Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a short 250 mile road trip last week and while chatting with a couple riders we ran in to, one guy who was a Harley rider asked which of us was on the little bike. Since my dad was on a street glide I assumed he was talking about my bike. He asked if it was a 750.
I've had a ton of bikes. Maybe fifteen in the past 20 years. Three were Harleys. To me, unless I'm leaning it upright off the stand, feeling the lighter weight, I have a hard time telling its a "small" bike. Considering he was on an old dyna, with no bags or shield, it seemed a bit strange he would ask that.
Looking at the specs, the 900LT is maybe half an inch to an inch shorter lengthwise than the big bore brothers. What gives? Was the guy just being an HD snob? I thought it was funny but just never felt the vn900 to be a "small" bike.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
It looks big.. 5.3 huge gas tank. But sitting it next to the vaquero it is smaller. .I didn't think the vaquero was much bigger till I brought it home and parked it next to it.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Front wheel isn't sm as ll. I had the 200 on rear which is bigger than the vaquero. And big tank.. so it doesn't look small.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I don't think the 900 looks small compared to most cruisers. It certainly doesn't feel small (weight wise). I had a small cruiser (Shadow VLX 600) and my 900 classic is a good foot longer and a bit wider (mostly gas tank). What I do like about the 900 is it handles as easily as a small bike.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I don't think the 900 looks small compared to most cruisers. It certainly doesn't feel small (weight wise). I had a small cruiser (Shadow VLX 600) and my 900 classic is a good foot longer and a bit wider (mostly gas tank). What I do like about the 900 is it handles as easily as a small bike.
Ditto, the 900 is very nimble.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
He probably just saw the "900" on the air filter cover and decided to flap his gums.
Agreed. Besides, the 900 is bigger than the 883 Hardley sportster

·
Registered
529 Posts
I was on a short 250 mile road trip last week and while chatting with a couple riders we ran in to, one guy who was a Harley rider asked which of us was on the little bike. Since my dad was on a street glide I assumed he was talking about my bike. He asked if it was a 750.
I've had a ton of bikes. Maybe fifteen in the past 20 years. Three were Harleys. To me, unless I'm leaning it upright off the stand, feeling the lighter weight, I have a hard time telling its a "small" bike. Considering he was on an old dyna, with no bags or shield, it seemed a bit strange he would ask that.
Looking at the specs, the 900LT is maybe half an inch to an inch shorter lengthwise than the big bore brothers. What gives? Was the guy just being an HD snob? I thought it was funny but just never felt the vn900 to be a "small" bike.
When a man realizes you could have 4 bikes like yours for the price he paid for 1 bike, he starts coming up with dumb things to say in order to feed his inferiority complex.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
LMAO that video is flipping hilarious.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Comparable in size to a Heritage Softail. Actually a bigger 'cockpit' than most larger touring bikes. Essentially the same bike (with a LOT of interchangeable parts) as the Vulcan 2000; which has a bigger engine than Harley Davidson, or anyone else, has ever put in a bike. (S&S, who makes aftermarket engines, does have 124" and 125" engines, but no V-Twin that size has ever been installed by an OEM on a factory bike ever).

The engine is small though, though Kawasaki has done a good job of trying to make it 'look big' with oversized covers (if you've ever torn those covers down you'll know what I mean). You own one, you know it's a capable bike and far more stable and "big" feeling that about any other mid-sized bike out there.

Sounds like someone is just giving you a hard time. Who cares. Keep riding. Everyone gets ragged on. And there are guys out there who basically don't know squat about motorcycles. They might know about their brand, but that's about it. It's whatever.

I've gotten plenty of negative, unsolicited comments on my metric. My favorite is the comments like "Why didn't you get a real bike" from people at gas stations filling up their car. You ask them what they ride and they either don't, or they did 30 years ago. If I'm gonna let someone who doesn't even own a motorcycle bother me about their opinion of MY motorcycle that's a problem! And when my stepdad had a CVO Road Glide and I rode that around a bit now and then (we swap/borrow junk all the time. Swap bikes, cars, whatever. If I need a truck I just go get it. If he needs some weird tool he knows where it is. We live less than a mile apart. I know some people think living near your parents is a horror story but when yours are good motorcycle riding buddies with a garage full of fun stuff to tool around in then it's totally cool. Ha!), I'd get comments from metric guys about "my Harley". For the record, he only owned that Road Glide for a couple of months and hated it. Loathed that bike. But he also wasn't a huge fan of my Vaquero. He's more of a sport touring type.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The 900 is not a physically small bike. It's a sub 1000cc so some people think it is "small" also compare it to the physical size of the V2K. You won't see much difference there either. My Ultra Limited feels like a scooter compared to the 2K I had. Some of my buddies would all talk about how big the bike was when sitting next to their EG Harleys. I would not think nothing of it. Some people, not matter what they have, what they do for a living, or what color their underwear is, it's better than yours and they have to let you know what they think.

"There are 3 kinds of people in the world, Chuck..." I ain't filling in the rest and for the people who get the reference, you know why. I ain't getting my hand slapped by a Mod.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Comparable in size to a Heritage Softail. Actually a bigger 'cockpit' than most larger touring bikes. Essentially the same bike (with a LOT of interchangeable parts) as the Vulcan 2000; which has a bigger engine than Harley Davidson, or anyone else, has ever put in a bike. (S&S, who makes aftermarket engines, does have 124" and 125" engines, but no V-Twin that size has ever been installed by an OEM on a factory bike ever).

The engine is small though, though Kawasaki has done a good job of trying to make it 'look big' with oversized covers (if you've ever torn those covers down you'll know what I mean). You own one, you know it's a capable bike and far more stable and "big" feeling that about any other mid-sized bike out there.

Sounds like someone is just giving you a hard time. Who cares. Keep riding. Everyone gets ragged on. And there are guys out there who basically don't know squat about motorcycles. They might know about their brand, but that's about it. It's whatever.

I've gotten plenty of negative, unsolicited comments on my metric. My favorite is the comments like "Why didn't you get a real bike" from people at gas stations filling up their car. You ask them what they ride and they either don't, or they did 30 years ago. If I'm gonna let someone who doesn't even own a motorcycle bother me about their opinion of MY motorcycle that's a problem! And when my stepdad had a CVO Road Glide and I rode that around a bit now and then (we swap/borrow junk all the time. Swap bikes, cars, whatever. If I need a truck I just go get it. If he needs some weird tool he knows where it is. We live less than a mile apart. I know some people think living near your parents is a horror story but when yours are good motorcycle riding buddies with a garage full of fun stuff to tool around in then it's totally cool. Ha!), I'd get comments from metric guys about "my Harley". For the record, he only owned that Road Glide for a couple of months and hated it. Loathed that bike. But he also wasn't a huge fan of my Vaquero. He's more of a sport touring type.
You summed up what I was typing, then i took a phone call before I finished. Beat me to it.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
For the really self conscious:

1) Does my butt make my bike look small?

or,

2) Does my bike make my butt look big?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts