Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As this is my very first belt driven bike and my first V2k I was wondering where the belt is suppose to sit on rear pulley, I'm going to assume right dead in the middle with even space on either side BUT mine sits very close if not touching the left side. I have read somewhere on the net that this is the way it's suppose to be but common sense is telling me otherwise. Can the more experienced owners chime in and set me straight plz. Mine is a 04 which I don't think really matters.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
To the left. You will chase your tail forever if you think you're going to make it sit centered all the time.

If it's chirping then it could be too tight or too loose.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I used the procedure similar to what the service manual calls out, 2.5 to 4mm deflection in the little window of the belt guard, with 10lb of force pushing on the belt. I don't have a gauge/tool to apply the 10lbs of force. I rely on my judgement to make that call. Apparently it's close enough.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Well, you have several options...

1. Buy the tool (that only guarantees the belt is at the factory tension, but no guarantee it won't chirp).
2. Take your best shot.
3. Take it to the dealer (who will probably use a method similar to #2).
4. Do nothing.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Well, you have several options...

1. Buy the tool (that only guarantees the belt is at the factory tension, but no guarantee it won't chirp).
2. Take your best shot.
3. Take it to the dealer (who will probably use a method similar to #2).
4. Do nothing.
5. A little squirt of WD-40. I have donned my flame retardant PJs, so come on. I tried chasing the squirrel, but gave up pretty early and succumbed to the lure of the easy fix.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
If I had a belt chirping problem and had exhausted all conventional means (more/less tension, ensuring wheel alignment, etc.), perhaps I too would be inclined to try something more off the beaten path.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Rear Bearing

Pull in the clutch and coast when you are riding and make sure there is no squealing, my rear bearings went out when i thought it was the belt, just an FYI, Street!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I do miss the drive shaft system from my Goldwing days. My belt always sits to the left, after a tire change I make sure the wheel is mounted straight which helps for a while for belt chirp. Other than that I use a candle to wax the left edge of the belt hitch helps with the chirp as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put belt dressing on the left edge yesterday and drove into work this morning......nice and quiet. It was nice to hear the rumble from the stock exhaust for a change.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Even though it's gone for the moment, I'd still check the rear wheel position (aligned to same marks on both sides) and at least try to ascertain if the belt tension is about correct.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
As stated, the belt rides to the left.

99% of the time the "chirp" is because the belt is not aligned or proper tension.

If the belt is to lose, it will squeal. To tight, it will squeal. Not aligned correctly.. it will squeal.

With the bike sitting on the ground, push up on the bottom of the belt. Should be about a quarter inch play.

the reason people switch to a panther belt, and it seems to work.. is the belt is an eight of an inch narrower. This will make it a bit more forgiving in the alignment area.

however.. your still misaligned. That's bad on the tire.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have never had the squeal many of you have. I did have a very pronounced low speed GROAN from my drive belt running the left side of the pully.

I spent hours tinkering with the belt tension and alignment. When I had the belt set to not groan my alignment marks on the tension adjusters were way off and it felt funny when riding.

I read on this forum where someone used some 1/8 " machine washers behind the pulley and the cush drive. This moved the rear pulley to the left an 1/8 " I installed the washers between the pulley and the cush drive when I had the rear rim off to go darkside. I adjusted the alignment to just lightly touch the left side of the rear. I have never had a squeal, the groan is gone , my rear tire tracks straight, alignment marks are true Im sure my belt tension is well below factory drum tight but it seems fine. I also use method 2 for my belt tension. I set it a little tighter than my gut tells me but im certain its looser than what kawi recommends. I also also do this on a lift so the tension relieves a little when the suspension is loaded.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Last week, while down in MS, had the local dealer put my Panther belt on. The ride home was appx 45 miles, rode it at speeds up to 75mph. QUIET !

On the ride back to TN over the weekend, it did nothing but squeal, for 800 miles. I kept asking myself, "what changed?"

I did check tension before leaving the dealer, but forgot to visually inspect alignment on the rear pulley. When I did check alignment visually on the ride to TN, it was ALL the way to the left, hard.

Other than selling the bike and buying something with a drive shaft, now what?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts