Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Vulcan 2000cc that I need to store for the winter. I want to drain the gas out of the tank and run it until all the gas is out of the lines and injectors. Would you please tell me how to do this?

Thanks, Aaron Davis

· Registered
286 Posts
Hmmm. I do just the opposite to store it. I fill the tank, add seafoam(stabilizer), then take it for a short ride to make sure mixture is through everything. My understanding is an empty tank is prone to rusting. Never had a problem the way I do it. (also change the oil after said ride, to get the acid contaminated oil out).

· Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,920 Posts
If I'm not mistaken your bike is carburated. If you want you can turn the fuel valve off and loosen the float screw which will empty the fuel from the carb and the bowl so nothing clogs the jets.
Negative. All V2K's are fuel injected.

microwavesusan, If you want to know how to drain the gas, head down to the vulcan 2000 section and ask there. We will explain how (although, you will still get told you should also leave it full of gas. I've heard it both ways...)

· Banned
182 Posts
Fill it up and put Stabil in it. If you drain the hoses your prone to have cracked hoses from them being dry and the tank could get moisture in it causing rust. Best to have it filled up to the top.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
I have a 2005 Vulcan 2000cc that I need to store for the winter. I want to drain the gas out of the tank and run it until all the gas is out of the lines and injectors. Would you please tell me how to do this?

Thanks, Aaron Davis
Welcome to the forum. It's not a chainsaw or a lawnmower. It would take a fair amount of work to be sure all the gas was out of it. Like many have said the best/easiest way is to fill it up with none ethanol gas (if you can find it) with a storage conditioner in the fuel.

· Registered
7,615 Posts
Welcome!

Just an FYI; if you want to drain it for storage; make sure you put some oil in the tank and swish it around; to prevent corrosion. That's the method your manual suggests. Though; gasoline will also prevent corrosion so as it's been mentioned; many of us prefer just to top our tanks to the brim, add Seafoam or Sta-Bil, and call it a day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.