Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got on my bike this morning and when I am deaccelerating I hear a moaning, almost similar to if a tire was rubbing. It sounds like from the shift area. Can anyone give me some ideas of what it may be?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I see you made a post on 3-31-16 about brakes pads. Have you just changed pads, if so, then it probably is what sfair said, you got a rear brake dragging.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
If you were to describe it as a whining sound on deaccelerating, down around left ankle area, post back.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
If:

1. It happens when you roll off the throttle
2. Sounds like a grinding, whining or other strange noise.
3. Down by your left ankle, then

It could be the bevel drive bearing beginning to fail. If it is, you want to catch it as soon as possible to avoid any farther damage.

You should search this forum for the issue and ask any questions you may have.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is that very hard to fix? I had a friend wonder if I stirred up some stuff in the final drive and need to flush it. Here is a copy of my full post "I have a 2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic. It's been running great, maybe a little clutch slippage. Well last Thursday I replaced my back brakes. While I was at it I went ahead and drained and replaced my final drive gear case oil. I also drained my engine oil and put in Castrol 06112 Power1 10W-40 Synthetic 4T oil. I rode that day and Friday with no issues. I got up the next day to ride and when I am deaccelerating I hear a.......noise/moan,almost like when a siren when it's winding down. I only hear it when deaccelerating. Can anyone please help me?? I do not want to damage anything any worse. Any help would be be well appreciated. "

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The engine oil was 10W-40 4-stroke motorcycle oil and final gear oil was Castrol/Axle Limited Slip gear oil 80W-90

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
It not a job for the faint of heart, but doable.
You will need a service manual, for sure, and a dial indicator to do some checks.

If this is the problem, do not ride until it is repaired.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts