Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

First of all, thank you for an opportunity to read all the posts in this forum.
I would like to say, that I am not yet an owner of Kawasaki Vulcan S , but I would like to be this year. I like a design of this beast.

But, how is it with performance, in case that I have passenger. Example: I am 90KG, Passenger 70KG, Side bags 30KG in total. 190KG

I am not afraid about performance if I am alone on the motorbike, but there is not too much information about performance with passenger.

Could you share your experience, please?
May I go 140Km/h or more with passenger? Or it is on the edge of the engine power?

I am asking, because we plan a trip (2500 KM) this year.

Thank you.
Stefan

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
In my opinion the Vulcan S is not a good bike if you want to ride with a Passenger or a bike I would ever take across country or on long trips. It's just not comfortable. The Bike revs pretty high on the Highways and at 140 kmh or 87 mph that engine will be pretty much buzzing at 7k+ rpm. If you want a bike that is more suited for 2 up riding I would suggest the Vulcan 900 or something larger.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I agree with @IndyTom. The 900 is a better choice. Unless you both are a couple of really light people, I wouldn’t bother with it for long trips or highway commutes as a pair. It might be fine for around town. I’d put my money towards the 900, instead of spending the extra trying to turn KVS into something it’s not totally good at. The reason I like my KVS is because I can’t carry any passengers. Mine was not set up for it at the time of purchase and I won’t be setting it for 2 up. My 800C is for that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, and thank you for reply. I am not happy about it, but now I have answer from experienced people.

I checked webpages of all kawasaki dealers in neighbouring countries(SK,CZ,AT,DE). There is only Vulcan S 650 in a cruiser section.

I will check another options.

Anyway, thanks again.

·
Registered
261 Posts
But, how is it with performance, in case that I have passenger. Example: I am 90KG, Passenger 70KG, Side bags 30KG in total. 190KG
Ah so roughly the weight of an average American, you'll be fine! :D I kid I kid.

What kind of riding will you be doing? Most of us Americans will recommend you get something closer to a liter bike, but the reality is the whole rest of the world has managed to haul entire families on small displacement engines since forever. Sure, for high-speed highway riding that we have plenty of in America, it's not ideal, but if you're zipping around in urban traffic, it won't be too bad.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Hello, and thank you for reply. I am not happy about it, but now I have answer from experienced people.

I checked webpages of all kawasaki dealers in neighbouring countries(SK,CZ,AT,DE). There is only Vulcan S 650 in a cruiser section.

I will check another options.

Anyway, thanks again.
There is a reason for that. The Vulcan 900 doesn't come with ABS which is now mandatory in Europe and most surrounding countries. I believe that the Vulcan S is the only Cruiser in the Kawasaki Line up that has ABS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good morning, :)

What kind of riding? Well, from May till September. I travel to the work (alone). 2 days every week. One way 90 Km (50/50 country roads and highway).
For this driving, I plan to remove all touring things from Vulcan including big wind shield. To remove also passenger seat and replace it with the Kawa backpack.

The rest, are single rides. Usually with my wife as passenger.
Two times a year - week or two week trips a cross Slovakia, Austria, Czech Republic.
We stay 3 or 4 days in one place to do a hiking, taste the local food and beer, etc..

And then there is a trip, I mentioned in initial entry.
2500 Km from SK true Hungarian highways to Romania (TransAlpina road + Transilvania) and return back true Serbia and Hungary.
I never been on such a trip on motorbike. So, I am afraid a little.

As you can see in my profile, I have got a 600 cmm3 maxi scooter with 34KW. And it was enough for us.
I would like to change for a manual gear motorbike like Kawasaki Vulcan S with 659 ccm3 - 45KW.

Stefan

·
Registered
653 Posts
I had a look at the EU Kawasaki web page and there isn't much in the way of big tourers at an affordable price either.

You might want to consider the Versys 650 but it's a much taller ride height esp for the passenger.

Similar engine to the Vulcan S but suited better to touring with gearing to suit higher speeds. In fact its a common modification Vulcan S owners use by changing the front sprocket to a 16t from a Versys 650 to bring the revs down at higher speed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use to weigh a massive 176 kg and have the touring pack (windscreen saddlebags and a bunch of other extras).
The longest trip I have ever done on the Vulcan s is 500 kilometres in one day.
The bike handled it fine, it had a top speed of 164 kilometres per hour with my big arse and bags with gear in it.
Was it comfortable? Hell no. But since then I have gotten use to the seat/wore it in and lost 40kg and I find it fine for longer rides now.
So don’t listen to the nay sayers it will work but be warned the seat sucks and takes a hell of a lot of kilometres on the clock before you get use to it or kill all the feeling in your arse.
I am sure there are better options out there for comfort especially for two up but you buy what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
904 Posts
Sure it can be done. I see bears on bikes. And as Foobar said, in other countries whole families are stacked on bikes. Max load on the KVS is 200Kg (440lbs) max. So, it can take some weight. My owners manual actually states that this bike is designed for operator only, no passengers. But that is how it’s sold in my country. You can get passenger accessories to accommodate 2-up. If it’s your only choice, in another country, then I say you can do it. It has plenty of power, but it also has a stiff suspension and only 3.1” of rear travel. My 800C feels like riding a couch compared to the KVS. But, personal comfort is subjective. I see people in other places riding as a passenger, sitting on a back/front rack, so it’s definately better than that. There’s people on these forums that use it for 2-up riding and loaded with bags and other long haul gear. It’s not going to be me, but that’s not to say it can’t be done.

·
Registered
904 Posts
There is a reason for that. The Vulcan 900 doesn't come with ABS which is now mandatory in Europe and most surrounding countries. I believe that the Vulcan S is the only Cruiser in the Kawasaki Line up that has ABS.
I don’t think it’s available on the 900 because they have no space to put the ABS control unit. It certainly is not because it will jack the price up $400, or that nobody wants a cruiser with ABS, most all other branded cruisers at least have the option. Voyager and Vaquero also have ABS. In Canada, it’s mandatory only if the bike is available with the option. The 900 don’t have that option, so it still can be sold here. But, like cars, that will soon change. Kawasaki will have to figure out a solution, or drop the bike from the model line up in Canada.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I would not recommend the Vulcan S for two up. For starters no comfortable seats come with the bike and aftermarket passenger seating is not available. The passenger footpegs location is not very comfortable.
The Seat slopes back on the fender giving your passenger a falling sensation.(this can be mitigated somewhat with a sissy bar and backrest). The suspension Travel Is not necessarily bad, some motorcycles have less.
The issue is that the location of the mono shock means a very stiff ride for you and passenger.

The New W800 Looks Good

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good morning, I read all posts and I thank you for all opinions. I see it like this.

Vulcan S will be ok for my trips to work and also for a weekend trips in countryside around SK, AT, CZ, HU.
The trip to Romania will be painful for me and also for my wife. (maybe it is good :D)

I am going to the Prague for a motorbike exhibition (1. - 3.3.2019).
I will check with Kawa what are the plans for a future in cruiser segment.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Good morning, I read all posts and I thank you for all opinions. I see it like this.

Vulcan S will be ok for my trips to work and also for a weekend trips in countryside around SK, AT, CZ, HU.

The trip to Romania will be painful for me and also for my wife. (maybe it is good :D)

I am going to the Prague for a motorbike exhibition (1. - 3.3.2019).

I will check with Kawa what are the plans for a future in cruiser segment.

Definitely get a set of mirror extensions size 10x1.25mm RH thread!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Honestly there aren't many (if at all) bikes in the cruiser segment that I'd consider comfortable for long-range riding, for the rider, let alone the passenger.

If it's just an occasional trip and you schedule in plenty of rest/stretch breaks every hour or so, yeah you can do it. With a few accessories you might even make it a non-issue. Everyone is going to have their own threshold for what they'll tolerate though, and only you and your partner can make that determination.

The only way to be sure is to get a bike with all the creature comforts for long-range touring. Something like a Honda Goldwing, Yamaha FJR, or Kawasaki Concours with all the fittings. Yeah, they're not cruisers, but if comfort is of top priority, then you're looking at a touring bike and not a cruiser. If style is the priority and cruiser is what you're after, then you'll have to make some compromises in your travel plans - stop often, take a break, get some accessories that work for you.

If you're set on the style of the Vulcan S, you may also want to look at the Yamaha Bolt, just for some additional options.

·
Registered
904 Posts
The Bolt is uncomfortable to look at and even just sit on, I can’t imagine riding it for hours. I’d take the KVS over the bolt, in a heartbeat.
If long range touring is your main concern, unless your getting one of the big cruisers, I wouldn’t get one of the smaller one’s. There are better bikes out there for that. Check out what’s available in the adventure bike/touring bike line ups.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts