Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Too big and heavy for the older crowd that likes to ride. It outweighs all the Geezer Glides.............:D

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
It is extremely popular to those who ride the bike, but never gained a lot of traction outside a select few. The stats on paper scare people away.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It is extremely popular to those who ride the bike, but never gained a lot of traction outside a select few. The stats on paper scare people away.
Which stats would that be?

I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who doesn't mind if I take his 04 out any time I please. I had a little over 3000 mile of seat time on it. When I compare it to my 06 nomad, I would have to say that fit and form feel almost like the same machine. The v2k is slightly longer requiring more effort in slow speed manuvering but honestly doesn't feel much different to me. Until I hit the throttle that is. I honestly have no idea why they would quit producing such a smooth and powerful engine. It even gets better fuel economy than my 1600 despite making almost twice the power.

All my wants and needs would be taken care of if I could get one in my nomad. I can't think of a better combo than the two. Next question is. Will there be an equivelent replacement in the future to satisfy the riders who currently own v2k's and undoubtedly will not be satisfied with anything else the two wheel market has to offer as a factory production powerplant in a basic cruiser platform?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Which stats would that be?
I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who doesn't mind if I take his 04 out any time I please. I had a little over 3000 mile of seat time on it. When I compare it to my 06 nomad, I would have to say that fit and form feel almost like the same machine. The v2k is slightly longer requiring more effort in slow speed manuvering but honestly doesn't feel much different to me. Until I hit the throttle that is. I honestly have no idea why they would quit producing such a smooth and powerful engine. It even gets better fuel economy than my 1600 despite making almost twice the power.

All my wants and needs would be taken care of if I could get one in my nomad. I can't think of a better combo than the two. Next question is. Will there be an equivelent replacement in the future to satisfy the riders who currently own v2k's and undoubtedly will not be satisfied with anything else the two wheel market has to offer as a factory production powerplant in a basic cruiser platform?
NO basically its kinda like druggs, they sold a few of us some really killer mojo and then they took it away.. NOTHING else is gonna compare. folks 'round here think that we are just boasting when we go on and on about this MOTOR forget the bike chassis its sitting in. Its the MOTOR that has gott us hooked.
Ive recently acquired a 14 Indian with 111ci motor which is a very fine sled, butt I will make no bones about it doesnt compare to the WhooHoo factor my v2k produces all day long. and i just finished a 2500 mile ride on both.
The only thing I think that any of us can do at this point is to just BUY as many left over v2k's sitting out there and put them away for later.
If somebody has any cajonies (I may have to do this) they will take that 125ci monster and put it in a Voyager chassis just to show it can be done..and that Kaw really screwed the pooch with that wimpy v17 they pulled out of thier ass.
butt then if your spending this kinda coin and work, most kustom fabricators wont waste their time/money on a factory chassis, but rather slam into some pro-street frame. lotts of this on the Inet.

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
Most people look at it and see a rhino not know that once its off the kickstand its a big agile tiger, as far as replacement there is no replacement for displacement but I could see myself on a hd breakout or yamaha warrior and turn the v2k into a tourer or if I go tourer a goldwing valkyrie or fb6 or a victory cross country and keep the v2k naked

·
Registered
987 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
I agree with most.

I have talked to the wife about finding a low mile 2010.
I like the color combo.

Until then, I just keep putting miles on the '08.

But the reason they quit making it is because it just didn't sell.

Too big was what people thought. Those of us who actually looked deeper found that it really was great and bought it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
At 1 time there was the 900, the 1500, and the V2K. Then the 1500 turned into the 1600 and eventually the 1700. My guess is that Kaw didn't see the need to have 2 big displacement bikes in the game (especially with non-HD cruisers on the decline) and saw the 1700 as a more versatile platform. I'm not saying I agree, this is just my speculation.

I remember when I was first starting to ride ('09). I sat on a VN900 and it seemed like such a big bike. Then I sat on a V2k and it seemed HUGE! I was scared of it and it wasn't even running! Later, when I was looking to get a bigger bike than the 900 I shopped around and realized that the V2K actually sits a bit lower than the 1500/1600/1700 style dual shock frame (or at least it felt like it), which is a plus for a guy with a 30 inch inseam.

The V2K is a big, big bike. Park one next to something like a Street Glide and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yep, it makes my boss's Heritage Softail look like a toy.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Sorry for the stark view, but it's all about the bottom line.

If they were making sales and margin targets there'd still be VN2Ks coming off the production line.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Sorry for the stark view, but it's all about the bottom line.
If they were making sales and margin targets there'd still be VN2Ks coming off the production line.
10yrs behind, Kaw finally woke up and switched production to Baggers as the market had turned away from Cruisers. Butt heads followed the hardley crowd with a Me Too solution taking their small v15-16 and making a "smooth=boring" wimpy motor v17. Instead of being Leader in this industry they chose to follow.

The kicker is they have a Better Motor already. It has proven itself with a half dozen years preproduction and 7yrs in customers hands. Yes the all too big cruiser platform Failed to reach critical mass in the sales. It was the package and marketing that was a misfit.
Kaw could have just as easily fitted their Best Motor into their new chassis platform and absolutely Killed the competition in performance and SALES.

I have owned, ridden, wrenched, modified dozens of motors and cycles. This v2k motor is by far the BEST motor ever put between two wheels. Kaw just flatt fuk'd up their vaq-voy series with that wimpy v17 choice they made.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
yeppers, Poncho is correct.

Bottom line is.. well.. didn't have much of a bottom line. Just didn't sell.

And there was two reasons.

1) Most people thought the bike was to big and it was to heavy.

But it's not.

Weight Comparisons: - no bags, no fairing and stock components.

Weight is Curb weight.. meaning full tank of gas and ready to go

900 Classic - 619lbs
1700 Classic -761 lbs
2000 (standard model - bug head light). Weight 817 lbs

So yea, the V2K is 56 lbs heavier.

That's it. 56lbs. And remember, that's gas tank full weight.

And the V2K sits 2 inches lower to the ground. Something else most people don't realize. It has a very low center of gravity.

2) Market Changed

Kawasaki spent six years doing market research back in the mid-late 90', trying to figure out what the average male wanted in a bike.

Remember.. this was back in the 90's.. what was the overall-theme of America back then? Bigger is better, right? "Go big or Go Home"?

They then spent another three years in the design stage.

So, nine years from start of research till the first bike came off the line.

The problem was.. the market changed.

Now people wanted a "touring" bike.

They wanted built on bags that "flowed" with the bike (not looking like an obvious aftermarket add-on).

They wanted a fairing. Then they wanted a frame mounted fairing.

I can understand them dropping back to the 1700 for vaq-voy series.. initially that is. The V2K has a large motor in it.

Think about it, the V2K came out in 2004, with a 125cubic inch engine. A decade later, and the biggest production bike is what, 109 cubic inch? 113? (keep the comparisons only to the major bike producers..)

But now that the bikes ARE getting bigger again. I think it's time for Kawasaki to revisit the V2K. Take the motor and put it in a true touring bike.

Shoot, I'd buy one instantly.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
time to go digging

Im gonna hafta break down and go dig that ol PC out of the warehouse with all the data and pix of this v2k motor. when you see this thing broken down into its pieces then you will understand ALL that Kaw put into this work of art.

its NOT just that this thing is a whopping 125ci.. its HOW this thing is a whopping 125ci..
First, its got BIG ASS 4" Bores
Dos, its got BIGGER ASS 5" Strokes.
Cee, its got 22lb Fly Wheel
then, its got 2 humongous counter balancers, 1 front 1 back.
It is a semi-dry sump config meaning the Crank and Flywheel sit LOW in the cases.
It has 4 valve heads with YES! push rod activation. minimize all that overhead valve train-weight.. dont give me that shit about OHC and DOHC's. that bs is for small bore small stroke motors that NEED to spin fast to squeak out mouse farts..
this Monster makes more Tork at Idle than those lil motors do wailing at red line.
And it makes a Ton of Tork climbing straight up to 2k rpm 125ft/lbs, then levels off thru 3k rpm where its pumping out 145ft/lbs, is more than your John Deer.
So it never NEEDs to Spin fast to make power, but only just shovels it out in bushels while still in sleepy mode. Those with the idea that they have to spin their motors faster and faster are just blowing noise in the wind.
Sixth, speeds.. who needs it? if you use the right gear spacing = WIDE and Tall aka Eurogears, 5 is plenty... and with this motor output its not like your gonna be doing a whole lot of shifting anyway.

but for the skeptics and naysayers out there, they dont ride this motor (fear), so they wont ever KNOW what why it is the best dam thing Kaw ever did. rite before they went and skrewed the pooch v17. poncho

·
Registered
370 Posts
Im gonna hafta break down and go dig that ol PC out of the warehouse with all the data and pix of this v2k motor. when you see this thing broken down into its pieces then you will understand ALL that Kaw put into this work of art.

its NOT just that this thing is a whopping 125ci.. its HOW this thing is a whopping 125ci..
First, its got BIG ASS 4" Bores
Dos, its got BIGGER ASS 5" Strokes.
Cee, its got 22lb Fly Wheel
then, its got 2 humongous counter balancers, 1 front 1 back.
It is a semi-dry sump config meaning the Crank and Flywheel sit LOW in the cases.
It has 4 valve heads with YES! push rod activation. minimize all that overhead valve train-weight.. dont give me that shit about OHC and DOHC's. that bs is for small bore small stroke motors that NEED to spin fast to squeak out mouse farts..
this Monster makes more Tork at Idle than those lil motors do wailing at red line.
And it makes a Ton of Tork climbing straight up to 2k rpm 125ft/lbs, then levels off thru 3k rpm where its pumping out 145ft/lbs, is more than your John Deer.
So it never NEEDs to Spin fast to make power, but only just shovels it out in bushels while still in sleepy mode. Those with the idea that they have to spin their motors faster and faster are just blowing noise in the wind.
Sixth, speeds.. who needs it? if you use the right gear spacing = WIDE and Tall aka Eurogears, 5 is plenty... and with this motor output its not like your gonna be doing a whole lot of shifting anyway.

but for the skeptics and naysayers out there, they dont ride this motor (fear), so they wont ever KNOW what why it is the best dam thing Kaw ever did. rite before they went and skrewed the pooch v17. poncho
Yeah go and find that old computer, get that stuff off it, (I have asked before) I want to see it.
I am starting to agree that this is the best motor ever made for a bike, I LOVE the motor, and the build quality of this whole bike is just amazing, its built like a tank. But it has so much style and class, I don't think they could have built this bike any better.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The fit and finish is awesome and the way the tank curves over the motor is perfect. I tell my wife every couple of weeks (because she worked the magic with the budget so we could get it)... 'have I told you how much I love the bike? Thanks, honey.'

I tend to keep my stuff for a very long time and I use my stuff too. I couldn't find any bad reviews about this thing that would sway me from my purchase and I came to this bike by accedent. I was looking at a Boulavard C50T but discovered that they had longevity issues, 30K-80K mile motors. I put 47K in 5 yrs on my 30yr old Honda before buying this one, so that kind of mileage before catastrophic engine failure wasn't going to cut it. From there I started looking at a VN900LT, which was looking promising, but reviews were saying low on power while 2up. While calling around looking for a 900, I found (2) V2Ks on consignment at the same shop. The research began on 'the big'un', as the salesman called it, and the rest is history.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
as a cruiser v2k can't be beat. that was Kaws intention going in. Market target moved and cruisers were out, Baggers were in. Kaw failed to recognize this and kept pumping this thing out as a cruiser, With bags LT (lettuce & tomato) butt it was still a cruiser and a Bigg Ass one! It failed the sales test.
09 The lite bulb (they gott jus one) finally came on and Kaw produces a full fledged Tour (not the nomad) rigg. Butt dumbasses (only gott one lite bulb) chose to use a small Square OHC mouse fart motor so it will be smooth well mannered and docile = neutered, when they already had the Best Motor on the planet in thier hands.
09 I walked into a multi brand dealer and saw that new Voyager all decked out with State of Art Tour features and integrated design. Then I saw that new fangled fancy on the outside - dumbed down on the inside = PC motor. The first thing I said to the salesman was Kaw really fucked up this new bike with that shit motor. If they would have put thier v2k motor in this package I'd buy it now.
Let's see it's been 7yrs since i bought my v2k. In the meantime, I've bought another half dozen bikes. Nope not one has been a kaw or VoyVaq series. I had my time with my 02 meanstreak. Good bike smooth wimpy motor. VVs are same DNA. smooth n wimpy.

Style wise v2k is the biggest baddest cruiser with the heart of a beast. I stripped, chopped, slammed, bobbed and Ratt this thing six ways to Sunday and it is still one of my fav bikes to ride. poncho

1 - 20 of 44 Posts