Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first oil change and have questions on the plug seal, washer,
when pulling the plugs there were no seals only a silver washer each. One of which could not be removed off of the plug so assumed it was a washer and not a seal. Used two copper crush washers with the silver ones and torqued. No leaks.
Are the silver washers the factory seals?
Is the normal seal a copper crush washer or some sort of gasket.
Info Please

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Did my first oil change and have questions on the plug seal, washer,
when pulling the plugs there were no seals only a silver washer each. One of which could not be removed off of the plug so assumed it was a washer and not a seal. Used two copper crush washers with the silver ones and torqued. No leaks.
Are the silver washers the factory seals?
Is the normal seal a copper crush washer or some sort of gasket.
Info Please
No seal,washer only,can get em for a couple bucks a bag,I change em every oil change,3rd set now,got mine from a kawi dealer,

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No seal,washer only,can get em for a couple bucks a bag,I change em every oil change,3rd set now,got mine from a kawi dealer,
So the Silver Washer is the seal and I would need to pry the old ones off the plug and replace at each change time.:wink2:

·
Registered
660 Posts
So the Silver Washer is the seal and I would need to pry the old ones off the plug and replace at each change time.:wink2:
Yup. Many do exactly that... I've never bothered changing the washer on any bike or car I've ever owned, and never had any leaks. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Never replace crush washers on my Nomad either, but I've ways put a little ptex formagasket sealer on the bolt threads of all my cars & bikes. Never a leak, dont like a bike that marks it's territory. I also use magnetic plugs - gets micro metal from the crankcase.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
I always replace the "crush" washers every time I touch the drain plugs. Why? Because once the aluminum is crushed it can be crushed no more, the washer protects the threads of the crankcase as well as helping to seal, and I am an actual mechanic responsible for someone else's property. A $0.25 crush washer is very cheap insurance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts