Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any place selling a drivers back rest for a 2015 Voyager besides Grasshopper. I think they are cheaply made and I didn’t want to have to purchase a whole seat system just to get the drivers backrest.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had the Grasshopper and recently changed it with THIS ONE. I like it better then the Grasshopper for comfort. adjustability and looks. You do have to remove two bolts to remove this one compared to just slipping the Grasshopper off the bike. I picked it up for 175.00 used.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the Grasshopper and recently changed it with THIS ONE. I like it better then the Grasshopper for comfort. adjustability and looks. You do have to remove two bolts to remove this one compared to just slipping the Grasshopper off the bike. I picked it up for 175.00 used.
Nice but I’m in Canada and that one would cost me near $600 by the time I take into account money exchange, taxes and duties. I can get a Ultimate two piece seat with drivers backrest for $750 out of the factory in Canada. I just didn’t want to spend that kind of cash. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Have you got a picture of that backrest on the bike? It looks like it would really push you forward on the seat. How does it adjust? Can't really tell much about how it adjusts, other than it swivels, from their pictures.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is there any place selling a drivers back rest for a 2015 Voyager besides Grasshopper. I think they are cheaply made and I didn’t want to have to purchase a whole seat system just to get the drivers backrest.
Do you or did you have one (Grasshopper)???
I am using one and to be honest it's not bad at all.

This is the one I got:
Grasshopper Limited Drivers Backrest for Kawasaki 1700 Nomad or Voyager 100% American Made, NON STUDDED Complete System Quick Release
by Grasshopper Limited
Learn more:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you or did you have one (Grasshopper)???
I am using one and to be honest it's not bad at all.

This is the one I got:
Grasshopper Limited Drivers Backrest for Kawasaki 1700 Nomad or Voyager 100% American Made, NON STUDDED Complete System Quick Release
by Grasshopper Limited
Learn more: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00SDFFN2O/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_VQ7oDbE4XV212
Yes I had one on my VTX. It was poorly made and started to come apart in the seams after a year or so. It looked like someone was making them in they’re garage and selling them. I wouldn’t bother getting another one.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I added a Grasshopper to my Nomad when I bought it in 2015. I've ridden through most of the lower 48 and in all kinds of weather and have never had a problem with it. For the price I don't think you can beat the Grasshopper.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I added a Grasshopper to my Nomad when I bought it in 2015. I've ridden through most of the lower 48 and in all kinds of weather and have never had a problem with it. For the price I don't think you can beat the Grasshopper.
Yes I had one on my VTX. It was poorly made and started to come apart in the seams after a year or so. It looked like someone was making them in they’re garage and selling them. I wouldn’t bother getting another one.
Maybe you got some faulty unit... I got mine couple of years ago and same as CarGuy had no issues with mine, and it still looks and feels like new.
Maybe give it another chance... order from Amazon, if you don't like it you can always return it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Have you got a picture of that backrest on the bike? It looks like it would really push you forward on the seat. How does it adjust? Can't really tell much about how it adjusts, other than it swivels, from their pictures.
It actually sets you back a little further then the Grasshopper backrest. Here are pics that show the adjustment in height and forward/back setting.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SdgK3HDafqFkDna3sp2Tkmd2vYoHY71c

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H6Bo6jaRfF6F4MMBRrtK96_sun6HFHBu

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tnlLdGwpa752q4YpHuC058MNRIJZobNm

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g9cIEQeXtRssyEwhJ8YUgLKCSyNLuNaa

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1orsU0AMasscvhtoZ-CUQSiZacji5wMd2

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Thanks!

As soon as my shoulder heals up enough (I had shoulder replacement in April), I'm actually planning to make my own. I just can't justify the cost of anything other than a Grasshopper, which just seems too flimsy to me. I was going to attach it under the drivers seat and make it similarly to the one you have as far as adjustments go, but now I see that attaching it to the passenger pillion would simplify things a lot.

One last question; how does it affect getting the passenger pillion to unlock/lock? I've heard that seats that attach that way are sometimes much harder to deal with and some folks have even broken their keys trying to unlock them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks!

As soon as my shoulder heals up enough (I had shoulder replacement in April), I'm actually planning to make my own. I just can't justify the cost of anything other than a Grasshopper, which just seems too flimsy to me. I was going to attach it under the drivers seat and make it similarly to the one you have as far as adjustments go, but now I see that attaching it to the passenger pillion would simplify things a lot.

One last question; how does it affect getting the passenger pillion to unlock/lock? I've heard that seats that attach that way are sometimes much harder to deal with and some folks have even broken their keys trying to unlock them.
I have no problem removing the passenger pillion. I hope your shoulder heals up quick for some Summer riding.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've spent an awful lot of money trying to get the driver's backrest just right. Shipped a Mustang with backrest from the USA to NZ, excellent backrest position (for my back), but my passenger was cramped & it wasn't a long distance seat for either of us.

So I shipped my OEM seat to Redding CA & back to have a Russell Daylong seat & backrest made. Seat very much better for both of us, but the backrest was too high & the pad too large. I modified the bracket to set the pad lower & then tried different pads (off Ebay). Better, but still not right.

So finally I've modified the Mustang pad to fit on the Russell bracket, and I'm done. It means I've used parts from two expensive seats to make one backrest I can only use on one of the seats, but the Mustang is only used for short distances now anyway, one-up.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
I have no problem removing the passenger pillion. I hope your shoulder heals up quick for some Summer riding.
Thanks! I hope to get back on the bike in a month to 6 weeks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I put this on my 2016 shortly after I bought it. It was a tad cheaper a few years ago. But very sturdy and adjusts forward/backward via thumbscrew on the back. Glad I bought it. Well made....[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Bakup-Driver-Backrest-Adjustable-BAK-K-1700-NOM/dp/B0041CG26Y[/ame]

·
BOTSpring Winner 2017
77 Posts
The Grasshopper is not cheaply made. Not adjustable unless you bend the bracket, but mine fits perfect. The best $100 I ever spent.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts