Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A newbie post.
(so maybe covering old ground).
Have owned the Voyager for 12 months and found is was not being used to its full potential. No time for the long miles, children still young, single parent etc. etc.
So I decided to take some weight off the bike (must have been 30 kgs.) and make it easier for the right leg to go over.
In other words removed the Top Box.
Takes about an hour using the workshop manual. (Doing it carefully).
End result I think looks good.
The top box rack is only held on by 4 bolts and a fabricated rack out the back would make a great soft luggage carrier. (Will be seeing if a 1700 Classic passenger backrest can fit).
Should I have purchased a Nomad, nah! at the time of purchase The Voyager was only a $1000 more.
Should I have purchased a Vaquero, nah! not released in Australia.
VEE02

Attachments

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
you could go for the nomad backrest.

Or remove the box and put some diamond plate in it's place so you can keep all the trim and extra lighting.
(this is a bad photoshop, but you get the idea)

·
Registered
701 Posts
It doesn't look to bad. I kinda like it.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Looks very nice!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
318 Posts
VEE02, that nice. I like the tank bra/bib that you are using. What kind is it and where did you buy it? Do you have a website or part number that I use?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
re. the tank bib.

Sage Brush Designs

http://www.sagebrushdesigns.com/tank_bib.html

Found them a great company to deal with , great communication.
And no problem with distance. Canada to Australia.
(It may have been the first whale tale bib made for a voyager, a pic of my bike is on the webpage).
Stops the console rattle, and if you fit one, place a washer under the rear bolt of the console, (its only plastic and the bib lifts it a couple of mm of the tank).

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Sage Brush Designs

http://www.sagebrushdesigns.com/tank_bib.html

Found them a great company to deal with , great communication.
And no problem with distance. Canada to Australia.
(It may have been the first whale tale bib made for a voyager, a pic of my bike is on the webpage).
Stops the console rattle, and if you fit one, place a washer under the rear bolt of the console, (its only plastic and the bib lifts it a couple of mm of the tank).

The whale tail tank bib is sweet. Chris quoted me $212.00 and 10 day delivery.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Chop for sure.

Love the look. Similar situation with me, wife wanted a bigger bike to be comfortable on, then decided she didn't really want to ride much. Was considering trading it in for a HD Street Glide, but the trade-in would of killed me. I took the trunk off and LOVE the look and feel of the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looks good. If Vaquero is the teen, then this mod is Pops.. I just like versatility of the trunk, even if my wife also quit. Good job.

sent from mobile device.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Love the look. Similar situation with me, wife wanted a bigger bike to be comfortable on, then decided she didn't really want to ride much. Was considering trading it in for a HD Street Glide, but the trade-in would of killed me. I took the trunk off and LOVE the look and feel of the bike.
I like the idea, but the bike looks incomplete. The Nomad backrest would give you all the trim pieces back that you had to remove. You might be able to fit the trim pieces without the backrest, but the passenger seat looks like it needs a backrest. Too bad the Vaquero seat won't fit on the Voyager.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Now if you can fabricate a passenger seat rack replacement, you can ditch the passenger seat altogether. ;)

sent from mobile device.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Progress

Did what I said I was going to attempt.
(Add a passenger backrest to the voyager, top box removed).
Obtained the cheapest item I could find on ebay, (no offence to the guys at Cavalry Custom, USA). For the price the quality was OK.
Kawasaki Vulcan VN 1700 Sissy Bar/Backrest.
http://www.cavalrycustom.com
(Other Vulcan Classic backrest may fit).
Fitment was easy, only additional items required - 4 spacers in this case nylon, about an inch long that I found in the shed and some longer 6mm bolts.
Don't forget to lay that thick towel down over any of the bikes paint if you are swinging a wrench above.
For me it was a $150 (Aus.$) gamble and it will stay on while the children are on the back. (Not often).
Placed a car headrest cover over the pad, unfortunately the item that I received has a Maltese Cross bracket. Not a good look for me.
Worth it ??? do-able but debatable.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice look, but not my style. I actually like the passenger seat on, it acts as a bit of a back rest for me. The trunk can easily be thrown back on minus the trim plates, makes for a quick and easy mod.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there my name is Jon and I live in Sydney.

I bought an identical Voyager this week and want to remove the box. Would you be able to copy the pages from the manual and email them to me on removing the box as that would be great. email is [email protected]

Any tips on how best to do it ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Our bikes are twins !!

Hi there

I live in Sydney and my name is Jon. I saw the photos of your bike today and it looks just like mine. I took the top box off today and much prefer the look and it is also much lighter to ride. I attach a photo of it.

Have you sourced a backrest yet and have you done any other alterations. I have ordered a lower seat as I find the stock one pushes me too far forward and I would also like some lower handlebars as I find them too high for my liking

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts