Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had a checkup at the doctor's office today. Cholesterol's borderline, lose a few pounds, blah blah blah.

It's a new doctor, my old doctor moved on to other things. I'm filling out a new questionaire and a couple of things caught my eye:

1) Do you wear a seatbelt? Yes/No
Well, I selected no. My bike doesn't come with a seatbelt.

2) Do you own a firearm? Is it secure?
I left this one blank. I'm trying to see both sides of this, but I can't justify the question. I don't go around telling people I own a firearm, you know? Anybody run into this before, and how did you handle it?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I don't think it is anybody's business (in the medical field) if you own a firearm or not. I would be asking why they want to know, and how it pertains to my health.

I believe I would tell them that my hand gun is always secure. It is securely placed on the shelf in my closet, or securely tucked behind the seat of my truck, or securely placed in the palm of my hand. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I really don't see sharing the knowledge, with just anyone, that I have firearms in the house. It's just not his business. Guess a shrink could justify the question, if you're a bit off your rocker, but I can't justify telling a GP about having guns. If you're in my neighborhood, then I can't hide it. The squad in the drive is a dead give away. However, I see no reason to notify any Tom, Dick & Harry, in writing, that I have a few guns. Who has access to that info? It may be a deterrent in some cases, but I can also see where it could be an invitation for someone to break in when we aren't home. I always wear a seatbelt when driving a car/truck but the bike is a laugh! Like many others, my office is a car and the seatbelt is an automatic thing. But, what purpose does the MD have in asking the question? I think I'd leave them both blank. Not relevant to the visit, and not his/her concern... Enough of Big Brother!

·
Administrator
12,005 Posts
It is none of their business and was in the news yesterday that under Obamacare, physicians will be required to ask you how often you have sex, and with whom. I answer no questions about what guns I own or where they might be kept.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Sex?

It is none of their business and was in the news yesterday that under Obamacare, physicians will be required to ask you how often you have sex, and with whom. I answer no questions about what guns I own or where they might be kept.
Yeah, right. Like everyone is going to answer that, and tell the truth. Again, none of their damn business!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Kinda sounds like a general questionnaire more for someone else than the GP, if they really don't need the info they the only reason they would ask is because someone else is paying them to ask. I think the same could be applied to both the seatbelt and firearm question. I have run across the seatbelt question a few times, mostly related to car/life insurance. Can't say I remember seeing the firearm question before.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Y'know, some folks are intimidated with authority figures and probably will answer the stupid questions.
Probably so but medical professionals are not "Authoritative" people in my eyes. I go to them when I have a problem and they offer me suggestions on what to do about my health. I will not go to jail for not taking my antibiotics at the exact time I am supposed to. I mean I am a reasonable person, and if something does not make sense to me, I am going to ask. If they do not give me a good reason (in my eyes) why, then I will refuse to answer.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another thing I noticed, and this struck me as interesting - the questionaire did not require a signature. There was, in fact, no place to sign it at all.

It gave me pause. The fact that I ride a motorcycle on the highway every day is probably way more relevant to my future health than the fact I may or may not own a firearm. I just can't understand the reason for the question. I should have asked, but I was in a rush to get to work on time. That, and I was curious if I was going to get pulled aside because I left the question blank.

At least there's a medical reason for asking about sex, how many partners, etc. If you're sexually active with multiple partners, I'm sure the doctor will make a habit of running tests for common STD's along with whatever blood tests they normally run.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
My buddy just posted something similar not long ago. He went to the Doctors office and was asked the same thing. Thought it was strange. You could argue, perhaps, an increased risk of injury. But; what of that is a concern for your primary care physician?

I don't think I'd answer it either.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Kinda sounds like information they would want for an insurance actuary.

I would say it's either related to O-care; to be tallied and used later for the approval process to get services.

Or some vendor or research group that's giving the doctor free supplies.
Have you ever noticed that 5 out of 6 dentists recommend every brand of toothpaste on the market?
Fill out a questionnaire from Crest and get a three months supply of rubber gloves and some drool bibs.

Whatever it is, I wouldn't answer it.
Netflix started sending me emails and popups when I log on asking who is watching which shows.
I ignore the emails and tell the popup that I watched SpongeBob, Steel Magnolias & The Outlaw Jose Wales. I'm eclectic that way.

Scott

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
My buddy just posted something similar not long ago. He went to the Doctors office and was asked the same thing. Thought it was strange. You could argue, perhaps, an increased risk of injury. But; what of that is a concern for your primary care physician?

I don't think I'd answer it either.
I see where you are going with that, but would that not be more reasonable (I still don't think it is) for your insurance company to be asking that, not the doctors. I know insurances are getting more and more out there with the questions they ask to calculate a premium.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Kinda sounds like information they would want for an insurance actuary.

I would say it's either related to O-care; to be tallied and used later for the approval process to get services.

Or some vendor or research group that's giving the doctor free supplies.
Have you ever noticed that 5 out of 6 dentists recommend every brand of toothpaste on the market?
Fill out a questionnaire from Crest and get a three months supply of rubber gloves and some drool bibs.

Whatever it is, I wouldn't answer it.
Netflix started sending me emails and popups when I log on asking who is watching which shows.
I ignore the emails and tell the popup that I watched SpongeBob, Steel Magnolias & The Outlaw Jose Wales. I'm eclectic that way

Scott
Wasn't facebook collecting general information like that from all the stuff you "Like". I have a FB account because so many places use it now. In my county you can check their FB page for jury duty information.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Wasn't facebook collecting general information like that from all the stuff you "Like". I have a FB account because so many places use it now. In my county you can check their FB page for jury duty information.
That's facebooks entire business model; targeted advertisement. That's why I always chuckle when there are these hoaxes that Facebook is going to 'charge'. You aren't the customer, you're the product.

It's genius, really. Get people to talk about all of the things that are important to them (It's not just 'likes', but also the things you post, who you are friends with, the profiles you visit, etc.) and then target them with advertisements. Then, you can charge the advertisers a big premium because their ads will only be shown to people with those interests! For example, I, like probably a lot of you, get a lot of motorcycle related ads! I also get ads for Psychology related jobs and graduate schools (my undergrad is in Psychology). Heck, when I went on Vacation in July and 'checked in' at the airport we had a layover at, I had ads on my facebook feed on my phone for airport restaurants (we had a layover in Denver). Benefits the user, because I don't get ads for Tampons and crap like that that is not only irrelevant but also kind of annoying. And of course it benefits the advertiser.

But I seriously doubt your doctor is trying to get marketing information!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I see where you are going with that, but would that not be more reasonable (I still don't think it is) for your insurance company to be asking that, not the doctors. I know insurances are getting more and more out there with the questions they ask to calculate a premium.
Exactly. Insurance is all about shared risk, and what portion of the risk pool do you take. Like it or not, that's why I pay more for car insurance despite a clean record (young age) but got a huge discount when I got married (Married men are less likely to be in an accident). It's all about the statistics. They don't know I've taken firearms safety classes, keep weapons secured, or have been shooting since I was 5. They would just know (if they asked) that I am in a statistically higher 'risk group' for injury. So I get that.

Why the Doctor needs to know I am not sure. And I'm really scratching my head here trying to figure it out; because I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt you know?

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm an insurance agent, and one of the questions that has never come out of my mouth is, "Do you wear a seat belt?"

Obamacare doesn't require the doctors ask if you own guns. It allows the doctors to ask, at their discretion, however.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'm an insurance agent, and one of the questions that has never come out of my mouth is, "Do you wear a seat belt?"

Obamacare doesn't require the doctors ask if you own guns. It allows the doctors to ask, at their discretion, however.
I could at least understand the seatbelt question. It's all about shared risk, and everyone pays their fair share. Statistics tell us that if you don't wear a seatbelt, you are more likely to be in an accident (losing control due to not remaining planted in your seat) and much, much more likely to be severely injured. So I could at least understand or justify that question, as it pertains to what their fair share of the risk pool is.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
With my health insurance, I would get charged an extra $20 per pay period if I marked being a smoker (I am not, but if I was). The only way to get it dropped is to participate in an approved tobacco cessation program. I get that, there is enough studies and tangible evidence that prove that it can be a hazard to your health.

You would have to be "crazy" to want to be an insurance (could not resist). I have attempted to follow the "Obamacare" stuff. Since my dad is not working any more. I don't make a lot of sense out of it. Kudos to you for trying.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With my health insurance, I would get charged an extra $20 per pay period if I marked being a smoker (I am not, but if I was). The only way to get it dropped is to participate in an approved tobacco cessation program. I get that, there is enough studies and tangible evidence that prove that it can be a hazard to your health.

You would have to be "crazy" to want to be an insurance (could not resist). I have attempted to follow the "Obamacare" stuff. Since my dad is not working any more. I don't make a lot of sense out of it. Kudos to you for trying.
I don't do health insurance. I'm licensed for it, mind you - I just stay away from it. It would thrill me to tears to never have to write another health insurance policy in my life, ever.

I'll smoke a cigar every now and again. Nothing quite like sitting on the porch, sipping on a shot of good bourbon whiskey while smoking a really good cigar. I'm not sure if that makes me a smoker or not...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Information like this is most likely destined for use as statistics.
Here is a quote I got from searching for " statistics about firearms in the home".

Medical costs from gun injuries and deaths cost $19 billion. The US taxpayer will pay half of that cost.
Direct medical costs for firearm injuries range from $2.3 billion to $4 billion, and additional indirect costs, such as lost potential earnings, are estimated at $19.0 billion.
Miller and Cohen, Textbook of Penetrating Trauma, 1995; American Academy of Pediatrics, 2000; Journal of American Medical Association, June 1995; Annals of Internal Medicine, 1998

If a medical professional is asking about guns or seatbelts; you can bet some government bureaucrat or private sector "advocacy" group is looking for a way to either profit or prohibit.

Scott

1 - 20 of 27 Posts