Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a bike rally where some asshat clipped my 09 Voyager Fairing and broke a chunk out of it. I am heartbroken and trying to figure out where I can get a reolacement. The 09 Black / titanium cowling on Partzilla is listed for $1,249.00 that is bad enough but the worst part is that has also been declared as obsolete! Does anybody have any good ideas on where I could obtain an undamaged Fairing skin close to some flavor of silver and black (Not necessarily Titanium) other years have slightly different shades of silver that wouldn't look too bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
I would think the dufuss had insurance they should cover it. Take it to body shop and get a quote.
You can also look at salvage yards for parts.

Common for me with kids n snowmobiles....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would have been nice if the Asshole had left a note on the bike with a phone number but No such luck! I am trying a Marine epoxy sand down and touch up painting. I see that Partzilla has fairing skins for other years that might be a slightly darker grey than my 09 Titanium for $800 if this epoxy solution doesn't work. Sure makes me feel better about when I knocked over a parked Goldwing at a poker run a couple of years ago. after I got his bike picked up I found the guy and told him told him to send me the $900 bill for the busted mirror that had to be color matched. Doing the right thing is sometimes painful but not as painful as a guilty conscience for NOT doing the right thing. But then again some people (AKA Assholes) don't have a conscience! It also bothers me that a bike can be nearly totaled for getting knocked over in a parking lot (all it would take would be a couple of busted pieces of Tupperware)

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Most motorcycle fairing parts are made out of ABS. Your epoxy adhesive will not bond and adhere to it. So don't waste your time. Yes, it may appear to stick to it but it won't stay stuck because it will not chemically bond with ABS. You need to buy a special applicator gun and a two part cartridge from an auto body shop for fixing bumper covers. They will sell either 3M or the Lord Fusor product line. Both companies make a product for ABS repair. And it is sandable and it will stay stuck to it. I would also recommend you buy some Lord Fusor 163, which will condition the area for better adhesion of their product. If you look on Amazon you can find Lord Fusor products, probably 3M too. Buy the Fusor 153 or 143 adhesive. 153 cures slower to allow more time to work with it. This stuff is sandable when cured.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I high-sided my Voyager a few years ago, with a predictable and significant amount of damage resulting to right side fairing, bag, & lower. I replaced the lower, front & rear crash bars, the handlebars and some little bits of plasti-chrome trim, but had the fairing and right side bag repaired at a plastic welder body shop.

They did an awesome job, and a visit to a paint shop afterwards had them match the color perfectly. Even with a close examination of the inside of the bag, there's nothing to suggest there has ever been any damage at all. The plastic welder told me it was an easy plastic to work with.

We don't have compulsory insurance down here, and I've never insured any of my motorcycles. What I've saved in premiums over about 40+ years of riding I see as a fairly large pool of savings available for repairs. I spent about two years worth of premiums on this repair, so I figure I'm still well in credit.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I have used the 3M DP 805 and have a couple applicators. I have repaired saddle bags and broken/cracked fairings on several of my scoots. I need to do a touch up on my Voyager from where the wind blew it over to repair some deep scratches. It works. I will say the first time you use it, it sucks. I would recommend practicing on some scrap pieces of small ABS sheets. Then when you are comfortable repair the fairing. It does not take as much epoxy as it looks like it might. Just take your time. It does sand well after you let it dry a couple of days.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Well hell, I think I'm moving to New Zealand. :)

We don't have compulsory insurance down here, and I've never insured any of my motorcycles. What I've saved in premiums over about 40+ years of riding I see as a fairly large pool of savings available for repairs. I spent about two years worth of premiums on this repair, so I figure I'm still well in credit.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I won't get in the have/have not insurance if it is not necessary forum discussions. But I carry full coverage on everything. My oldest daughter got ran over 6 years ago on one of my motorcycles. She and the person riding with her medical bills were over $850,000 dollars. All I paid was $250 dollars. It was a hit and run so the douche bag that ran probably had no insurance.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I won't get in the have/have not insurance if it is not necessary forum discussions. But I carry full coverage on everything. My oldest daughter got ran over 6 years ago on one of my motorcycles. She and the person riding with her medical bills were over $850,000 dollars. All I paid was $250 dollars. It was a hit and run so the douche bag that ran probably had no insurance.
I can understand your system in the USA, and certainly wouldn't consider setting foot in your country without full comprehensive insurance, particularly if I'm riding.

I have full insurance on my expensive cars, what we call "third party fire & theft" only on the less expensive cars, but nothing on the bikes. The difference is that our health system in NZ is interwoven with ACC (The accident compensation corporation), and healthcare is supposed to be free. There's sometimes delay & waiting lists for non-essential surgery, but accident related surgery is immediate, and paid for through taxes, and an ACC levy on vehicle registration.

One of the downsides of motorcycle riding down here though is that the ACC levy on the registration fee for a motorcycle is exorbitant. It costs getting on for 10 times more to register a bike each year than a late model car, simply because their stats show that motorcyclists are injured at a higher rate than occupants of a car, so motorcyclists foot the hospital bill accordingly. That compulsory levy is pretty much the NZ equivalent of compulsory insurance, but by another name. Additional motorcycle insurance, even just 3rd party / fire / theft, is also very expensive by comparison to a car, so I've made a choice not to have it.

I know the stats, I see the injuries (I'm a LEO), I'm aware of the risks, and I comfort myself in the knowledge that without insurance I need to be very sharp and aware indeed, while I'm riding. And barring that one perfect storm of several little adverse events all occurring at one time in one sharpening corner on a wet unfamiliar road over Easter weekend of '14 - I guess I've been lucky.

Long may that continue.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Update.... I just had to fix a crack that popped open on the rear hinge of the trunk. SO I tried Plastifix... You can get it on Amazon... It was the easiest and quickest was to fix broken ABS I ever had to do. It will never break again as I put a 1/4 inch thick support strip across the upper hinge area to reinforce the side wall. Not it is far more sturdy and not flimsy when the trunk opens up. $45 for the kit. I used a ton of the abs powder and acrylic (?) and I did not even make much of a dent in the kits supply. Go watch a boobtube video on Plastifix.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Is that stuff from a guy in Nevada? I bought some of it but have not used it yet. It looks like a good product and there really is nothing else out there besides auto body catalyzed products that will chemically bond to ABS. And no, epoxy does not chemically bond to ABS. It just sticks to the surface and will come off.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I don't know if it is made in Nevada. ALl it is , is powdered abs in the color you want, and an acetone based solvent. I recently moved to Texas after 33 years in Nevada and I never heard of the product until I started looking for an ABS repair kit last week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I will second the recommendation for Plastifix. My buddy and I buy and rebuild bikes. Last year he bought a Kawi Concourse 14 that had been laid down on the right side destroying the fairings. We used Plastifix to rebuild all the fairings. It looks like Frankenstein on the backside but after using plastifix, sanding and painting, the bike looks brand new. Best part is, you can use this stuff to rebuild small missing pieces and rebuild broken tabs by cloning existing tabs. Check out the Youtube videos on this stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts