Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recent experiences for a drivers backrest. I have a 2017 900 Classic LT with the stock studded seats. I am ok with the seats and not looking to go the expensive switch out to Mustang or what have you. Looking for a drivers backrest to fit the stock studded seats. Looked at the Utopia and was wondering how easy for a novice to install and if you like it. Any other options you found? I am 5' 5" and 170lbs. Want to make sure the backrest comes far enough forward. Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I thought about the Utopia. Not sure how it would work on these weird Vulcan seats. There is a youtube vid of a guy installing his Utopia on his Honda.'Utopia Backrest Install on VTX 1800 ' Here's a different one that may work for you. I may look into it later when I settle on a seat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Those are a good option.

Great video bro thanks for taking the time . Your bike looks awesome . Gotta get meself one of them drivers backrests, appreciate the comments from other vn900 owners too . Great community here glad to be part of it . Better get looking now for that backrest , ain’t getting any younger .Ride safe all the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I checked out the Protac and Utopia. The Utopia is $209 and looks like you have to cut your seat and it is installed permanently. The Protac is $138 and you can take it out if you don't feel like using it for shorter trips. Then, I checked out the Grasshopper one. I lists the bike as the Vulcan 2000 or LT. My bike is the 900 Classic LT. Is this the same bike? This one is $106 with a pocket and studs. I like the flexibility of removing the back rest if you don't want to use it and price is not much more than Grasshopper and less than the Utopia. I think I am going to go with the Protac.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So I checked out the Protac and Utopia. The Utopia is $209 and looks like you have to cut your seat and it is installed permanently. The Protac is $138 and you can take it out if you don't feel like using it for shorter trips. Then, I checked out the Grasshopper one. I lists the bike as the Vulcan 2000 or LT. My bike is the 900 Classic LT. Is this the same bike? This one is $106 with a pocket and studs. I like the flexibility of removing the back rest if you don't want to use it and price is not much more than Grasshopper and less than the Utopia. I think I am going to go with the Protac.
Good choice, there is no way you want to cut your seat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi- did you figure out a backrest yet? I have been researching over the last week or so about this as well.

From what I've been reading- Grasshopper backrest is not compatible with Vulcan 900.

The feasible ones are 1. Protec which is $138 for normal and $148 for studded
2. Utopia backrest- which as you know needs a little bit of effort for install and
3. Comfort zone ride- $120, is the most portable of all the 3

I am trying to decide between Protec which probably looks the best on Vulcan 900 or the practicality of Comfort zone ride. Finding it tough to decide.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Grasshopper emailed me and confirmed they need a split seat setup. And the 900 has a long tail because of mounting. If not for that long tail, one could make a bracket and bolt it to the fender behind the seat and cover it with a fender bib. It's what i did with a Road Star. However that long tail on the Saddleman seat i have coming probably precludes that. I'm going to look at the comfort zone you mentioned.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have not researched the Comfort but will. Was just about to pull trigger on the Protac but will look at other first.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
The comfort zone is a possible for me when i want to go out of town and throw my stock seat on. I would prefer a solo with a built in, but not to be.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi- did you figure out a backrest yet? I have been researching over the last week or so about this as well.

From what I've been reading- Grasshopper backrest is not compatible with Vulcan 900.

The feasible ones are 1. Protec which is $138 for normal and $148 for studded
2. Utopia backrest- which as you know needs a little bit of effort for install and
3. Comfort zone ride- $120, is the most portable of all the 3

I am trying to decide between Protec which probably looks the best on Vulcan 900 or the practicality of Comfort zone ride. Finding it tough to decide.
I ordered in the Protac earlier in the week. Just be aware that if you live in Canada and order one with the exchange it came to just over $200.00 for the rest and free shipping doesn't apply to Canada so an extra expense of $52.43 us, $72.80 Canadian for shipping. All in all Eddy seems to be a great guy to deal with, definitely not his fault for the shipping cost to Canada nor the fact that the Canadian dollar is in the drain.

Even though it's a steep price for just a backrest, if you've never driven with one you will soon wonder how you ever did without one. When you look at the price of upgrading here in the great white north it doesn't seem so bad IMHO. Good luck with your choices all I hope you enjoy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered in the Protac earlier in the week. Just be aware that if you live in Canada and order one with the exchange it came to just over $200.00 for the rest and free shipping doesn't apply to Canada so an extra expense of $52.43 us, $72.80 Canadian for shipping. All in all Eddy seems to be a great guy to deal with, definitely not his fault for the shipping cost to Canada nor the fact that the Canadian dollar is in the drain.

Even though it's a steep price for just a backrest, if you've never driven with one you will soon wonder how you ever did without one. When you look at the price of upgrading here in the great white north it doesn't seem so bad IMHO. Good luck with your choices all I hope you enjoy.
After looking at the Comfort Zone one and comparing it to all the others, I am going to go the in between ultra portable Comfort Zone and the permanent Utopia and go with the Protac. I live in Maryland so the shipping thing not an issue.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I think I'm going with the Comfort zone for portability. I can take the strap off my stock seat and put it on my Saddleman solo. At least that's plan A.

·
Registered
37 Posts
After looking at the Comfort Zone one and comparing it to all the others, I am going to go the in between ultra portable Comfort Zone and the permanent Utopia and go with the Protac. I live in Maryland so the shipping thing not an issue.
Nope, you'r golden there. Let's hope they're as good as everything I read.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When you look at the price of upgrading here in the great white north it doesn't seem so bad IMHO. Good luck with your choices all I hope you enjoy.

Thanks for the heads up about shipping cost- I was assuming that the USD 200 included shipping. It does suck that the Loonie has been going through an extended beatdown period.

I am leaning towards Protec, and might end up getting it shipped to a mailbox at U.S side of Niagara falls and drive down to pick it up (to save up on the shipping cost). Thanks for your detailed write up.

Edit: How long did it take for you to receive the backrest after you had placed the order?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts