Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the drive belt on my 2007 900 custom break while driving to work a few days ago, with 80,000 km on it.
Does this seem a little early for it to wear out, in the repair manual no service limit is stated. Must be too many variables to take into account.
Has anyone replaced the belt, if so any tips as I plan to replace it this weekend. Seems like quite a big job reading through the manual. Hardest part looks like removing/installing the swing arm and getting the new belt to track properly and at the correct tension.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am doing my front pulley and replacing my belt also this weekend. I recall you can take the main swing arm bolt out and move the swing arm enough to get the belt in between the swing arm and frame. Then you do not have to remove all the parts on the swing arm. Does any one have any pointers on this? Is there a good way to support the swing arm? Also what is the link to the manual. I need the torque specs and tension of the belt.
One more question. I have the original belt on and ordered a replacement (got a hole in the belt from a rock, going to Sturgis don't want a break down), is the replacement narrower than the original? The one I received is about 3-4 mm narrower. I know the original size is not made any more, just the replacement part #59011-0021.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced my belt on the weekend.
I removed the swingarm wasnt a big deal just raised the bike up on lift.
Waiting for belt tension tool to arrive in the mail to finish the job.
What torque spec do you need
Belt tension is at 10lb of force belt can deflect 1.5- 4mm

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Recommend setting the belt tension at the loose end of spec. I had belt squeal early on with a tight belt from the factory. Loosening it a bit helped. After replacing the pulleys a couple weeks ago, the set the tension at 3mm, and the belt made lots of noise. They loosened it to 5mm (outside of spec!) and the noise disappeared. It still feels tighter than the belt on a friend's Yamaha. I'm not worried about it. No noise. Rides beautifully.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Had the drive belt on my 2007 900 custom break while driving to work a few days ago, with 80,000 km on it.
Does this seem a little early for it to wear out, in the repair manual no service limit is stated. Must be too many variables to take into account.
Has anyone replaced the belt, if so any tips as I plan to replace it this weekend. Seems like quite a big job reading through the manual. Hardest part looks like removing/installing the swing arm and getting the new belt to track properly and at the correct tension.
I think the repair manual states to replace at 50,000 miles which is a little over 80,000 kilometers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes 50,000 miles is 80,467km almost bang on what manual states.
Tensioning belt today with belt tension tool. (Motion Pro Tension Gauge) 1.5mm = 1/16 of an inch for new belt at 10lbs of force, seems way too tight to me! Recomended outside limit is 4mm = 5/32 of an inch(for belt with miles on it) seems a bit better. I will set it for 4mm.
After paying $480.00 Canadian for new belt Im in no hurry to replace it again.
5mm may be even better, Ill see how bike does, I dont want to over tighten or have it running too loose and wear it out early.
The belt replacment job was very straight forward, just remove what the manual states and have a lift.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Tensioning belt today with belt tension tool. (Motion Pro Tension Gauge)
1.5mm = 1/16 of an inch for new belt at 10lbs of force
I will set it for 4mm.
5mm may be even better
Any chance you would be willing to post a link to the tension gauge?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got back from Stergis 1,000 miles in 4 days. Longest ride I have been on the new pulley and belt worked great! Had a local shop help me with the tensions and I was spot on with no tension tools. My 19 year old boy went with riding his 1985 Honda Rebel! Made it with no problems. We had a great time. Never seen so many people in one place. Last I heard was 1.5 million people at the rally! If any one was thinking of going I say go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced my belt on the weekend.
I removed the swingarm wasnt a big deal just raised the bike up on lift.
Waiting for belt tension tool to arrive in the mail to finish the job.
What torque spec do you need
Belt tension is at 10lb of force belt can deflect 1.5- 4mm
Where did you buy the drive belt and how much did it cost?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've also heard there is a Gates belt available for the VN900 for about $70 or so. I have no experience with it, so I have no idea about the quality.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts