Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Google "Osprey saddle bags". (or try http://saddlebags.net/ )

In the search window type in "drifter".

Dave is still advertising brackets for the 1500. Cost is about $125 plus shipping. Take the time to look at his saddlebags too. He also does custom work (if you are into spending big for custom leather saddlebags).

His brackets work with either solo or 2-up seats as they attach to the frame and not to the seats. His brackets work best with saddlebags with hard backs (not the soft throwovers). They do not interfer with the fender motion.

Alternatively, there is a Fire and Steel rear luggage rack (can only be used with the solo seat) and you can "hang" bags from it. Search E-bay (don't think they are available from Kawasaki anymore).

He "may" still have brackets for the 800 or be willing to make them. I don't know. 800 and 1500 are NOT interchangeable.

If you have an 800 and need a set of brackets, pm me and I'll send (via pdf) a pattern. The ones he used to make are cut from 3/8 steel. You will have to make your own or find a machine shop.

I've carried a whole lot of "stuff" a long way on my Drifters.

Happy to help if I can.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Drifterider, you need to share some pics of your rides. And how did you fall into the Drifter corner?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Usually I can stay on the road for extended periods with only two saddlebags, and one of them carries tools, manual, spares, etc.

However, on that trip I was out for 30 days and went to Alaska. There is a vast amount of nothingness in western Canada so I thought it best to take along a few extra things. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Drifterrider !

Flyingleatherneck here. Trying to re-create my OLD Drifter 800 with a New ( used ) Bike...but unfortunately , Osprey doesn't make the Wonderful 800 Drifter Brackets anymore for me to Mount my Exact Replica Indian Traveleer Bags to my New Ride .

And then , Miraculously , I came across your Post ! Could you help a Brother Out and PLEASE Shoot me the PDF of the Brackets ?

My intention is to bring Sheet metal , and the Plans for the Mount for my Vintage Chummee Seat that Heathers Leathers is restoring for me ( after I have the Mounts fabricated and welded on / He sent me the plans ! Happy to share if you need those) to a local machine shop and have it all made together .

You would REALLY Be Helping me out in a Big way !

Thanks Drifterider !

Safe riding and Semper Fi !

Flyingtleatherneck

·
Registered
369 Posts
Alternatively, there is a Fire and Steel rear luggage rack (can only be used with the solo seat) and you can "hang" bags from it. Search E-bay (don't think they are available from Kawasaki anymore).
Just a clarification: the Kawasaki Fire and Steel saddle bag brackets (which consist of 'stays' and bag loops) for the Drifter work for both the solo and dual seat. It's the F&S carrier, which bolts to the saddle bag 'stays', that works only with the solo seat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the Info. I'm actually putting an Original Style Indian Rear Fender Rack on the 800 Drifter, so the F & S isn't a solution for me.

What I am really looking for is a Mount Like OSPREY used to sell, which he no longer sells or manufactures. Your Post from 2012 seemed to mention that you had a PDF of the Osprey Style Mount...

"...If you have an 800 and need a set of brackets, pm me and I'll send (via pdf) a pattern. The ones he used to make are cut from 3/8 steel. You will have to make your own or find a machine shop. I've carried a whole lot of "stuff" a long way on my Drifters."...

Can you Please Shoot me a copy of the PDF? I'd like to make that mount again, because it worked great and was separate from the Rear Fender.

That would be GREAT and MOST appreciated !

Thanks !

Flyingleatherneck ( Mike )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Google "Osprey saddle bags". (or try http://saddlebags.net/ )

In the search window type in "drifter".

Dave is still advertising brackets for the 1500. Cost is about $125 plus shipping. Take the time to look at his saddlebags too. He also does custom work (if you are into spending big for custom leather saddlebags).

His brackets work with either solo or 2-up seats as they attach to the frame and not to the seats. His brackets work best with saddlebags with hard backs (not the soft throwovers). They do not interfer with the fender motion.

He "may" still have brackets for the 800 or be willing to make them. I don't know. 800 and 1500 are NOT interchangeable.

If you have an 800 and need a set of brackets, pm me and I'll send (via pdf) a pattern. The ones he used to make are cut from 3/8 steel. You will have to make your own or find a machine shop.

I've carried a whole lot of "stuff" a long way on my Drifters.

Happy to

·
Registered
3 Posts
If anybody can help me out with a pattern pdf for a solo set up mount for saddle bags so I can fabricate for an 2006 800 drifter it would be greatly appreciated or if anybody has a pair for sale or knows of anyone that may still fabricate a mount

1 - 13 of 13 Posts