Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to drill a hole in the thermostat flang similar to what you would do on old hot rods to allow the water to flow before it actually opened ?

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Don't know if that is a good idea on these small capacity water systems. If the water is always flowing (more than normal) the water eventually does not have time to cool off as it is not being slowed down so the radiator can cool the water down.

I have never been around anyone that drilled a hole in a thermostat.

I have taken the thermostat out of a Honda once and it would start to overheat when I slowed down and stopped in traffic. It would not "catch up" with cooling the water until I was going fast again and it took a long time to cool back down but it was always running warm according to the temp gauge. But that was until I got a replacement t-stat. Back in those days it would take weeks ordering one from Honda...

But I have done it with tractors and cars and it worked..... taken the thermostat out that is....

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Most (maybe all as I am too darn old to remember all of thermostats I have seen) thermostats on skoots have that small hole in them already.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I have and still do drill a small hole, under .020 in the outer edge of every thermostat I install. It immediately stops all air blockages and the flow is so small that the system doesn't even know it's there. It's not just an old hot rod trick, it's manufactured into many aftermarket thermostats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts