Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adjusted the belt as it has running to the right on rear pulley. Had over a the factory 5 mm deflection. All was good on the 530 am ride to work on the way home it started making noise. When i got it home the belt is tighter than a guitar string? What did I do wrong?

Buddies Indian factory speck is 28 mm how loose should a person go?:frown2:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Adjusted the belt as it has running to the right on rear pulley. Had over a the factory 5 mm deflection. All was good on the 530 am ride to work on the way home it started making noise. When i got it home the belt is tighter than a guitar string? What did I do wrong?

Run mine at 8mm 4.5 to 5 too tight even tho manual specs say so,readjust at 8mm see how it is,:wink2:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've found the tension/alignment of the belt stays true after the axle is tightened if I use a ratchet strap to keep the wheel pulled forward against the adjusters. Don't go crazy with the ratchet strap, just snug it up so the axle doesn't get pulled to the rear while you're tightening the axle nut.

And just like a chain, a belt is happier and quieter at the looser end of specs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Did you use a jack to lift bike when adjusting? Did you rotate wheel/belt to confirm tension?
10mm is what I adjust mine to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes had the rear wheel off the ground and also rotated the wheel going to give it another shot tonight when i get home. bike is waiting in the garage

·
Registered
246 Posts
Take a picture of the rear axle nut (both sides) and marking point to confirm wheel didn't move.

Yes had the rear wheel off the ground and also rotated the wheel going to give it another shot tonight when i get home. bike is waiting in the garage

·
Registered
103 Posts
How many miles on your '09?
I live a mile down a dirt road in South GA. the abrasive environment has caused me to have to replace pulleys and belt twice over my 100,000+ miles on my '09 VV. The visible wear has not been so much on the rear pulley but on the output pulley.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well it seems to be fixed now loosed the belt a tad aligned rear pulley and applied some bees wax.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts