Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was gonna change my bike oil soon, but saw a video or something that said to warm the bike up for 10 minutes so when you drain the oil it flows better, but I feel like it also increases the chance of getting burned on the exhaust pipe or something (I don’t have a stand, I don’t know which stands will fit the 500, if anyone has some suggestions please feel free)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Yes, do warm the oil/engine before draining it. It flows much freer and drains more fully when warm.

The drain plug and filler are well away from the exhaust pipes and I’ve never had an issue with it. What kind of oil filter wrench do you have? A strap wrench is good. If you can find one that fits the top of the filter and can connect a ratchet to that is better.

A bike stand is not necessary but do straighten the bike up when draining to get out all the oil. I do this on the sidestand all the time.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, do warm the oil/engine before draining it. It flows much freer and drains more fully when warm.

The drain plug and filler are well away from the exhaust pipes and I’ve never had an issue with it. What kind of oil filter wrench do you have? A strap wrench is good. If you can find one that fits the top of the filter and can connect a ratchet to that is better.

A bike stand is not necessary but do straighten the bike up when draining to get out all the oil. I do this on the sidestand all the time.

Hope this helps.

Ohh okay I gotcha, I actually don’t have one I was just going to do it by hand

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
I don't start mine just let it drain for a little while. I use the K & N filter so it has a nut on the end(not me) for easy removal. (ok sometimes me)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Let mine run couple minutes,seems to drain better and hand tighten my filter,no leaks or problems in the 12 years i been changing the oil,do have a top filter wrench tho,when the filter is finicky

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let mine run couple minutes,seems to drain better and hand tighten my filter,no leaks or problems in the 12 years i been changing the oil,do have a top filter wrench tho,when the filter is finicky

If I can nab one cheap from harbor freight I’ll grab one

1 - 6 of 6 Posts