Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, Wondering if there are any Electrical Wizards on who might know if the 09, 900 Classic was built with an unused accessory circuit that might be used for accent lighting. Would like it to be "Ignition controlled" (dead when ignition turned off). It is for two 38 inch LED Strips, so very little draw. However, I would prefer not to cut into any Kawi designed circuits.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Papa Smrph

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yes in the headlight and under the seat. Whether or not they are key off power off I can not answer for sure but my assumption would be yes since it seems everything is off when the key is of

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
No, the accessory leads (one under the seat, one in the headlight) are ALWAYS hot. There is no keyed accessory connection. You'll need to install one yourself using a relay connected to an existing key-on circuit. Being LED's, you might get away with installing them without a relay, but still. No key-on accessory circuits stock.

·
Registered
698 Posts
No, the accessory leads (one under the seat, one in the headlight) are ALWAYS hot. There is no keyed accessory connection.
+ this. You might get away with splicing into the taillight wire depending on your wattage draw.

I haven't checked but maybe the diagnostic bundle near the battery has a switched positive?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just a quick thought - in some states accent lighting can be illegal while under power. You may be best off hooking it in directly to the 'always hot' accessory wires under the seat and then installing a switch somewhere - maybe on the speedometer housing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info

Guys, thanks for the info. I have not checked Ontario regs about Accent Lighting, buy will. Have seen a number of bikes with it and my wife has some on her's since last year, however that does not mean it is ok. Maybe we have just been lucky. Really appreciate the info. One final question. The "Under the Seat" Accessory circuit, how do I find it? Wire colour or location? Papa Smrph

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Guys, thanks for the info. I have not checked Ontario regs about Accent Lighting, buy will. Have seen a number of bikes with it and my wife has some on her's since last year, however that does not mean it is ok. Maybe we have just been lucky. Really appreciate the info. One final question. The "Under the Seat" Accessory circuit, how do I find it? Wire colour or location? Papa Smrph
Sure but he makes a good point. What if you ever leave ontario? Also, look carefully. Here in MO, there is no specific law that says you can't have accent lighting. HOWEVER, there IS a law specifically stating what kind of lighting you CAN have. Make sense? So I can have DOT approved tail lights, head lights, turn signals, etc. It's an inclusive list. So if I have something not on that list, or in the wrong spot (red front turn signals, etc.) I can get a ticket. That would include accent lighting. I know guys who have gone 10 years with it without so much as a warning, and I know guys who finally took them off after their third ticket! So you just never know.

·
Registered
698 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts