Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everyone replace the drain plug gasket each oil change as recommended in the MOM? I searched but could not find any other post. I would have put this in the oil and lube section, but I am more concerned with just the 900.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've changed the oil 3 times now and never replaced the oil plug crush washer (gasket). No leaks so far. I think AutoZone or some place like that has crush washers of varying sizes if you decide to change it. If not, I am sure the local Kaw. dealership could get it. They can't be that expensive... right?

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
They run about a quarter per washer. I change mine about every 3rd oil change, but sometimes I just drain from the oil screen outlet located down by the kick-stand. It does not have a washer to worry about there, and it is the lowest point on the engine, so you get a better oil drain. If you pull out the screen, just be careful that you don't kink it too much when reinserting it.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
10k miles on mine, with 3 oil changes now (aside from the 1st service) and I haven't changed it yet. Per a mechanic's suggestion, I do flip it with each oil change, but I couldn't tell you what benefit that's supposed to have, really. I park it in a clean spot in the garage every night, and have never had a drip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I've never replaced mine when changing my car's oil, just wanted to make sure there is no difference on the bike. Thanks for the quick replies.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Same here have use the same washer to after about 5 changes no leaks just dont over tighten the bolt stripping it would really suck

·
Registered
976 Posts
Always use the screen drain myself. If you don't intend to check the screen (mines always been clean) you only need to crack that sucker open and it'll drain. Don't worry about pulling it all the way out, its designed to drain while slightly unscrewed.

I've never replaced a crush gasket on car or motorcycle but knew I could get one if mine ever leaked.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've got over 15,000 miles on mine. I've changed the oil many times and have not changed the ring gasket. Never had a leak. I tend to put the ring back on the way I removed it because the bolt head leaves an imprint on its facing side while the side facing the pan stays even and smooth. I always torque down to specified setting. It's not about costs, the rings are relatively cheap but there is really no need. They make alot of money when they sell millions!!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I forgot to use my drain plug washer(gasket) what should I do. I have rode the bike 20 miles since the oil change and there is no leak.

I went to empty the old oil out of my drain pan and found it in the bottom. :(

Should I just take the bolt out and try to get that washer on there and just lose the least amount of oil as possible?

I know I screwed up. What do I do now?

·
Registered
258 Posts
as an ex heavy equip mechanic,i could pull that plug with one hand,put the gasket on with the other hand and put the plug back in and probably lose about a teaspoon of oil,im absolutely certain that you can too,challenge yourself,its fun!!!!!!(dont forget to put your finger over the drain hole while your putting the gasket back on the plug)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes...take the bolt out and get that washer on there. Just have a buddy put their finger over the drain hole till ya get the plug back in. You'ld be surprised what people do for beer. :D

I don't know cuz i don't have a 900, but my 99 Nomad has over 52,000 miles on it...I never replaced the washer...and I don't tighten the oil plug too much...just nice and snug. WOW THIS THREAD IS OLD!!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
as an ex heavy equip mechanic,i could pull that plug with one hand,put the gasket on with the other hand and put the plug back in and probably lose about a teaspoon of oil,im absolutely certain that you can too,challenge yourself,its fun!!!!!!(dont forget to put your finger over the drain hole while your putting the gasket back on the plug)
Its definitely the washer for the drain plug huh?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yes...take the bolt out and get that washer on there. Just have a buddy put their finger over the drain hole till ya get the plug back in. You'ld be surprised what people do for beer. :D

I don't know cuz i don't have a 900, but my 99 Nomad has over 52,000 miles on it...I never replaced the washer...and I don't tighten the oil plug too much...just nice and snug. WOW THIS THREAD IS OLD!!!
I know it is old huh, I just did a google search and brought me here, so I figured I would revive the thread with my stupidity. :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't beat yourself up too much...so what...just put the washer back...twas an honest mistake...not stupidity. At least it can easily be overcome. Good luck...:beer:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Don't beat yourself up too much...so what...just put the washer back...twas an honest mistake...not stupidity. At least it can easily be overcome. Good luck...:beer:
I did it!!!! :D

I lost at least 4 or 5 tsp. Seemed like more than it really was. I actually didn't need to add any more oil at all. Kept it right about the middle of the viewing glass. I checked the viewing glass when it was running and the oil seems low, as soon as I turn the bike off it's right about in the middle. With the bike level of course. I assume this is ok.

Thank's guys, if I hadn't of asked I might of left it the way it was and checked every time I rode the bike. :(

·
Registered
258 Posts
we all have screwups,not to worry,you caught it in time and corrected it,no harm no foul,all is well in vulcanland and you probably will be twice as careful the next time,guarantee it!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
my 99 Nomad has over 52,000 miles on it...I never replaced the washer...and I don't tighten the oil plug too much...just nice and snug.
I just looked it up in my records...my 99 Nomad has over 56,000. I don't know what I was thinking when I said 52,000. Just wanted to clarify.

·
Registered
390 Posts
we all have screwups,not to worry,you caught it in time and corrected it,no harm no foul,all is well in vulcanland and you probably will be twice as careful the next time,guarantee it!!!!
Thanks man!!!! :D

Yup that is a fact, it will never happen again. I changed my coolant today also. Feels good to do my own work. I was considering taking off the tires this week and decided against it. I will let the bike shop do the work. I bought a set of Metzeler ME880's. Figured the stock tires have enough miles on them at 12,000.

I really like the Vulcan forums. Never knew there were so many Vulcan owners online. ;)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have 47,000 on my Mean Streak. I change the crush washer every three changes. I buy new set of o rings and washers from the Kaw dealer and always keep a set in stock. Cheap insurance. ;-)

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I bought mine used, it didn't didnt even have a crush washer on the drain plug at all and never leaked. But they're cheap, so I picked one up from the dealer when I bought the oil filter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts