Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just returned from my yearly sojourn into the Great Smokey Mountains...namely Deal's Gap..AKA The Tail of the Dragon. Every year a bunch of us ride in and tell a whole lot of lies and ride, ride, ride. This year was no different, except on Saturday evening, around 6:30, I was riding along a straightaway doing 30ish and next thing I know, I'm sliding along the road, hearing a god-awful scraping sound. What I hit, I haven't a clue but the conscencus is gravel. The only thing that happened to me was a boat-load of roadrash but the "old Girl" is scraped up pretty bad. Everything on the left side...I even managed to break the left floorboard in half...go figure.
I rode the old girl home (3 hours on the superslab) and have already talked with the green lizard guy. Adjuster will visit this week. Until she gets fixed, I'm sidelined.

Thanks for letting me vent...

T

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear of your misadventure, T, but look at the bright side... now you'll have some war wounds to show along with your lies!

Heal quick, and keep us informed of how it goes.

·
Registered
782 Posts
My heartfelt condolensces for your injured 2-wheeled baby. Really glad you are healthy enough to write about it. Hope both of you heal fast.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Glad to hear it wasn't worse, as the dragon has eaten many a brave soul! Hope the gecko does ya right, and a speedy recovery to both you and the brave steed!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, i live about an hour away from The Dragon and have only ever been once. gotta watch it. there were rumors taht hunters and other people would throw gravel on the road at night and things to "Make" the bikers slow down. I dunno if its true or not. I am glad your ok though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hope that when I go next month I keep the shiny side up, as well as no unscheduled helicopter rides! Sorry to hear about the cosmetics, but glad your ok! You have ben bitten.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Glad you'll recover. Hope the pain is easing up a little. I'D MAKE UP A BETTER STORY BEFORE YOU MEET UP WITH YOUR "STORY TELLING CREW" NEXT YEAR!! Something like.... a black bear was crossing in front of you and you thought you could get by...ended up he tried to jump onboard as you went by and a big ol' fight started! Now, if you could sell that , you da man!

·
Registered
487 Posts
That bites. Hope you can get back on soon.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
The scoot can be fixed or replaced. Ultimately it is just a thing. As long as you didn't end up in the ER or worse is all that matters. If this Barcaloungersaki 900LT has a fault it is just too relaxing and unfortunately that is my attitude toward it, I often find myself in lala land when riding. On my other bike I dress in armor with a full face (even when it is hot) and stay alert for the unexpected, because from experience, I know bad things can happen very quickly. Dress well. Stay alert.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident.I had one in Nov 09 and still can't ride,bike is good though.Heal fast and ride safe.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the lizard man and I talked yesterday and he left me with a check. More than enough to fix my bike. About being to comfortable, I might have to agree...with the Mustang tourer and the 3 1/2 pullback risers, she is a dream to ride.

As for needing a better tale, my buddies were with me and I already have had to tell the truth.:) Hopefully, I'll have her back on the road soon.

T

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can certainly sympathize with you. While touring on some old roads near Wheeling WVa, I came around the corner to see a large chuck hole on the right side of the centerline, a car approaching from the other direction so I took to the outer part of the right side. Unfortunately, there was fine gravel and I tried to slow down but the rear brake was ineffective in the gravel and I just missed still making the turn but the next thing I was laying on my back in the road with my previously perfect bike on it's side. I had $500 deductable so it was not prudent to file a claim. New crash bars, new mirrors, new plastic for the shield and a few hours of rebending the brackets and the shifter and the bike is almost good. Oh yeah, three hours at Wheeling hospital getting x-rays and having the gravel picked out of my elbow. They said I needed a couple of stitiches but couldn't find any skin to stitch! You probably can't avoid some accidents but I was foolish for not having my jacket on despite the heat. Ruining a jacket is a lot less painful than the alternative.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sorry to hear of your unfortunate mishap, Toymaker... but glad you're okay! It just goes to show what can always happen out there on the roads, we have to always expect the unexpected.

(Grrrr, gravel!! :mad:)

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
... If this Barcaloungersaki 900LT has a fault it is just too relaxing and unfortunately that is my attitude toward it, I often find myself in lala land when riding. On my other bike I dress in armor with a full face (even when it is hot) and stay alert for the unexpected, because from experience, I know bad things can happen very quickly. Dress well. Stay alert.
Funny (and sad) how that works...we dress AGATT on one bike, but not on another. I must admit, I've been doing the same lately even though I KNOW better. No doubt if I continue it's going to bite me in the rear end one day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts