Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Can anyone tell me approx. how much it will cost to replace the drive belt? The dealer here in Newfoundland Canada says it will cost around $2000.00 because they basically have to disassemble the entire bike in order to replace the belt (cost of the belt plus labor).

Are they trying to screw me or is it actually the case? I'd attempt it myself if it's merely removing the rear tire and axle but they said the swingarm, etc. has to be removed as well as 80% of the bike.

I'd appreciate any and all input!

Thanks!
Greg

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a Voyager and I've replaced my drive belt myself.
Removing 80% of the bike is an exaggeration, for sure.
You do have to remove the complete exhaust system, saddlebags, belt guards and rear brake caliper.
Loosen the rear axle and push the wheel assembly all the way forward in the slots to get the belt off the pulley.
Tie the clutch lever to the hand grip and remove the slave cylinder.
Remove the front pulley cover.
Remove the nut that holds the front pulley (takes a big impact wrench).
Slide the pulley off and push the belt back against the swingarm.
Remove the swingarm pivot bolt and slide the swingarm and wheel assembly back far enough to get the belt out between the frame and swingarm.
Slide the new belt in and reassemble everything.
DO NOT reuse the metal tab washer for the front pulley nut.
Grease the front pulley nut and torque to spec.
The belt is about $450 in Canada, and took me 2-3 hours so even at $100/hr the whole job should not be more than $750.

Hope this helps.
Why are you replacing the belt?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome Garry! Thanks! The dealer said there is a piece of glass in it and the belt HAS to be replaced. My guess is because I told them to forget it the belt will have something wrong with it when I get it back as the service manager was totally ignorant and cursing on me when I questioned him. The worst part is trying to find somewhere to order a belt (if I do need to replace it) as I won't be going back to them for anything again. Thanks again!

·
Registered
226 Posts
How big is the piece of glass? Did it puncture all the way through the belt?
My local dealer is pretty cool, I'm sure they will send a belt to you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Garry!

They didn't tell me anything about it other than there was a piece of glass in it. Fortunately, my wife's cousin worked at the dealership as a mechanic and he told me that he could strip the entire bike and re-build it in 6 - 8 hours and said that was why he left them. He said if I get the belt he'd do it for me. What's the name of your dealer? It would be awesome if I had somewhere else to get parts!

Thanks again!

Greg

·
Registered
226 Posts
The belt is very durable, I had an 18 mm hole all the way through mine (and the belt is only 28 mm wide) and rode it 10,000 kms that way. I actually tried to break it by dumping the clutch and aggressive 1-2 shifting and it never broke. Sure did some nice wheelies, tho :). I did finally replace it.
Post a picture of what yours looks like when you get it back and I'll give you my opinion.
My dealer is Wighty's in Mitchell, Ontario. 519 348 0404 The parts lady is Teresa (she's a cutie, too!). I'm going there today and I'll mention this and get back to you.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wighty's will be happy to take your order and ship to Newfoundland.
You will also need exhaust gaskets and a tab washer for the pulley nut.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again Garry! I looked at the belt and it is a small piece of glass (which they left in the belt) in between the cogs and just poking through the center of the belt. Based on what my wife's cousin said about the belt and the location of the hole, I think I may take my chances and hold off on the belt until next year. Do you think I'm better off leaving the glass in place or should I remove it?

Greg

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'd remove the glass.
Although you describe the hole as being small, if you are like me you will always be worried the belt will break when passing a car or far away from home.
It's your call, of course, but I'd be ordering the belt to at least have it on hand if the hole tears further.
Regards......

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey everyone!

Can anyone tell me approx. how much it will cost to replace the drive belt? The dealer here in Newfoundland Canada says it will cost around $2000.00 because they basically have to disassemble the entire bike in order to replace the belt (cost of the belt plus labor).

Are they trying to screw me or is it actually the case? I'd attempt it myself if it's merely removing the rear tire and axle but they said the swingarm, etc. has to be removed as well as 80% of the bike.

I'd appreciate any and all input!

Thanks!
Greg
mate for $2000 us, buy me a air ticket to USA, I'll stay at your place, I'll buy the beer, we can both drink it, and I show you/do it for you....I'd be back at home before the hang over wore off...

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Would remove the glass. Not sure what pulleys are made of, but if steel, the glass will be pushed further into the belt or ground up which can imbed small slivers in seals tearing them up. If soft aluminum, the glass may actually damage the teeth on the pullies, thus harming the new belt when replaced. Just my opinion, no personal expierience. Would contact Kawasaki complaint department and tell them how this dealer treated you. May get thier franchise pulled, saving someone else from dealing with what you did.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have pulled a few small rocks out of the cogs on my belt, and I have a small hole all the way through the middle of belt between the cogs. Actually the top of my belt is torn up some also, mostly cosmetic and I don't consider any of it a problem. All of this is from road construction and mostly from chip seal roads.
Gary: I didn't know you had to pull the front sprocket to get the belt off, thanks for the info... I think about changing mine everytime I change the back tire, almost half way there then, lol. All I would need is the exhaust gaskets and a little more time. I can get a carbon fiber belt from Belt Drives pretty cheap.
I would pull out any glass or rocks, as they will damage the rear sprocket.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Thanks again Garry! I looked at the belt and it is a small piece of glass (which they left in the belt) in between the cogs and just poking through the center of the belt. Based on what my wife's cousin said about the belt and the location of the hole, I think I may take my chances and hold off on the belt until next year. Do you think I'm better off leaving the glass in place or should I remove it?

Greg
Mate I know what I'd say to that dealer and I'd probably end up locked up. Really the belt is as strong as an Ox. I found something shiny sticking through the middle of my belt pulled it out and have a small dent inside the belt with a hole through the belt about half a matchstick in diameter. It was a Piece of quartz rock that had been in there for a fair while.

My Australian dealer told me not to worry the belt wouldn't be affected and my Texas dealer I use told me the same thing. As a new belt in Australia costs about $890 before fitting I wasn't going to rush into it. That was 20000 km and more then 18 months ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts