Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very close to getting a new seat. Have settled on the Russell Day Long. Now I would love to hear from those of you who have them either for the Russell or Mustang or any other brand. I know it comes down to personal choice but chime in and tell me If you are happy with your choice to go with a drivers backrest or maybe you think it is not worth the extra money. Maybe you didn't do it and wish you had. I would love to hear all sides.
Thanks in advance to all who respond.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I didn't buy my seat it came with the bike. It has the drivers backrest. I love it. I don't know about the Russell Day Long, but the Mustang is fully adjustable. You can raise and lower it quite a bit, then it has an adjustment screw to push it forward and back. Which is great for day I have all the leathers on, and things get quite thick. Plus it folds down so the passenger can get on and off easily. I would absolutely spend the extra money, specially if you have back problems. Plus you can pull it out and there is a little leather flap that covers the slot nicely with Velcro.

Those Russell Days look great, they look really comfortable. The pricing and stuff look complicated.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have the Mustang with backrest. Awesome. You can sit upright, and not use it, or slouch and be supported. Added the phat risers from scootworks ( not the II's) and it's like riding in a lazy boy recliner !! Risers weren't yet installed when avitar pic taken.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Must have back rest I have the mustang seat with and love it. I also still have the stock seat with back rest that I haven't decided what to do with yet.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'll have to echo what these other three have just said... the backrest is great to have. Yeah it costs a little more, and yeah you could probably get along without it, but it's your RIDE man! And this is your human-to-machine interface with the biggest contact patch so your seat is important to be the best it can be. The backrest lets you lean back and enjoy the scenery, or you can sit upright and not use it... it just gives you another choice and on those longer stretches, good to have options. That's all. You'd probably be very happy you got it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You can always take the backrest off when you don't want it on the bike BUT I never take mine off. I used to use the bottom of my backpack to leach against and then I got this backrest and it's wonderful.

Buy one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can always take the backrest off when you don't want it on the bike BUT I never take mine off. I used to use the bottom of my backpack to leach against and then I got this backrest and it's wonderful.

Buy one.
I'll second this. I have a Mustang and unfortunately it can't be added later. Buy it now or you'll regret it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Look around for a used Mustang with driver backrest...they can be found in excellent shape...and are VERY much worth the wait. I got mine used for $325. Added a set of Scootworks risers and now it's "LazyBoy time". You won't regret the driver's backrest unless you don't get it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I concur you will be very glad to have a driver's backrest... it makes long rides possible without killing your back.

I am in line for a Russell Daylong seat also... mid June. I did not get their driver's backrest tho....it may be just fine, but they have no info on its mounting...and so I am going with a known product... Utopia. I have had several different backrests including a home-modified one...but they were not strong enough metal and kept bending back away from me......
but Utopia works wonderfully for me and is very strong / solidly built..

I did confirm with Russell that the Utopia works with the Daylong seat...and so after the Russell seat is done I am adding the Utopia to my V2K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts