Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some expert shed some lights on exhaust bluing happening under the bags area on both sides? There are exact two spots on either side of exhaust this is happening?

Could it be the location of catalytic converters? Any pointers on how to remove those? Or is there a way to get chrome back to its shine by removing those spots.

Prior owner told me that spots may have happened as bike was running way lean and he got Ivan's tune in fall of 2020 but bluing didn't go away.

Recently I found out that the main issue was the really clogged up fuel filter which I fixed.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic
31 Posts
Google "remove bluing from motorcycle exhaust". There are several products displayed. As for why it's there on the mufflers I have no idea. Best of luck, Dirk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Google "remove bluing from motorcycle exhaust". There are several products displayed. As for why it's there on the mufflers I have no idea. Best of luck, Dirk
Thanks Dirk.

I tried a product called "Blue Jar" and followed instructions but it didn't help in removing blue spots. It improved a tiny bit only. I also tried a product called "Autosol" blue remover and that didn't remove most of bluing either.

Any other product that has really great reviews?

Any one knows if those are the spots where Cat Converters are? Any instructions on how to remove those>

·
Registered
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic
31 Posts
Most of the videos show repeated applications of their product on headers but none look like the chrome on your exhaust pipes. The pattern suggests high heat going into a short section then high heat again coming out. If it is the catalytic converters then they must be restricted, or damaged by an effort to make the pipes louder ?? Anyway looks like it's caused by something going on inside the pipes so what's to say that it won't continue to get blue after you get it cleaned up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What brand of exhaust are those?
Does not look stock to me
I have no idea and no markings on it. Prior owner mentioned to me that these are stock exhaust.

I saw that stock exhaust on @VLR20777 bike was different than mine when I met him last Saturday. I thought that maybe 2009 model that he has that type of stock exhaust but by 2012 model they may have changed

I will have to look closely again to see if I find any engraved name or stickers etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure, but I vaguely remember from my car modding days, running lean can cause that. I could be wrong but in case no one that knows for sure chimes in, it should be easy enough to check your mixture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can some expert shed some lights on exhaust bluing happening under the bags area on both sides? There are exact two spots on either side of exhaust this is happening?

Could it be the location of catalytic converters? Any pointers on how to remove those? Or is there a way to get chrome back to its shine by removing those spots.

Prior owner told me that spots may have happened as bike was running way lean and he got Ivan's tune in fall of 2020 but bluing didn't go away.

Recently I found out that the main issue was the really clogged up fuel filter which I fixed. View attachment 252233
Hi ihave a pair of exhaust to sell

·
Registered
2012 Nomad
1,097 Posts
Does your bike have the stock intake on it?
Have you looked under the seat to see if anyone has put a tuner on it by chance?

Have you checked the air filter to see if it is clogged up?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does your bike have the stock intake on it?
Have you looked under the seat to see if anyone has put a tuner on it by chance?

Have you checked the air filter to see if it is clogged up?
Yes, stock intake but added K&N filter. Also have stock filter too. Both air filters are fine.

There is no tuner but ecu has Ivan's tune from late last year.

·
Registered
2012 Nomad
1,097 Posts
Before you had the flash done, did you fill out the form letting him know everything was stock?

·
Registered
958 Posts
The previous owner told you that the bluing occurred because the bike was running very lean before he had it flashed by Ivan? Bluing is caused by extreme heat, and a lean condition will do that.

I don't believe there's any way to remove that bluing once it's occurred - the pipes will need to be replaced. If I were you, and if you don't want to fit aftermarket slipons - I'd jump on that offer from Crowdplezer 1, who obviously has a set of pipes available after he triked his Voyager?

Now that it's Ivanized,, and you've confirmed the intake is all good, the issue should not repeat.

·
Registered
2017 Vulcan 900 Classic
687 Posts
This right here!!

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

The previous owner told you that the bluing occurred because the bike was running very lean before he had it flashed by Ivan? Bluing is caused by extreme heat, and a lean condition will do that.

I don't believe there's any way to remove that bluing once it's occurred - the pipes will need to be replaced. If I were you, and if you don't want to fit aftermarket slipons - I'd jump on that offer from Crowdplezer 1, who obviously has a set of pipes available after he triked his Voyager?

Now that it's Ivanized,, and you've confirmed the intake is all good, the issue should not repeat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts