Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked my 2007 V2K for a couple of weeks shortly after I bought it because I had some "scary" moments on it. I'm convinced that if you try to ride a V2K in a "spirited" manner around town on bumpy roads, you're going to dump it. The handling is weird. That's about all I can call it.

I got on it a few times since and just took it out for a slow, careful cruise, and yeah, it will get you from A to B, but it's pretty dull riding like that.

So I took it up into the mountains yesterday and cruised on a smooth road with long, sweeping curves. Nothing tight and no bumps. And this bike is SOLID. I started wicking up the speed till I was leaning it over pretty close to the boards at 90+, just to see if I got some wallow or any kind of crap - nothing. Trying to push it on this same road, my V-Max (gen 1) is all over the place - very scary. Not something you do twice.

I've been pretty critical of the V2K's handling, and have read widely varying opinions on the topic here, but MY bike is rock solid on smooth pavement. I'm pretty sure it has the stock suspension, shock etc...

So the geometry and rigidity of the frame seem to be pretty good, which is surprising since it's a strange, bolted-together thing. But it works. After all it's a Kawasaki and they make the ZX-14, so they know what they are doing.

The main problem with the V2K is that it can't handle bumps. Mine can't anyway. It gets all upset when it hits a bump and a bunch of bumps make it have a nervous breakdown. So just keep it smooth!

And man, you have got to love that engine! It is a real piece of art, both visually and sonically! I keep thinking every time I ride it that if this engine pulled to 8 grand, THAT would be a ride!

·
Registered
150 Posts
The reason the v2k can't handle bumps because it is a softail design... which is a stupid design that works against itself, but that is about it's only draw back. They handle very well for their size. One thing I do remember about mine to improve slow speed handling was to keep the tire pressure up around 40. If it got below 38lbs things started to get sketchy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
An ohlins rear shock fixed it, it handles as good as a bike this side can handle. I scrape my boards all the time with a goodyear tt 205/60/16 and the ohlins damper set at 17, she as rock solid as it gets on a bike like this.

Mrfix

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hated the handling of the V2K until I changed the bars. I found the beach style bars made it very difficult to feel the road. Its hard to throw your weight around when you always have a bar in your ribs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I actually enjoy the handling of this monster bike. Yes at low speeds it can be sketchy as hell when taking sharp turns but above 30 mph it handles similar to my old Maxim 650 and I used to throw that bike around. Only laid my v2k over once when a cager pulled an unexpected u-turn in front of me and still handles well with a bent fork. (just some handle bar shaking at low speeds).

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey I have written so many times on how well this bike handles if you set it up properly, the bike is an absolute blast to ride on any road surface , is rock solid over bumps and is very quick as well.
A lot of people rubbish this bikes handling, but have not set the bike up. You cannot ride this bike with stock setup if you expect it to handle. cause it wont. Stock suspension is junk for anything to do with handling, if you do nothing else just put a good rear shock on it, like Progressive 465 or whatever, good tyres, and 40 to 42ish psi of air in them. And if you can, do front springs and oil change, and that's it. Take it out and give it heaps through the corners and forget worrying about bumps, they wont upset it at all.
This bike is like no other bike when set up to handle the best it can, for its ability to put a HUGE smile on your face when you nail it through a section of road at speeds you thought were impossible on this bike. Words cannot describe it, but the people you ride with look at the bike in AWE as they just cannot believe a bike this size can do what it does.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stock suspension

Yeah, Grey, most mfrs. try to save a lot of money on suspension parts because they don't sell bikes like chrome and paint do, so it's no surprise that the V2K's stock stuff is poor. I've got work to do on the exhaust and some more weight reduction, but the suspension upgrades will be next. Nice to know that the potential is there before I go at it tho.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey Doomer glad to hear you found the better side of the V2K after that rough start.

To help further. Tyre pressure is well worth upping on these as others have stated. The factory settings are too low. Im runnin 40 psi front and 49psi rear. Has made a good difference to both tyre wear n handlin.

The suspension, yeah poos all round. I've fitted a fully customized Ohlins shock to cater for two up and two up touring. We have also raised the rear by an inch. In one word, awesome.

The front end on these things are not right. They are sprung but not well and valving needs work. It's like slush around town with all that pitch n dive carry on.

At highway speeds on smooth roads, its fine as and does a good job. However, put it on choppy road surfaces at highway speed (and loaded two up in our case) the front tends to hydraulic too often attempting to cope with the weight, the undulations and bumps to maintain a modicum of ride quality. It just results in excessive front end jarring unsettling the bike (and rider).

Putting in more oil or heavier oil achieves little. Just watch a suspension tech face implode when you mention these techniques. They wander off about fluid dynamics bla bla bla, mine gave me a long wtf speech, he's veeeeery passionate about suspension and doing it right.

In my techs view, the only fix for the V2K is progressive springs and fitting reactech valving. This fixes highway issues, end of. Why racetech valving? Cos they are the only crowd providing these kits for the V2K.

If ya gonna keep the sled and mod it, the suspension changes are well worth doing.

I've just got off our sled an hour ago after doing 800km of back road riding, including some long gravel sections too, it was friggin awesome.

Had we had the original rear shock, yeah nah we would have stuck with the highway only. i can't wait to get the front end done now, will make this a perfect ride for us.(correction, i can't wait till my better half approves the front end rebuild funding, hahaha)

Good to hear ya stuck with it Doomer, awesome. Btw when does the modding start???

Cheers Ando.

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey Doomer glad to hear you found the better side of the V2K after that rough start.

To help further. Tyre pressure is well worth upping on these as others have stated. The factory settings are too low. Im runnin 40 psi front and 49psi rear. Has made a good difference to both tyre wear n handlin.

The suspension, yeah poos all round. I've fitted a fully customized Ohlins shock to cater for two up and two up touring. We have also raised the rear by an inch. In one word, awesome.

The front end on these things are not right. They are sprung but not well and valving needs work. It's like slush around town with all that pitch n dive carry on.

At highway speeds on smooth roads, its fine as and does a good job. However, put it on choppy road surfaces at highway speed (and loaded two up in our case) the front tends to hydraulic too often attempting to cope with the weight, the undulations and bumps to maintain a modicum of ride quality. It just results in excessive front end jarring unsettling the bike (and rider).

Putting in more oil or heavier oil achieves little. Just watch a suspension tech face implode when you mention these techniques. They wander off about fluid dynamics bla bla bla, mine gave me a long wtf speech, he's veeeeery passionate about suspension and doing it right.

In my techs view, the only fix for the V2K is progressive springs and fitting reactech valving. This fixes highway issues, end of. Why racetech valving? Cos they are the only crowd providing these kits for the V2K.

If ya gonna keep the sled and mod it, the suspension changes are well worth doing.

I've just got off our sled an hour ago after doing 800km of back road riding, including some long gravel sections too, it was friggin awesome.

Had we had the original rear shock, yeah nah we would have stuck with the highway only. i can't wait to get the front end done now, will make this a perfect ride for us.(correction, i can't wait till my better half approves the front end rebuild funding, hahaha)

Good to hear ya stuck with it Doomer, awesome. Btw when does the modding start???

Cheers Ando.

You can get away with PVC shims and washers for now if you're in a hurry... have fun getting the fork caps back on though. Me and my buddy had to put a ratchet strap over the ratchet on my harley to get it back on, lol.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You can get away with PVC shims and washers for now if you're in a hurry... have fun getting the fork caps back on though. Me and my buddy had to put a ratchet strap over the ratchet on my harley to get it back on, lol.

Yep done that with my ole CBR 750 front end after the air system gave up the ghost. Shall we say there was plenty of 'colorful' language used to help get the caps back on, hahaha

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey Bro, I am glad you mentioned this reactech valving thing. I didn't know about this, but I am keen to look into it that's for sure. Is it Racetech or Reactech? anyway it doesn't matter I will find them. You beauty, a new project to get my teeth into.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I actually love the handling of the beast but im im 6-5 240 pounds so/not a small guy, feels like baby bears porridge, just right......until i have to back it into a parked downtotwn bike nught,lol. If you are looking for great handling(although its a pig on the expressway) the boulevard c90 iwouldve been your ticket. I think the ones after 2012 have decent engines now

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey Bro, I am glad you mentioned this reactech valving thing. I didn't know about this, but I am keen to look into it that's for sure. Is it Racetech or Reactech? anyway it doesn't matter I will find them. You beauty, a new project to get my teeth into.
Racetech. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Modding the V2K

What to do? For me, it's all about self-expression. I'm a mechanical artist and motorcycles are my medium. I'm not a good artist, or even a passable one, but it's as close as I'm going to get to a form of artistic self-expression. Most of the bikes I've built look like sh*t to most people, frequently even to me, so I take them apart and try something else. My fabbing skills are mediocre, which limits what I can achieve because hiring someone to do the work would circumvent the whole point. As Poncho Villa says, it's a form of therapy.

What I'd like to do with the V2K is turn it into a drag bike. There are some "Harley" powered drag bikes cruising around here, and they're impressive. I say "Harley" because there are few, if any, Harley parts in them, but they're real fire-breathers, they're fast in a straight line and they make serious thunder. Without people like S&S for support, I'm afraid the V2K engine would just fly apart, so I'm thinking "Harley drag bike wannabe" for a theme. Rearsets, a 2-into-1 shorty pipe, real narrow bars and a skinny front wheel with the biggest car tire I can cram into the swingarm.

I can't stand the feet-forward riding position because it aggravates a tailbone injury I sustained in a fall a while back, so the dragbike riding position suites me. A blower or big ol' nitrous bottle would make it complete, but, again, the V2K mill would likely just grenade.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I find my V2k to handle great, much better at low speeds around town and in parking lots than my 2007 nomad, I'm 155 lbs and 6'. The wife has rode this bike and likes it although she hasn't rode it in town and she's lighter and shorter than me, ( her bike is a stratoliner ). I really notice it at stoplights, the Nomad felt like it wanted to fall over at any thing less than 5mph, the V2k is totally comfortable at this speed.

·
Registered
361 Posts
What to do? For me, it's all about self-expression. I'm a mechanical artist and motorcycles are my medium. I'm not a good artist, or even a passable one, but it's as close as I'm going to get to a form of artistic self-expression. Most of the bikes I've built look like sh*t to most people, frequently even to me, so I take them apart and try something else. My fabbing skills are mediocre, which limits what I can achieve because hiring someone to do the work would circumvent the whole point. As Poncho Villa says, it's a form of therapy.

What I'd like to do with the V2K is turn it into a drag bike. There are some "Harley" powered drag bikes cruising around here, and they're impressive. I say "Harley" because there are few, if any, Harley parts in them, but they're real fire-breathers, they're fast in a straight line and they make serious thunder. Without people like S&S for support, I'm afraid the V2K engine would just fly apart, so I'm thinking "Harley drag bike wannabe" for a theme. Rearsets, a 2-into-1 shorty pipe, real narrow bars and a skinny front wheel with the biggest car tire I can cram into the swingarm.

I can't stand the feet-forward riding position because it aggravates a tailbone injury I sustained in a fall a while back, so the dragbike riding position suites me. A blower or big ol' nitrous bottle would make it complete, but, again, the V2K mill would likely just grenade.

There was a turbo'd V2K about a while back but can't recall where i seen, read about it?????

Think it was Smedlin that may have provided the link??????? Dunno eh, memory like a pea.

Meh, who cares if others don't 'get' wat ya built, so long as u enjoy the process and the finished project.

As for me, if it's two wheels and a motor I'll give it a whirl or a once over. Good ideas come from those can and do something eh.

So in true forum style, I'll sit n chew me pop corn n wait n see wot u come up with.

Word of advice, we need lots n lots of pics to oogle over eh ;)

Ando

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
I find my V2k to handle great, much better at low speeds around town and in parking lots than my 2007 nomad, I'm 155 lbs and 6'. The wife has rode this bike and likes it although she hasn't rode it in town and she's lighter and shorter than me, ( her bike is a stratoliner ). I really notice it at stoplights, the Nomad felt like it wanted to fall over at any thing less than 5mph, the V2k is totally comfortable at this speed.
The V2K has a VERY low center of gravity. Makes it really easy to handle.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
My best friend, for several years, had a dyna, with like stage 4000.. cams, big bore, ect. He always bragged about how fast it was off the line. Cept I would beat him every time...

Soo.. last year he sold it and bought.. i don't even know what it is. All Harley, but different things. It was built by a guy who was a Harley mechanic.

The guy knew what he was doing. My friends Harley.. sitting at a light, he will pull away from me UNTIL the "top" part of my third gear.

It's not until I switch into 4th that I'm closing the gap. And buy then, we are doing well over 80.

Course.. as HE will be the first to point out. My engine is stock, and his has everything possible done to it. AND my bike is several hundred pounds heavier.

But, the fact remains, his cruiser will beat my V2K every time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts