Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read through Bearslayers great post but did not seem to find an answer to this question.

If you have a broken part-like error code #13 Air intake temp sensor. Will the CEL (check engine light) go off right away if the part is fixed.

Then will it take 3 short trips to clear the code?

I changed air filter and forgot to hook up the air intake temp sensor under the ECU on top of the Airbag. Took bike apart again and hooked up wire but still having the code and light.

Ordered a new part and will fix it myself. It's not very hard to pull the tank on this bike compared to others I've owned.

Note about Ridenow Ocala. They said that if I bring the bike in and they find a bad part they will have to order part and it will take 7-10 days of my bike sitting there until I get it back unless I want to pay for them to put it back together. Since I am thinking about a new Vaquero this does not want me to buy one from them or anybody for that matter. Said they only get paid to take it apart once so I guess I could pay to do it but pretty bad attitude on their part. Rant over.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I read through Bearslayers great post but did not seem to find an answer to this question.

If you have a broken part-like error code #13 Air intake temp sensor. Will the CEL (check engine light) go off right away if the part is fixed.

Then will it take 3 short trips to clear the code?

I changed air filter and forgot to hook up the air intake temp sensor under the ECU on top of the Airbag. Took bike apart again and hooked up wire but still having the code and light.

Ordered a new part and will fix it myself. It's not very hard to pull the tank on this bike compared to others I've owned.

Note about Ridenow Ocala. They said that if I bring the bike in and they find a bad part they will have to order part and it will take 7-10 days of my bike sitting there until I get it back unless I want to pay for them to put it back together. Since I am thinking about a new Vaquero this does not want me to buy one from them or anybody for that matter. Said they only get paid to take it apart once so I guess I could pay to do it but pretty bad attitude on their part. Rant over.
Yes,some of these repair shops are just Gosh Darn'd Greedy*&*Ridiculous!!!!!/Seems like the Techs are gettin Lazier by the minuet - & if that Aint bad enough,they're now wantin $130+an hour!!?!!\SOUNDS TO ME LIKE THE PROBLEM(IF IT WAS DIAGNOSED BY THEM?) SHOULD'VE BEEN RESOLVED THE 1st Time!?!-Like I said,Techs are gettin LAZIER:( :unsure: (n):cautious::(:whistle:

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
1,395 Posts
I know for a lot of newer Kawasaki it is the same, my Z900 has the same procedure, found out when I thought my ecu flash cancelled out the evap purge solenoid and removed it, immediately set engine light so I reinstalled it and blocked it off, after 3 drive cycles the next time I started the bike the code went away. Not sure the exact year and models this became the procedure but seems like it works for a lot of them.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would have thought just resetting the ECU would clear up any residual error codes if the problem is resolved. It's normally a voltage difference through a sensor that trips a code. After a reset codes are cleared and if the problem is still there it will throw an error again.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Said they only get paid to take it apart once so I guess I could pay to do it but pretty bad attitude on their part. Rant over.
If you're talking about warranty work, then they're right. If the book says the job takes 2 hours, Kawasaki pays the shop for 2 hours labor. Whether or not it makes sense to reassemble the bike while they wait for parts, depends on how much work is involved balanced against the space your bike takes up in the shop. What you're apparently expecting them to do is hand you all of the labor cost of reassembling the bike, then disassembling it again when the parts come in. In reality, that would mean that the shop is eating all of the labor cost of the repair. Because you don't want to give up a few days of riding?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, that makes sense if they don't have space they might kick it back to me. I've got a few other bikes so I will just leave it. Tried my best to trouble shoot it. Even took the Air Sensor and hooked it up to a meter and put it in hot oil and cold icy water and read the resistance. Tested good. Checked everything that the service manual said to do with the wiring and the ECU output. Only thing the SM says is the ECU is toast. (800 bucks) I'm under warranty until next February. Bike has been trouble free until this. Still runs great only the CEL is on is the only issue. I guess I could put some black tape over it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts