Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drats...I picked up a pebble on my drive belt. the pebble pushed through the belt and left a small hole just off center. Should I replace the belt immediately? and are some belts better than others?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Of anyone on this board, I've probably replaced more belts on a V2K. Yep, pebble pushes hole through belt, I push pebble OUT of belt. I've had one actually break shortly thereafter, the others I've just changed as preventative maintenance. The Kaw dealer saw my last one, shrugged it off, "it's okay for awhile, but I wouldn't take off on a round the world ride, either."
Can't say as to one being BETTER, but I do know the Panther belt is a LOT cheaper than the Kaw version.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Belt replacement

I have the same problem, as well as a Dunlop that has worn out and trying to decide which darkside tire I'm going with. I have read on here that S&S Gates makes a 133 tooth belt. Search through the 2000 posts. May have to go back 10-20 pages.

·
Registered
102 Posts
if its only a small hole near center i would just keep an eye on it.our vn picked up a stone in 2004 much like yours and the belt has since done 30000 km with no change.the manual also has the same advise.i live in new zealand and our roads use a course chip which particularly in summer when they do all the resealing is tough on belts.because we picked up a stone when almost new i made up a number of covers to keep out stones.so far so good 9 1/2 years later.there is very little to keep out stones stock.the biggest problem is the gap in front of the tire where stones are able to travel to the front pulley area where the lower run of the belt is very exposed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My 08 has 18k miles. When I bought it last fall it had 17k miles and was exceptionally well taken care of. It was and still appears to be completely stock except for non OEM tires and brake pads (expected wear stuff).

Is this what you would expect the markings on a 18k mile belt to look like? I don't know if the paint should still look like this at 40k miles or if it normally wears off in say 15k miles. The belt appears to be in great shape. I couldn't find any threads that could help answer this question.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Mine did not look like that. I picked up a small rock at 2Kish and had a small hole in it. Also caught a rock between the belt and the "Belt Cleaner" thing in the front pulley cover and put a small groove in it. At about the same time. I rode it up until 9k miles when I sold it. Mine was never that clean either.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
6yrs with a big rock, big bump, rok is probly still imbedded in belt, +40k smiles no issues, spect nuther 40k smiles b4 changing just cuz its old not worn out. poncho

·
Registered
578 Posts
The service manual says to remove the rock and periodically inspect the belt.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hmm 4 years and the only thing I've done to the. Let is the occasional adjustment, just cleaned it this week as I put a different front pulley on and had things apart. Belt still looks great

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
361 Posts
if its only a small hole near center i would just keep an eye on it.our vn picked up a stone in 2004 much like yours and the belt has since done 30000 km with no change.the manual also has the same advise.i live in new zealand and our roads use a course chip which particularly in summer when they do all the resealing is tough on belts.because we picked up a stone when almost new i made up a number of covers to keep out stones.so far so good 9 1/2 years later.there is very little to keep out stones stock.the biggest problem is the gap in front of the tire where stones are able to travel to the front pulley area where the lower run of the belt is very exposed.
Ditto here from another Kiwi rider. Picked up a stone 5Km's ago, removed, no issues, check belt occassionally, all good. I did remove the large plastic gaurd permanently to allow easier inspection, cleaning too.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
The service manual says to remove the rock and periodically inspect the belt.
dr, made several attempts to dig out the debris. It is wedged completely inside one of the rubber tooths. It's as tho the belt swallowed it. I thot I would do more damage to the belt trying yo dig it out. So I just left it and yes I chek it every time I ride and look at the bike. It never budged and shows no sign of deterioration. so I leave it be. poncho

·
Registered
361 Posts
dr, made several attempts to dig out the debris. It is wedged completely inside one of the rubber tooths. It's as tho the belt swallowed it. I thot I would do more damage to the belt trying yo dig it out. So I just left it and yes I chek it every time I ride and look at the bike. It never budged and shows no sign of deterioration. so I leave it be. poncho
My method: Jack up the rear wheel and rotate belt with stone to lower (horizontal) section. Use vise grip to stand a square drive screwdriver directly under stone on floor. Lower jack carefuly to place pressure on stone (as if trying to push out stone, the way it was pushed in) Place a socket on other side that covers the stone with a extension shaft fitted, tap the extension shaft with hammer and it will push the belt down and drive out the stone................Done, no damage.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
My method: Jack up the rear wheel and rotate belt with stone to lower (horizontal) section. Use vise grip to stand a square drive screwdriver directly under stone on floor. Lower jack carefuly to place pressure on stone (as if trying to push out stone, the way it was pushed in) Place a socket on other side that covers the stone with a extension shaft fitted, tap the extension shaft with hammer and it will push the belt down and drive out the stone................Done, no damage.
kiwi, Thx I will give it a go tomorrow. It will be nice to be rid of that bump. mucho gracias poncho

·
Registered
361 Posts
Let me put it another way. Will a belt with 20k miles look as a new belt?
Um, dunno DJ.

Mines done just on 10 thou Km's and still looks good, bar the continuous gouge line where I got a stick jammed in the plastic cover a while back, part from that the ole rubber band still looks new new once cleaned off.

Cheers Ando

1 - 19 of 19 Posts