Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently took my 1999 Drifter 1500 out of storage. Initially it ran and rode great. However as it warmed up the clutch started to slip and finally when stopped in gear it won't move!
Did the on line research and the clutch spring replacement seemed to be the answer.
Did the spring replacement, not to bad, new oil and filter and bleed the clutch master cylinder. By mile number 4 the clutch is slipping again!
Did some bleeding of the clutch system again, even worse. Reading the manual, in the clutch master cylinder there are supply and RELIEF ports.
Apparently!! The relief port was not allowing the Dot4 fluid to bleed off fast enough and not allowing total disengagement of the clutch. Hence a slipping clutch! The more I rode, the higher the build up of unreleased pressure keeping the clutch engaged-promoting slippage!
I am sure my Drifter needed the new clutch spring even with less than 3300 miles, but being 16 years old it was easy to see it was flatter than the new one.
However it was not the cause of the slipping clutch.
As the manual prescribes, changing the fluids would have saved me some cash and several hours of wrench time.
Hope this helps someone!
Ride safe all!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Recently took my 1999 Drifter 1500 out of storage. Initially it ran and rode great. However as it warmed up the clutch started to slip and finally when stopped in gear it won't move!
Did the on line research and the clutch spring replacement seemed to be the answer.
Did the spring replacement, not to bad, new oil and filter and bleed the clutch master cylinder. By mile number 4 the clutch is slipping again!
Did some bleeding of the clutch system again, even worse. Reading the manual, in the clutch master cylinder there are supply and RELIEF ports.
Apparently!! The relief port was not allowing the Dot4 fluid to bleed off fast enough and not allowing total disengagement of the clutch. Hence a slipping clutch! The more I rode, the higher the build up of unreleased pressure keeping the clutch engaged-promoting slippage!
I am sure my Drifter needed the new clutch spring even with less than 3300 miles, but being 16 years old it was easy to see it was flatter than the new one.
However it was not the cause of the slipping clutch.
As the manual prescribes, changing the fluids would have saved me some cash and several hours of wrench time.
Hope this helps someone!
Ride safe all!
Good information to share.

I recently bled and changed the fluid and I think the relief port is that tiny hole in the master cylinder. My clutch was "grabby" and replacing the old fluid did help some. The tiny port appeared to be open and working properly.

If you haven't already, it would be a good idea to change all the fluids in your Drifter. With only 3300 miles I hope the tires aren't originals!

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Glad I didn't have any problem changing mine. I tend to panic a little if things don't go just right when I'm doing something new. Well, I had one little hick-up, I couldn't find that outer-most washer and reacted like a little girl, until I realized it was stuck on the inside of the cover. Did you use the replacement clutch springs intended for the Meanstreak? I read they were stronger. The parts dealer at the Kawasaki dealership knew exactly what I was talking about (he use to ride a Drifter as well) and fixed me up with all the parts I needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read about a few guys using the Meanstreak spring, I, however used the stock Drifter spring. I felt the tension was fine and was not looking to 'reinvent' the wheel on this project! For the future it will be much easier the second time around to change it if need be.
Ride Safe
Regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts