Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being I just installed some free cobra straight pipes on my 2006, I had a bit too much fun with the sound on satuarday. So much that the back tire got loose more times that I had planned. Are these bikes able to take it? I normally do not drive this way.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I caught myself doing 90 once. Why is you back tire coming loose? Once I noticed I was doing 90 only two questions came to mind.
1. Should I slow down?
2. Can I hit 100?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hit 103 on the clock....changed pants repeated

On my trip from Dallas to Seattle in October, I hit 103 on some abandoned highway and felt suddenly uncomfortable. Should not have looked down at the speedo. Dropped down to a more respectful 90.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I meant is opening throttle wide in every gear and reving enough that the rear wheel broke loose in 1st and 2nd.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Have never broke-m-loose (on dry pavement) but not trying to either. But as "jimmy 74" stated, if you have not hit the limiter in the first couple gears your not revving it hard.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I use to ride it pretty hard but have had an issue with drive pulley wear on the drive shaft splines causing the drive pulley to come loose. Proper repair requires replacing spline shaft and pulley which requires splitting the case etc. ($2-$3K repair). I have it patched up with loctite 660 and am fairly gentle on the throttle now.

Not sure if the issues is just related to the fact kawasaki does not use anti fretting compound during assembly, the fact that the belt spec is too tight (IMO) or hard accelerating was the cause. I suspect all three of those.

Kawi belt tension 1.5 - 4mm, HD 8-10 mm, Victory 32mm. If I recall correctly yamaha is similar to HD. I think the Kawi spec is too tight so I keep my belt in the 8-10 mm range now.

WB

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i wonder if i should wire up my old garmin zumo 550 i have laying around not doing anything, i found (+) and (-) accessory leads inside the headlight bucket, I could wire up to those and have always powered on gps without key on power, that means when i stop for gas and shut off the bike the gps is still on, what do ya think? should I install this old gps or forget it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd totally hook that baby up. I noticed those leads in my bucket too, and wondered what the heck they were for. Just assumed it was pre-wired for driving lights or something.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
What is going on in this thread? :laugh2:

I never spun anything on my 900. To be honest, I didn't think it would do it without popping the clutch or a slick road surface. I did like to pin it through the gears occasionally and to keep the RPM up sometimes, but I took care of it maintenance wise.

Now, I do good upkeep on my bikes, but I wring the 250's neck every single time I ride it. I have tested the top speed (78mph) several times and routinely hit the rev limiter. Doing stuff like that on the big bike can be downright scary. Redlining it in 2nd gear gets up to around 90mph, and doesn't take very long to get there.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hijacked thread, or to follow the train of posts, if you "Drive your 900 like they stole it" the rider may need an ancient Garmn to know to where to ride it . . . .??? :laugh2:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can;t ride my XV1900 that way as it is too scary.......but it is fun to pound on the 900 at times.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I guess I ride it like I own it... thinking engines that live in the middle rpms last a lot longer than ones that are lugged or redlined. I never had a use for the top third of the rev range on any of my bikes. I don't know, it just feels like abuse to run there.

I had a GS110G and now have a Versys 1000, where going up there is nuts. I start feeling like a monkey with a machine gun. Sump'n bad gonna happen, real soon.. :devil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts