Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all! Has anyone here "downgraded" from a bigger bike to the 900?

Bought a Nomad 1500 in the spring and just not feeling it on this bike. Not that it's too big for me, just big for where and how I ride. Basically, thoughts of long trips led me to the bigger bike, but in reality, that will be probably 5% of my riding. Most riding occurs on small, windy, secondary roads and I'm not feeling this big behemoth of a bike on the roads I'm riding. That and it needs a bit to fit as I'm stretching pretty good to keep a hold of the bars and work the clutch/throttle at slow speeds because it is just out of reach at close to full lock.

Funny, my buddy kept sending me ads for 900's and I didn't look at any because I was set on a bigger bike. He bought a 900 and sold it the day the title came because he is looking at a lot of superslabbing a State or 2 away to see his daughter or north to visit his brother. He didn't test ride out on any faster roads, then came up to show me the bike riding highway and said it won't suit him. Never got to take it for a spin. He stated it was a phenomenal bike on the back roads. Tried to get him to trade, but his thoughts were not there on the 37k miles, but to each his own I suppose.

I would plan to send the ECU to Ivan, I've heard so much good from that (another coworker just got his back for his 1700 Vaquero and says it's a whole new bike.) Plus possibly doing the pulley swap for the limited higher speeds I would be at occasionally, but mostly I'm 45-50 mph back roads looking for lighter and better handling on the small tighter roads.

I wouldn't do much if any 2 up riding. Occasional taking my teenage girls for a ride. Most long distance would be avoiding highways as much as possible. I just think the 900 would fit me and my riding much better.

Anyone ever drop down from the 1500-1700's to the 900?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 900 and can tell you that for riding 50 mph on back roads, it is the best bike I have ever personally owned and I've owned a few. I have both pulleys changed and it does great. For the super slab, I like a bigger bike but if 95% of your riding is on back roads, you would be hard pressed to find a better bike than the 900.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Didn't drop down but tried a friend's 1500 first. Our riding here is almost all on twisty and often mountainous roads and the 1500 was too heavy for me. Previously had a 650 which was good for our riding conditions but as it was 30+ years old it had seen better days, so after doing a lot of research I settled on the Vulcan 900. Even it can be somewhat heavy on our roads with the sharpest bends, but overall It's a very good compromise and is the best bike I've owned in my 50+ years of riding.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I haven't downgraded, but began my resurrected rider career with the Vulcan 900. I initially complained that the bike was a bit heavy, but quickly adjusted to it and now love the bike. I've sat on heavier bikes at trade shows, and think i'd be uncomfortable on a heaver bike. I've sat on a Vulcan 1700, and as much I think I would like that bike, it just feels too heavy. I'm 63 and the Vulcan 900 just feels right for me.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Well not a down grade but a reverse upgrade. I have a Nomad 1500 which I have ridden for years and 2 years ago bought a Vulcan S.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've thought about going bigger, but like you, 95% of my riding is cruising 40-55mph twisty backroads, and this bike excels at that, its the bikes sweet spot. At this point I have my ride so dialed into me that it fits like it was made for me. So if I get another bike, its most likely going to be a bit smaller dual sport, cause this ones not going anywhere.

·
Registered
457 Posts
From what I just read that you posted. I would recommend the Kawi Concours 14 . Sounds like it would be the perfect fit for you. Just Sayin..... :smile2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't downgraded, but began my resurrected rider career with the Vulcan 900. I initially complained that the bike was a bit heavy, but quickly adjusted to it and now love the bike. I've sat on heavier bikes at trade shows, and think i'd be uncomfortable on a heaver bike. I've sat on a Vulcan 1700, and as much I think I would like that bike, it just feels too heavy. I'm 63 and the Vulcan 900 just feels right for me.
The reason I bought the Nomad is because I was at a dealer and sat on a 1600. Just lifting it up off the sidestand it was really top heavy. I walked across the showroom and sat on the Nomad 1500 and it felt light as a feather compared to the 1600. I ended up riding my coworker's C90T which had some weird issues, then 2 Nomad 1500's and I bought the 2nd one. I wanted a bigger motor for the low end torque and being off a bike for 15+ years, I figure the weight of a big bagger I would just get use to. I'm not getting use to it, it just feels wrong as I said for my style.

Well not a down grade but a reverse upgrade. I have a Nomad 1500 which I have ridden for years and 2 years ago bought a Vulcan S.
I'd love to take the little Vulcan S for a ride. Looks like a fun little piece of kit.

From what I just read that you posted. I would recommend the Kawi Concours 14 . Sounds like it would be the perfect fit for you. Just Sayin..... :smile2:
No way. Cruiser and forward controls for me. Without forward controls, rides are limited to about a tank full. I can't contort my legs up to ride a standard position or any feet rearward stance.

I ride aggressive for whichever vehicle I am in or on. That's why I didn't replace my turbo with another turbo. I drive my little Mazda 3 just as aggressively as I drove the Jetta comparatively to the car itself, which means I'm driving far slower in the Mazda. Same with bikes. I don't want a bike I can take 90 mph on the Dragon, but I also don't want one I have to slow down to 1st gear and hang on hoping it makes it on every turn. No interest whatsoever on any kind of sport whether it's a sport bike or a sport tourer.

I'll probably finish out this year and sell it next spring. I'm going to take a mild to most people hit with selling then paying tax on a different bike, so will need my winter overtime for it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Michael, what you could do is either ride a friend's Vulcan 900, or rent one if its available in your area, just to see what the ride is like. There is a single place here in the DFW area (that I'm aware of) that can rent a Vulcan 900. Sometime they don't have one because the lady buys and sells motorcycles, but often they do. I rented a Suzuki M50 from her once, best $79.00 I ever spent. I enjoyed the M50 and that ride convinced me I could handle the Vulcan 900. Maybe SRKCycles in the more eastern central part of Pennsylvania can help with a test ride.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've owned both a 900 and 1600 at the same time and really liked both of them. Decided to get rid of one because I got tired of all the maintenance and expense. It was a very hard decision but it basically came down to the fact that I'm not likely going to go for cross country rides anymore so am mostly just riding around town and the local country side. Having said that, I HAVE taken the 900 as far north as central Michigan and to Pittsburgh, PA., on multiple occasions without any problem. Plus the 600 just sounded just freakin' awesome with the V&H pipes. Anyway, short story long, I got rid of the 1600 as it is indeed quite heavy to be lugging around town, plus I was able to get all my money back out of it. HTH.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A little over a year ago my Yamaha Venture Royal Star (weighing a bit shy of 900 pounds dry) had an internal disagreement in the engine and I made the switch to the 900.

The difference was night and day for the weight and particularly balance. I find the 900 is much more nimble and loves the twists and turns, even with a passenger.

The power was the only difference I noticed but the tradeoffs to me were well worth it to have a bike I didn't have to fight to ride. Don't get me wrong, the 900 has tons of power when you wind it up, just not as much noticable torque.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I traded my 900 on a Voyager 1700 and love it. It suits my riding better. Now wife likes to ride and she has never liked to ride before. This is not a knock on the 900 at all. It is a great bike and I wish I could have kept mine for the reasons listed. The 900 turns much better, is more nimble, etc... but if the wife wants something different to ride then I had to do it. :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
After 10 years I traded up from a 900 Custom to a 1700 Vaquero. I love the Vaq but I do miss the 900. I'm hitting 65 next year so if I do end up replacing this, it will likely be with a 900.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just got my 4th Vulcan, I downgraded from HD Dyna Glide. For me, it was the seat height. My first street bike ever in 82 was a Kawasaki 750LTD Twin, I was hooked on that sound. I had several bikes after Honda CBR's a Ninja, etc.. then went 10 or so years without one ( back injury) got a Vulcan 750 (still one of the most fun I ever had, super zippy, yet a bit laid back, and some V&H pipes and it sounded good too). I went to a Vulcan 800, and upgraded to a newer one after a few years as I loved the bike other than our 75 MPH highways. I wanted a little more grunt so got the Dyna Glide. Was never comfortable on it, my feet were only "just" flat. Little gravel or sand on road and I felt like I was holding up a truck. I do like the sound, and the newer rubber mounts on the HD's really has trimmed that buzz I had in my hands whenever I road one. I lowered it but it always felt like I was holding a ton of motorcycle. Road the 900 custom and knew right away for me it was right. Quite a bit more power (at least it feels like it) then my 800's. I think it's smoother than the HD, and solo it seems plenty fine on grunt, not as much as the HD, but more than enough for me. Kawaski sure seems to gear them to low to me, all my Vulcans could use one more gear but the 900 is the best at 75. In the end, it was my confidence and how it rode, I know it was all in my head, but when you feel 100% in control instead of 75% like I did on the HD I like to ride it much more. It sounds silly as women that 110 pounds ride HD all the time.. but I just never felt like I was no in enough control of all that weight.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
maybe you sense the heavy weight of the nomad to be too much for you making you have less confidence in riding it, that's normal and it's one of the main reasons bikers downsize to a bike with less weight, i suggest that you thinking about getting rid of the nomad when you lose confidence in handling it, for safety reasons i mean

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
maybe you sense the heavy weight of the nomad to be too much for you making you have less confidence in riding it, that's normal and it's one of the main reasons bikers downsize to a bike with less weight, i suggest that you thinking about getting rid of the nomad when you lose confidence in handling it, for safety reasons i mean
Haven't been back on the forum for a while.

Nope, LOL. Getting use to it. The more I ride it the more I'm liking it. It's tore apart in the driveway right now to remove the radio/speaker system (I don't listen to music) and I'm finally getting to install my Baron pull-back risers (ordered a different set from Phat Performance, then looked up the retailer's horrible reviews. They contacted me after 5 weeks while I was coming out of Canada back to the States and said it was an additional 4-8 week wait on back-order. Baron risers on Amazon came in 3 days.) I'm only at about 1200 miles on it since spring since I had a couple of bicycle tours through the summer already planned. Next year I plan to ride the Nomad beast around Lake Ontario on the same route we rode the bicycles.

When I rode with my buddy who bought a 900 the day I bought the Nomad we were ripping along at 75-80 on the highway and his bike ahead of me was screaming. Saturday I was pulling onto the same highway and realized I was shifting up into 5th at 75, the speed he was screaming on his 900 in 5th.

I've decided to keep the beast. Not feeling the weight too much now like I was except for wiggling it in the slope of the yard to get it out of my shed, turned around, and up on the driveway.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
Haven't been back on the forum for a while.

Nope, LOL. Getting use to it. The more I ride it the more I'm liking it. It's tore apart in the driveway right now to remove the radio/speaker system (I don't listen to music) and I'm finally getting to install my Baron pull-back risers (ordered a different set from Phat Performance, then looked up the retailer's horrible reviews. They contacted me after 5 weeks while I was coming out of Canada back to the States and said it was an additional 4-8 week wait on back-order. Baron risers on Amazon came in 3 days.) I'm only at about 1200 miles on it since spring since I had a couple of bicycle tours through the summer already planned. Next year I plan to ride the Nomad beast around Lake Ontario on the same route we rode the bicycles.

When I rode with my buddy who bought a 900 the day I bought the Nomad we were ripping along at 75-80 on the highway and his bike ahead of me was screaming. Saturday I was pulling onto the same highway and realized I was shifting up into 5th at 75, the speed he was screaming on his 900 in 5th.

I've decided to keep the beast. Not feeling the weight too much now like I was except for wiggling it in the slope of the yard to get it out of my shed, turned around, and up on the driveway.

When I hanged both pulleys it did change the gear ratio. I found myself doing 95mph down Hwy 35 a while back and the only screaming was from me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I hanged both pulleys it did change the gear ratio. I found myself doing 95mph down Hwy 35 a while back and the only screaming was from me.
I have read that doing the pulley mod and having the Ivan CPU flash, it makes the 900 outstanding.

That said, I just finally got the risers installed and sat on my Nomad and it felt like it will work well. It was getting dark and I had other stuff to do so just took a quick spin around the neighborhood and wow, it was a massive difference. Just 2 inch rise and 1.5 I think it's said pull-back and now so comfortable. Elbows previously were almost locked straight. Elbows now loose and at a comfortable angle. I was relaxed back on the backrest which I wasn't before.

Can't wait for tomorrow after work to go out on a good ride. Then it's rain rain rain through the weekend :crying2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts