Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to do video's of my rides so that other members can see what type of roads are in our area plus the others I ride with kinda enjoy seeing themselves scooting along on their rides. LOL I've looked at several camera's and have used the canon SX-10 for stills and video's on my rides but just can't get a good video with a camera that size. Too much shake even for the stabilizer.
Last year I had bought the Go Pro Hero Wide which did a fantastic job but as usual shortly after they come out with a new and improved model. LOL soooo guess I had to upgrade. WOW what a difference using their HD version.
http://www.vimeo.com/8788558
Now this is just a short clip of a long ride and I didn't shoot this one in full HD. You can check out all the spec's. on the camera etc on their site and check some of the other videos there. http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=30This camera is a no brainer for those looking to record their rides. It's bomb proof. LOL Don't know how you can hurt it. Plus it's small. So when you take a break from your ride you can pop it off and put in pocket no problem. Lucky there was a break in our winter weather so I could get out and try it. Looks like another storm coming tonite. Oh well it is New England. LOL

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a cool little cam for the price. 4gb will give you a bit of recording. Myself though I still prefer the larger HD results of the Go Pro even though it's a tad bit more $$. LOL To play your rides on a large screen TV give just a little better results. Still for the budget minded who only wants a video now and then this is an awesome option. Thanks for letting us know.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
That's a cool little cam for the price. 4gb will give you a bit of recording. Myself though I still prefer the larger HD results of the Go Pro even though it's a tad bit more $$. LOL To play your rides on a large screen TV give just a little better results. Still for the budget minded who only wants a video now and then this is an awesome option. Thanks for letting us know.
After walking away and then rereading my post I must apologize, I did not mean this as an alternative to the quality videos you are doing, only as a cheap quick method for short captures. I bought 2 of those to play with!
I have a mini8 camcorder that I tie to my bike when shooting video, I prefer to have it behind my windshield for a little added protection.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After walking away and then rereading my post I must apologize, I did not mean this as an alternative to the quality videos you are doing, only as a cheap quick method for short captures. I bought 2 of those to play with!
I have a mini8 camcorder that I tie to my bike when shooting video, I prefer to have it behind my windshield for a little added protection.
Hey didn't take any offense to comments. Great to find other options out there for all budgets and needs. Only thing that swung me to the Go Pro HD is that it's waterproof down to 180ft. which means weather isn't going to affect it plus the housing for the actual camera is so robust. Watched a video of a guy on the track with his race bike and he crashed. He had the Go Pro mounted on his bike. It recorded the whole thing. LOL him sliding down the track etc. Then you could see him getting up going over to bike and picking it up. Camera still running. Now that's tough. The other day I was taking the cam off the bike and it slipped out of my hand. Dropped about 5ft. to the concrete floor. Not a mark on it. Those mini cams you got though might be fun to mount in different area's of the bike for cooler shots.
Sooooo many options sooooo little time. LOL

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wow that was amazing no vibration very clear, Thanks, since my ride is put away for the winter I actualy felt like I just went for a ride. Very good, now I can endure another 6 weeks or so of winter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow that was amazing no vibration very clear, Thanks, since my ride is put away for the winter I actualy felt like I just went for a ride. Very good, now I can endure another 6 weeks or so of winter.
Just uploaded another one in full HD width of the camera.
http://www.vimeo.com/8823302
Some guys have mounted it on RC planes and trucks and all types of things. Check out the Go Pro videos on their site. Click on the HD ones. It'll blow your mind. The colors aren't as good on the new video but was overcast and late in the day. Still a ride is a ride. LOL

I got interested in doing this stuff after seeing this guys video's he makes in Canada http://www.vridetv.com/
All his video's on his bike. http://www.vridetv.com/videos.html
Thanks for your comments.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Looking at the housing that guy has intrigues me. Any ideas how he keeps it so vibration free? it is not gimble mounted nor appears to have the lords type mounts. I would certainly like to be able to shoot that flutter free

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at the housing that guy has intrigues me. Any ideas how he keeps it so vibration free? it is not gimble mounted nor appears to have the lords type mounts. I would certainly like to be able to shoot that flutter free
I would say a couple things helps to keep vibration free. One of course is the size. Bigger the camera = move movement on small mounts
The other thing I really think does it is the wide angle. All the settings have some degree of wide angle. That I think hides the minor vibration you might have. The reason I say this is because I had mounted a Canon SX10 on my ram mount because I love the video from that camera and the still shots. Wicked vibrations. Image Stabilizer couldn't keep up with it. When I put the same camera on wide angle mode the vibration in the image was cut in half. With the size of the camera wind resistance is really reduced too. I had the camera mounted on the outside of my bike's windshield using the suction mount and it showed no signs of shake or movement in the video?? Amazing.

That suction mount is rated up to 200mph. I know that it held steady up to 90 on my bike. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
First off, your bike is entirely too clean.
I did notice on one of your videos that when you got up to about 58 or so( I was clocking you via mile markers) that it sort of started to "wave" up and down just a slight amount. That obviously was wind induced. Problem is(for me) if I make my mount too solid it gathers vibrations, or atleast I think that is why it does.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First off, your bike is entirely too clean.
I did notice on one of your videos that when you got up to about 58 or so( I was clocking you via mile markers) that it sort of started to "wave" up and down just a slight amount. That obviously was wind induced. Problem is(for me) if I make my mount too solid it gathers vibrations, or atleast I think that is why it does.
I think that wave was what's called Jello Effect. That happens sometimes when cmos sensors are used. I was reading that on one of the video sites. Also known as Rolling Shutter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

·
Registered
538 Posts
I visited Ebay yesterday and bought one of those 12 dollar wonder cameras. I actually paid $13.99 and that included shipping from China. I figure that makes the unit cost about a buck to make. For that money I figure it was worth it just to satisfy my curiosity about the thing. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I visited Ebay yesterday and bought one of those 12 dollar wonder cameras. I actually paid $13.99 and that included shipping from China. I figure that makes the unit cost about a buck to make. For that money I figure it was worth it just to satisfy my curiosity about the thing. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
In case you missed it, the fine print says you need a SD-TF card, 1-8 gig. They are not included, there is a seller in chicago area that sells 4g for around $8.50 with free shipping. I missed the fine print, have my camera and now awaiting the card

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really will be interested to see the results. Might be cool to place on other sections of bike to give different views while riding then do a picture in picture video. I have a couple webs sites related to photography and was thinking of doing another site maybe similar to http://vridetv.com but for New England hence the need for higher quality HD video suce as the GoPro HD gives me.

·
Registered
538 Posts
In case you missed it, the fine print says you need a SD-TF card, 1-8 gig. They are not included, there is a seller in chicago area that sells 4g for around $8.50 with free shipping. I missed the fine print, have my camera and now awaiting the card
Oh yeah. I'm an wanna be photographer and have those things laying all over the place.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I've been digital since they came out. Was great switching over from film. You could shoot so much more and get instant results thus experiment with creativity and not have to wait a week for the results. My self I use a Canon 5D Full Frame DSLR. My most used and favorite lens is the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS lens. I used a Canon 1Ds in my studio yrs ago when I had it. Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Pentax they're all good camera's and just like bikes everyone has their favorite make and feels theirs is the best. I never go on a ride without some type of camera with me. The nice thing is I went back to trucking after I closed my studio so get to see some good area's to go for rides and take photo's. hehe Guess I'm a professional tourist. LOL

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
I've been digital since they came out. Was great switching over from film. You could shoot so much more and get instant results thus experiment with creativity and not have to wait a week for the results. My self I use a Canon 5D Full Frame DSLR. My most used and favorite lens is the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS lens. I used a Canon 1Ds in my studio yrs ago when I had it. Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Pentax they're all good camera's and just like bikes everyone has their favorite make and feels theirs is the best. I never go on a ride without some type of camera with me. The nice thing is I went back to trucking after I closed my studio so get to see some good area's to go for rides and take photo's. hehe Guess I'm a professional tourist. LOL
Wow, that is a quite a camera you have. Sure is a hobby that you can sink some coins into eh? My New cam is a Canon XSI and the kit came with two lenses but I recently added the 50mm 1.4 and man what a difference.

·
Registered
538 Posts
What camera(s) do you have? I recently upgraded my old Minolta film camera to a DSLR and am loving it.
Currently, my Sunday-Go-To-Church camera is a Nikon D90. The camera I carry with me on my bike is Sony 10MP Cyber Shot.....good camera for running around the country on your scooter and it fits my vest pocket perfectly. The D90 is a fantastic camera for under a grand, but I don't carry it on the bike.......my wife would string me up if I lost or dropped THAT one.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts