Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 06 Vulcan 2000 LT with 8000 mi. I have never owned a vulcan befor and noticed that there seemed to be excessive slop somewhere between the engine and the back wheel. With the engine off, transmission in first gear, I can roll the bike freely back and forth about 2 inches befor anything engages. The drive belt appears to be tight and I suspect a primary chain tensioner problem. worn primary chain or worn chain guides. My question is , befor I tear the primary case cover off, is this much slop normal and if not has anyone had similar problem with fix?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I have a new one with 300 miles on it and while I've never explicitly checked, I'd guess that a couple inches back and forth is likely normal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Slop

:)Thanks for the reply, I just got some feed back from my brother who said that his V2000 also rocks a couple of inches. My main concern is the lack of smooth throttle control coming up from idle, with the inherent play in the drivetrain, the sudden power surge requires that I slip the clutch at very low speeds in order to operate tight turns smoothly. This problem may just be the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I too have just purchased an 04 V2K and have noticed a little excessive slop in the drivetrain at slow speeds or when letting off the throttle. A wet clutch is designed to operate in the friction zone while moving slow in parking lots and other areas for short periods of time. Over time you will become more presice with your throttle action and this will reduce the slop affect. As for being normal, I have not owned the bike long enough nor read about this problem specifically. Ride safe and enjoy the bike (gotta love the power)

·
Registered
240 Posts
the movement is absolutly normal. cars and trucks do the same thing. and as far as slipping the clutch goes at very low speeds, thats the propper way to ride a bike at low speeds anyways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts