Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone put a driver's backrest on a 09 Vulcan Nomad? What brand? Where did you buy it? Is it adjustable? Cost?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I put a factory back rest on that I bought used here for about half price $200. Very little adjustment about 1/2-3/4".

What defect/problem are you trying to correct with the back rest?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
backrest

Thanks for the reply Tinker. I have owned 4 different Nomads through the years, I've had driver's backrest on all of them. I really enjoy the extra back support on long rides. I'm in the process of getting my first 1700, never seen one of these newer style Nomads with a driver's backrest. I knew there had to be availability, just wondering.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi HC

Take a look at Grasshopper... Simple design, some have said too flexible, but I don't have problem. Maybe folks on the large size??

Not adjustable i don't believe, easy installation bracket under seat, slip on and off, cost about $100, good company to deal with IMHO.

WEG

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Thanks for the reply Tinker. I have owned 4 different Nomads through the years, I've had driver's backrest on all of them. I really enjoy the extra back support on long rides. I'm in the process of getting my first 1700, never seen one of these newer style Nomads with a driver's backrest. I knew there had to be availability, just wondering.
Many have had issue with the stock seat so you may want to spend some time in the saddle before buying a backrest for it.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
My voyager came with what I believe to be the Grasshopper back rest. It is my first bike with a rest and I am still on the fence about liking it. I have tried it with and without and really can't tell much difference. Bike does have factory seat.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Those with the grasshopper backrest. Toss the Grasshopper pad, get a complete Utopia pillow top back rest and "attach" it to it. I like my backrest as low as it will go. My last 4 backrests all were utopia, but I do not like the mounting through the passenger seat methods as most have now for the newer motorcycles..

I tried a couple pads I had laying around before I went ahead and got another Utopia pad. The original Grasshopper pad is a joke. But the mounting system is very good.

Yes the Grasshopper is flimsy/flexible. But after having a dozen or so rigid mounted back rest, I like it better.

DSCN1831.jpg

DSCN1832.jpg

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I have the grasshopper. It's dirt cheap. It works.

I bought a used Kawi gel seat (it's not any better than stock) and a grasshopper backrest. That's my very cheap solution before I get a Russell. Wife and I are headed on a cruise in June so I'm going to hold off the 4 digit purchases until after that :) But probably, when we get back, I'll send the stocker off to have the Russell made. (And in the meantime; the Kawi gel seat will work so I don't have to go without the bike!)

For the price it's not bad. The bracket is decent. The pad is "okay", but the utopia pad definitely looks a lot better. But it works for me. The Russell seat will have it's own backrest. So no sense investing too much now.

For me, once riding a bike with a backrest, I really can't go back. It just makes the bike so much more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
I have the grasshopper. It's dirt cheap. It works.

I bought a used Kawi gel seat (it's not any better than stock) and a grasshopper backrest. That's my very cheap solution before I get a Russell. Wife and I are headed on a cruise in June so I'm going to hold off the 5 digit purchases until after that :) But probably, when we get back, I'll send the stocker off to have the Russell made. (And in the meantime; the Kawi gel seat will work so I don't have to go without the bike!)

For the price it's not bad. The bracket is decent. The pad is "okay", but the utopia pad definitely looks a lot better. But it works for me. The Russell seat will have it's own backrest. So no sense investing too much now.

For me, once riding a bike with a backrest, I really can't go back. It just makes the bike so much more comfortable.
Please, post pictures of this $10,000, seat when you get it, I have never seen one before!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Please, post pictures of this $10,000, seat when you get it, I have never seen one before!
Good catch. I meant "4". The way I want it, the Russell is going to be about $1,200.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
For me, once riding a bike with a backrest, I really can't go back
Amen to that... especially on those 600-800 or so mile days...

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Since this took a slight turn - I rode with a Mustang and backrest on the 900. I hated it. It was too far away for me to be comfortable. Anyways, I just grabbed a Nomad, and I haven't put enough miles to justify a backrest yet. I will decide after some miles, but the grasshopper looks good. I like the Mustang on my 9 and the Ultimate on my 2k. I will have to make a choice, if I decide I need a seat. Then I can decide on a backrest.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Since this took a slight turn - I rode with a Mustang and backrest on the 900. I hated it. It was too far away for me to be comfortable. Anyways, I just grabbed a Nomad, and I haven't put enough miles to justify a backrest yet. I will decide after some miles, but the grasshopper looks good. I like the Mustang on my 9 and the Ultimate on my 2k. I will have to make a choice, if I decide I need a seat. Then I can decide on a backrest.
Since you said the Mustang backrest was to far back, you might like the Grasshopper. I hated it because it is very thick and pushed me to far forward, but it seems that might be a good for you. Grasshopper is a very cheap way to get a backrest. They make them for many bikes. I changed to Mustang and bought their Offset Driver Backrest Post. It moves the backrest back up to an extra 2 inches.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts