I could easily get the template down for the basic shape, but I could see I would have problems with the thickness of the tubs. What did you use for Materials? And what did you use to tye them together.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Engine Guard Chaps

Those look really good. I would have to stud them to match my bags and seat. I know mustang sells studs and the conchos if you want too.
How hard was that to do? I know I could easily get the template down for the basic shape, but I could see I would have problems with the thickness of the tubs. What did you use for Materials? And what did you use to tye them together.
Well it all took a bit of time and effort but worth it. I used vinyl upholstry material that I got at the Dollar General Store for $4, so I don't know how well or how long they will hold up. But this was just an experiment to see if I could even do it. I may have to make another pair out of something more sturdy. Of course then I may have trouble sewing through material. Anyway, I made a pattern or template using newspaper and cut out the material about a half inch wider than pattern to allow for a seam. I used some straps that had come with a camera bag that I cut to length to overlap when wrapped around frame of bike. I sewed on velcro (don't use the stick on kind) to the straps. Believe me, I made several trips back and forth between the house and the garage to check the fit and the right place to attach the straps, etc.
I have gotten the studs to put on(got them at Hobby Lobby), but not sure if I'm going to do that yet. For one thing, it will make it more difficult to clean the bugs off of the chaps. But the studs would really dress it up and match my seats and bags. If I decide to put them on, I'll post some more pics.
Hope this all makes sense. Good Luck if you give it a try. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Jace, By the way I meant to say "Thank You" for the compliment! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts