Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right at the end of about a 40 mile ride. It’s just kind of like a chipmunk or something down there and I know it’s not every rotation of the belt because it’s not frequent enough. I’ll check the tension but I don’t think there’s anything else I can do right? I know I don’t want to put any type of belt dressing or anything on it. I don’t want to be worrying about this. If the belt tension is still okay (probably is), should I be concerned? Thanks

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I commented on that thread I’m pretty sure mine is not the wheel bearing because I had the wheel off about 1000 miles ago and for a new tire and I did a full inspection and I’m pretty sure the wheelbearings are OK. I did jack it up this morning and I’m thinking the tension might be a little tight. I’m gonna give it may be another few millimeters of slack. See how that works. I checked other forums like for Harleys and victories and everybody’s complaining about squeaking belts and there’s so many different do this don’t do that. I think the main thing is don’t put a bunch of crap on your belt lol

·
Super Moderator
5,821 Posts
You are right that nothing should be put on drive belts. Adjust you belt to 8-10mm and see how it does. Has to be done with a belt tension tool to be accurate.

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I’ve got the belt tension tool. To be honest, yesterday I decided to just takeoff the guards and inspect everything and clean it with water and a brush to get the dust off. It’s been a long wet winter here in the PNW. after that I just put the guards back on and said let me see how it behaves after a good cleaning. So I took a 30 mile ride and it didn’t start chirping again so I’ll just wait. If it does start to chirp I’ll back off on the tension a little.

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I’ve got the belt tension tool. To be honest, yesterday I decided to just takeoff the guards and inspect everything and clean it with water and a brush to get the dust off. It’s been a long wet winter here in the PNW. after that I just put the guards back on and said let me see how it behaves after a good cleaning. So I took a 30 mile ride and it didn’t start chirping again so I’ll just wait. If it does start to chirp I’ll back off on the tension a little.
A follow up. Sure enough the belt started squeaking again, I think because we’re finally getting some hot weather here in the PNW, so I backed off on the tension by about 2 mm and it shut up. So I guess a happy ending unless it starts squealing again.😊

1 - 6 of 6 Posts