Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has got the 900 custom far enough over to "drag the pegs" or has really leaned the bike big time in a curve?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I drag mine all the time. Coming from 22 years of riding sport bikes, it's taking me a little while to get adjusted to a cruiser.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is my first cruiser and before this I rode a CBR600 sportbike for six years so I am always finding myself scrapping the pegs. The handling of this bike really suprised me. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
The guy I ride with, has a BIG honda Valkyrie, and he's always commenting on the agility of the bike.

I have yet to feel unsafe leaning the bike over (okay within limits). I have a tendency of dragging my heals, and that is the first indicator I'm over THAT far.

A very nice, agile bike it is. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is my first bike and I'm still nervous about going too far

·
Registered
92 Posts
There will be a point in time, when you will notice your heels/peg dragging.

No need to rush things. Enjoy the ride, where ever it takes you.

As stated earlier, I owned a racer, and enjoy the speed, and maneuverability. My 900 custom, while may not be as quick as the 80's ninja, is very nimble.

·
Registered
719 Posts
My custom's pegs frequently drag the ground. Foot is always getting mashed when the peg folds and dress shoes when riding to work need frequent heel repair. Lowering the front and rear didn't help matters either.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
All i've ever owned is cruiser style bikes: i've dragged the pegs on them all.
Having said that, i'm with RodM... take it easy and don't rush it. Just become more familiar and comfortable with your bike. Some day, when you're taking a turn, your pegs will scrape and it'll startle the crap out of you.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If this is your first bike, I suggest you sign up for the MSF course. You'll learn how to take a curve properly, and if your instructor was anything like mine, he'll show you just how far you can actually lean a bike without surpassing the maximum lean angle. It's well worth the $$$.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took the course back in March, but the instructor just showed me on the tire how much "traction" was available. I've been riding for about 9 months now and can handle curves pretty well. Just not sure how far is too far. I know if I go too far I'll find out the hard way. Guess I just want to know that if I drag the pegs I'll still be OK. and not find out the HARD WAY

·
Registered
73 Posts
First time I dragged them it really startled the [email protected] out of me. The stock pegs have that little nob that sticks down, which I always guessed was there to scrape and let you know how far over was enough.
I took to hanging my heel down a little more when I got into twisty roads, so that it would usually touch first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts