Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I scraped a floorboard the other day. I was going faster than normal taking a turn I take every time I ride. It was almost like deep down I wanted to scrape it. Well, it scraped and scared the crap out of me. I can't wait to do it again.

·
Registered
231 Posts
No thanks!
I've come close a number of times, but I'm not a member of that club yet. The last time I leaned into a turn trying to figure out where I will touch down (still learning the bike @ 1300 miles) I hit a patch of gravel which nearly resulted in a really bad MC day!
I've only ground pegs on my other bike (VRSCD) 2-3 times in 9K miles - so I'm afraid that my testicular fortitude is a little low for that kinda stuff.... Pieces-parts are just too expensive to replace - even on a VN900!!!
I haven't done a for-real terminal velicity test on my LT yet either.
Never will for my other bike....

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've managed to drag the pegs a few times and it scared me too. The funny thing is that I always lift my foot of the floorboard. Don't know what the heck is going through my head, cause lifting my foot really doesn't do a dam thing!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It's pretty easy, look, turn, feather the rear brake and clutch and your good to go. At faster wider turns you dont even need the brake or clutch. Anyone else have any dragging videos?

Also, I want a good crash bar, something strong that wont rub before my pegs touch, any ideas?

·
Registered
953 Posts
It's pretty easy, look, turn, feather the rear brake and clutch and your good to go. At faster wider turns you dont even need the brake or clutch. Anyone else have any dragging videos?

Also, I want a good crash bar, something strong that wont rub before my pegs touch, any ideas?
I am a Lindby fan myself. Not too sure about function, but they look pretty darn cool.:cool:

·
Registered
141 Posts

I've got a great Cobra bar and it's very sturdy. My buddy had the same and his bike went down after someone hit his bike and besides scratches to the chrome, the bar was in perfect shape.

Love the helmet by the way. If you don't mind me asking for advice, what does feathering the rear brake do for you.

Very impressive! Cool videos.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
it "tricks" the bike in to thinking its going faster than it acually is, I'm no physics expert all that I know is that it works. It's the same basic technique that the slow riders use.

You control your speed by your clutch, your throttle is just a way to keep your rpms up so you can use you friction zone. Apply some rear brake, slip the clutch, look where you want to go and then "drop" the bike on to its floor board.

I wish I had some cones, its much more fun when your not just screwing around in a open parking lot.

Does the cobra bars touch down before your boards do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a strong dislike for scraping the floor boards something which happens with frequency. Is it possible to remove the floor boards and use foot pegs?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Having ridden bikes for almost ten years, I had never scraped anything until just this summer. My 900 was new to me late last year, so over the winter I figured I should re-take the MSF advanced riders course to help get used to this slightly bigger bike. Instead of the MSF, I ended up taking a class from a locally-based riding school which is really more oriented towards track and sport-bike riding, but they do admit and encourage cruiser riders as well.

It was a great experience, riding on a closed track. My goal was simply to get more comfortable on the bike, and to learn and push my own limits a bit. On the first riding session I scraped the floorboards a few times. Yes, it kind of freaked me out at first, but I learned to get used to it. It's not something I do in everyday traffic, but I'm glad to know that it's not the panic situation that I imagined it would be.:eek:

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have a strong dislike for scraping the floor boards something which happens with frequency. Is it possible to remove the floor boards and use foot pegs?
Yes it's possible but remember those pegs are there to warn you. If you ignore the scraping sound, lean a little farther you'll find the floorboard tips up a bit. A little past that you hit frame and then the rear tire lifts and you go sliding. Cruisers don't carve corners as tight as crotch rockets and thusly they let you know a lot earlier that you've reached the limit. If you take the bank indicators off the first notice that you are leaning past the limit will be the bike sliding out from under you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used to drag mine on every ride, but I put show chrome crash bars on and they look like they will hit before the floorboards will. I take it a lot easier in the twistys now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts