Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of threads on Seats and preferences, and I know I am not alone when I say that the original seat for the Vulcan 900 is not the best.

I am looking therefore to upgrade to a new seat. I think having a drivers seat backrest would be supper comfy and overall better. However after looking around a backrest costs ~150-200 dollars more than a regular seat without one. I am having trouble justifying the extra price.

Specifically I have looked at the Mustang seats (expensive I know). and some the self modification options.

In summary I guess I am wondering if people who went with a driver seat backrest thought it was a game changer or not.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Really depends on what shape your back is in. Personally I couldn't ride all day without one. So to me, it is a game changer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would say that if you ride over an hour or so then it would be a good idea to have one. I have degenerating disks and I can ride a couple of hours without much discomfort. I have nothing to compare it to since mine came with one and I converted from a sports bike to a cruiser. It comes down to how long you will ride and how much you want to spend.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. I plan on taking some long trips this summer (Sturgis, tail of dragon), hence the need for a new seat. It sounds like it might be worth dishing out a little more to stay comfy on the long rides.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When I bought my new Vulcan 900 Classic Lt last year it only took 1/2 hour to realize the seat was absolutely terrible. It gave me lower back pain and my right hand would tingle. I tried altering my riding position but I wasn't comfortable either. There was no such thing as a little joy ride, they were torture test and it got so I didn't even want to ride.
I looked at all of the options and decided the mustang wide touring seat with driver backrest was what I wanted. I found the lowest price I could and ordered it and couldn't be happier. If I ever feel the need to remove it, it just lifts out. With highway pegs it fits like a new glove and I can just sit back and enjoy the ride, which is why I bought the bike in the first place.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I really like my backrest. It serves a lot of functions. Not only is it comfortable, but on really long rides, I can push up against it with my legs to take some pressure off my rear-end.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't have one and for long trips (without passenger) I set my backpack on the back seat and use it as a back rest. I think that if you ride two up long legs it would be convenient.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just got one. Searched for well over a month to find a used one. The ones with a backrest are hard to find used. Looking forward to giving it a good workout.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I just got one. Searched for well over a month to find a used one. The ones with a backrest are hard to find used. Looking forward to giving it a good workout.
Hard to find used because most of Us love the backrest in the seat. Had the same seat pictured on My 06 nomad and was the first piece I bought for the 09 voyager. And I have a good back thank God.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
So far with my '07 Kawi Vulcan Classic 900 LT I haven't had a problem with my back and I find the seat much more comfortable than the banana-type seat on my former Yamaha. I tend to lean somewhat forward on the handlebars since most our roads are mountainous and winding and leaning forward helps a lot with control, so a back rest probably would be of little value for me. But I can certainly understand the need for it if one leans back on their seat or sits upright. The back rests I have seen as being available have been quite pricey.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hard to find used because most of Us love the backrest in the seat. Had the same seat pictured on My 06 nomad and was the first piece I bought for the 09 voyager. And I have a good back thank God.
Only reason the PO of my seat sold it was because he sold the bike and the new owner wanted the stock seat.

Hot Cruiser, that is a nice looking 830 you have there.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I ride a 900 custom, stock, no windshield. Upgraded seat to Corbin young guns. Purchased 3rd party back rest on eBay for $50.

The backrest helps tp support upper body, I use to get upper shoulder pain after 3-4 hours. No longer a problem with the backrest.

Backrest is a big improvement for rides over 2 hours.

·
Registered
357 Posts
After having put roughly 100 miles on the seat with back rest, I have found that I need risers to properly use the backrest. My arms are about an inch short from reaching the bars without leaning my body forward. That in turn caused about 4 days of back pain. You may find the same thing.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
If you ever ride with a backrest you will never go back. Best money I ever spent on my former Suzi C90. Getting the same for my VV hopefully in a few weeks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts