Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have worked out a design for incorporating a reverse Gear system for the Vulcan 900.
I have noticed a lot of bikers using small trailers attached to their bikes.I often wonder if it becomes necessary to go backwards what the situation. will be

The design uses high reduction ratio,solenoid activation .Will cost about $100.00

Have the BLUE PRINT on my desk

WHAT U BIKERS THINK

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I have worked out a design for incorporating a reverse Gear system for the Vulcan 900.
I have noticed a lot of bikers using small trailers attached to their bikes.I often wonder if it becomes necessary to go backwards what the situation. will be

The design uses high reduction ratio,solenoid activation .Will cost about $100.00

Have the BLUE PRINT on my desk

WHAT U BIKERS THINK
Design and build a gearbox with a 6th gear and you will be "golden".

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I could see where someone with a trailer, or someone with a little less leg strength would be interested in something like that. Getting the word out and marketing it would be the tricky (and possibly expensive) part.

Oh, and another vote for 6th gear!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Not to me it wouldn't.

Someone with a trike kit might be interested though.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Someone with a trike kit might be interested though.
most trike kits offer a electric reverse option. Most mfg utilize a starter motor and necessary gear and/or belts & 'lectrics. meaning the solutions are already in the market stream.

having ponied up for this option on my trike, I will comment that it was for the most part unecessary. Tho it allows for you to park most any where you want including nose down, pushing a trike backward is easier than a mc. It wont tip over on you and you dont have to maintain balance as you precisely apply inverse steering. I can push my huge trike backward sitting on it with less effort than my v2k.

summation: $1500 wasted. out, ponch.
same goes for that raked steering kit. nuther $1500 wasted. save yor dough

·
Registered
35 Posts
$100 verses $1500 is a huge difference in price. That being said, more bikers would opt for a reverse option that is so inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The 900 is so light weight, I wouldn't think there would be a large market for an add-on reverse gear. I've even parked nose down (slightly) without worrying about backing it up. Of course, I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs, so some of the shorter legged riders might think differently.

Most folks pulling trailers, at least the ones I speak to, are in the habit of finding a spot to park that doesn't require backing up at all, as do most 4 wheel vehicles (or larger) that pull trailers. Backing up is usually their last consideration, with the challenges of backing up with a trailer, and I think backing up with a trailer on a bike would just compound those challenges.

As has been stated before though, a 6th gear option would probably have people lined up for hours!

·
Registered
17 Posts
What Sajourner said. 6th gear will make you rich..Well I said the rich part. Im a big dude 5.3 125 pounds. I really havent a need for it. But I dont tow a trailer.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
keepin it simple

$100 verses $1500 is a huge difference in price. That being said, more bikers would opt for a reverse option that is so inexpensive.
miss, there is no such thing. $100 rev drive system. thats just a pipe dream. that little money wouldn't get you the plans. let alone the materials, fabrication, assembly, installation, calibration.. not to mention the mechanical/electric lockouts to keep you from engaging rev while in forward gear or vs/vs. $1000 might not be enough. The mere $1500 CSC charges is that most of these functions are already engineered into their drive system.(that still doesn't make it worthwhile).
On top of $100 not being any where near true, it probably wouldn't work if at all that well anyway. also it would be complicated and prone to failures and breakdowns. more stuff to go wrong.

Then of course there is the praticality side of the thing. It isn't. so try to justify dropping serious coin for something nobody really wants or needs is an exercise in... well lets just call it an exercise. not much will come of it.

ever heard the term KIS? What motorcyclist want most from there skoot is an escape from all the junk they deal with everyday. Less is More when it comes to your skoot.. its best just to KIS it. sorry for the rant. out, ponch

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well this is the kind info i am looking for.Based on comment from other forum,also it seems that the very big bikes is where the demand will be.

Looking at the 6 gear option intra gear box versus scootworks GR lowering pulley/s versus price. I will appreciate all comments.Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't be discouraged by other forum posters. Rarely does someone come up with an idea like the reverse gear for the Vulcan. The idea of a "6" speed transmission is great, but i am sure it would not be cost effective. If it was, Kawasaki would have already done it.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I tow a trailer and just look for the right parking space. None there, its easy to back ip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts